Start by marking “Ekiben: The Art of the Japanese Box Lunch” as Want to Read:
Ekiben: The Art of the Japanese Box Lunch

Ekiben: The Art of the Japanese Box Lunch

4.71 of 5 stars 4.71  ·  rating details  ·  7 ratings  ·  1 review
Shows and describes the contents of a variety of Japanese-style box lunches and discusses their background.

Over 150 full-color photographs of lunches in their containers, each accompanied by its name, the train station where it is sold, and notes on special design and culinary features.
Published October 1st 1989 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Ekiben, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ekiben

Jason Keenan
WARNING. AVOID IF HUNGRY. I flunked onto this book a few weeks back. It was in the window of a used book store and it drew me in. Though it looks brand new it was published in 1989. My wife assures me - between exclamations that we need to eat one of the ekiben - that despite the years the ekiben remain the same.

The book is a pictorial look at the railway lunch or bento ones one can pick up at train stations across Japan. It's fast food. But it's gourmet food too. Try not to eat the pages.

More...more
Merijn
Merijn added it
Apr 02, 2014
Brian K,
Brian K, marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Marc
Marc added it
Jan 26, 2014
Aouie
Aouie added it
Aug 07, 2013
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2012
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2009
Japanische Puzzlebox Himitsu Bako 1 1 Sep 18, 2014 11:04PM
Highballs High Heels: A Girl's Guide to the Art of Cocktails Beaches Off the Wall: Wonderful Wall Coverings of the Twentieth Century Patio Daddy-O: 50s Recipes with