Start by marking “Paid In Blood (NCIS, #1)” as Want to Read:
Paid In Blood (NCIS, #1)

Paid In Blood (NCIS #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  504 ratings  ·  40 reviews
The death of a fellow NCIS agent in North Carolina leads Will Coburn and his special team of naval crime-scene investigators to discover a drug-and-arms smuggling ring. The investigation leads them to a U.S. military base in South Korea. When a body is stolen from a crime scene, the team discovers that their suspect is not who he seems. Nuclear weapons have gone missing, a ...more
Published April 20th 2006 by Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Paid In Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paid In Blood

Debbie
"Paid in Blood" is a detective suspense novel which ended like an action-packed military thriller. While the reader knows who the main bad guy is and the broad picture of his evil plan, the reader had to learn the details of the scheme along with the heroes and hope they'd solve it in time. Suspense was also created by the various family problems that the characters were dealing with and the physical danger at various points.

The forensic details of the investigation were excellent and woven into
Crystal Starr Light
I really enjoy the NCIS TV series (minus the copius sexual innuendos) and thought this would be a good, wholesome addition.

Plot:
An NCIS agent is killed when checking in on a coworker's stepson. Will Coburn and his team begin to investigate. As they wrap up the NCIS agent's murder, they realize that something worse is going on: military weapons are being smuggled. What follows is a fast-paced ride through the US, Korea, and Okinawa to find the culprits and stop the ultimate plan: to start World W
R Bartel
Will Coburn leads a specialized unit of NCIS (Naval Criminal Investigative Services) that goes beyond the ordinary police work of trying to solve murders. In fact, he and his team read crime scenes so well they can trace a good-deed-gone-terribly-wrong all the way to South Korea and back – because he and his team are not only well-trained forensicists, they’re also military personnel who know how to navigate the halls of military hierarchy and find what they need to solve their cases.

Qadir Yasee
Renne
Do you love a good military based story with plenty of action and take charge men and women? Then join Will Coburn and the rest of his NCIS team as they struggle in their personal lives and follow the pieces of the puzzle that begin with an NCIS agent being found murdered in North Carolina.
Dijea
This was awful.
Jedi Knight Siri
NCIS: Paid in Blood – Mel Odom

***Minor Spoilers***

Side note and disclaimer before I begin my review: Thanks to the CBS crime drama “NCIS”, many people know that NCIS stands for Naval Criminal Investigative Service. Millions of viewers (myself included) watch Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs and his team solve crimes involving naval personnel every Tuesday evening. Mel Odom’s NCIS series is not based on the NCIS TV show.

Odom has his own team of NCIS investigators. Commander William Coburn is a na
Bryan Ewert
Right from the beginning this felt a bit like an ops technical manual. The author spends too much time on specific technical details in a way that pulls the reader out of the experience. Here's an example:

"Maggie manned the digital 35mm Canon SLR. The single-lens-reflex camera was outfitted with a one-to-one system that offered eight megapixel shots that uploaded onto the gigabyte-size flash card. With the ratio resolution, the Canon could reproduce images that were actual size."

The verbose deta
Maria
Pros: Well, you will certainly not be bored while reading Paid in Blood! I was hooked in from the very beginning. The author is very good at making us fall in love with the characters by what they do or what they don't do. Even the characters who are making or have made mistakes are endearing because we want them to try and do the right thing (does that make sense?). On a different note, you will find so many plot twists throughout the story! I was constantly being shocked and thrown for a loop ...more
Tamara
PAID IN BLOOD by Mel Odom is filled with suspenseful twists and turns, riveting plots, and complex characters. What starts off as a murder investigation of one of their own NCIS officers, ends up leading Commander Colburn and his team to uncover a plot that links together terrorist from South Korea, Japan, Russia, and someone inside the United States Navy.

Though the genre I enjoy most is romance, which PAID IN BLOOD is not, I thoroughly enjoyed this action pack thriller and can’t wait to learn
Em
I've been reading a lot of religious books recently, because I've been able to get them free for my Nook. They tend to be chick flicks. One thing I noticed about this book was that, although it was religious, it wasn't geared towards the same audience as the rest of them were.

The NCIS team in this book, is investigating the death of a soldier, and ends up traveling to Chinhae in Korea. They suffer there, and there are ups and downs along the way, but eventually they solve the crime and save a lo
Rachel Osborne
Good, about NCSI team at Camp Lejeune.
Jeff Miller
Pretty decent military thriller with some Christian aspects. I have read some of the Fantasy books by the author before which I enjoyed and I came to find that he also wrote Christian fiction. This book is kind of CSI meets NCIS as a Navy team follows the clues around the world to stop a nuclear terrorist event.

Though as an ex-Navy Chief I noticed some incongruities in mixing up language from an Army/Marine Core perspective instead of the what sailors would have used.
Charlotte
Hated reading about Frank's death. Enjoyed seeing the team thwart the diabolical plan set in motion.
Stacy
A freebie for my Kindle. Since we love the two NCIS shows on TV, I was hoping I would like this one, and I was correct. Obviously different team members, but the same idea. Good crime procedural stuff, and clean, with slight Christian faith undertones. If I can find the others free or discounted, I would definitely read more in this series (or get them from Prime, if we ever join!).
Lisa
I enjoy CSI, so I loved the topic of this series. It was very interesting, and I liked the explanations of what and why the characters were doing certain things with the crime scene. However, the writing did not flow as smoothly as I would have liked. It jumped around alittle too much, so at times, I was confused. The ending was somewhat abrupts as well.
J. Ewbank
Enjoyed this book by Mel Odom. It was about international intrigue and has a large cast of characters. The cast is so large you might begin to lose track of all of them, but don't worry, the theme and the plot will get you back in.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Jeff
An engaging thriller that reads like a two hour movie from the CBS series, except its not. The other difference is a few mentions of "how can God do this etc" and the main characters pray out loud in their heads. So that's a little different. An entertaining rainy Saturday read.
Betty
Excellent book. If you go into the book thinking its going to be like NCIS you are mistaken. The characters a flawed and damaged and trying to solve brutal crimes and keep their faith in humanity and God. A lot of North Carolina references since the team is stationed here.
Emma
I don't normally read books where there is a tv series of them and in all honesty,I don't much like the tv show...but the book was free and surprisingly good. it felt a little bit rushed towards a conclusion which would be my only criticism...
Margaret
Aug 21, 2010 Margaret marked it as to-read
Recommended to Margaret by: Deena
Chantelle

The Christian stuff seemed a bit forced. I'm not opposed to Christian lit but I'd prefer that it appear part of the story. Instead, it seemed kind of shoved in to make it work and not an organic part of the story.
Siobhan (tigress5cubs)
Set in the military, this was an interesting read. For those of you who do not like a heavy religious aspect, skip this one. The characters pray a lot and talk about God a lot.
John
Had I known this was Christian fiction I probably wouldn't have picked it up. Still, it was a good read with plenty of action. Just a few too many sermons for me.
Ryan Rawlins
This was a great book. The characters were well rounded and personal, the plot compelled me to read on and finish the book I highly recommend this book
Patti
I really liked this book. this author writes Chrisitan Fiction, something that I don't read very often. He did a good job of not going over the top.
Brooke
more gruesome than i'm use to reading (what else did i expect from a book with "blood" in the title, but i really enjoyed the mystery and action.
Jack
An action thriller, with emphasis on American Christianity and shoot outs with the bad guys, who are stereotyped axis-of-evil terrorists
Holly
WOW! This was an excellent story with great characters. I'm looking forward to reading more about this NCIS Team.
Audrey Grant
Nov 29, 2011 Audrey Grant rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!!
Shelves: e-book
CHRISTIAN, NCIS...Two of my favs wrapped in one book!! Can't get much better! Thank you so much!! MORE PLEASE!!
Lori
It was an unexpected surprise that the three books in this series also included a positive Christian message.
  • Truth and Consequences (Hearts of the South, #1)
  • Thicker Than Blood
  • Whisper on the Wind (The Great War, #2)
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
  • The Justice Game
  • Shattered: A Daughter's Regret (Secrets, #2)
  • Disaster Status (Mercy Hospital, #2)
  • Blood Ransom
  • The Triumph of Grace (Grace in Africa, #3)
  • Medical Error (Prescription for Trouble, #2)
  • When the Devil Whistles
  • All Through the Night
  • Chasing Eden
  • Conspiracy in Kiev (The Russian Trilogy #1)
  • The Shepherd
  • The Homecoming
  • The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)
  • Listen

aka Jordan Gray

Mel Odom is a bestselling writer for hire for Wizards of the Coast's Forgotten Realms, Gold Eagle's Mack Bolan, and Pocket's Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel book lines. His debut SF novel Lethal Interface made the Locus recommended list . The Rover was an Alyx Award winner. He has also written
More about Mel Odom...
Apocalypse Dawn: The Earth's Last Days: The Battle Begins (Left Behind Apocalypse, #1) Unnatural Selection (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #19) Crossings (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 5, #5) Cursed (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6, #1; Angel: Season 3, #1) The Black Road (Diablo #2)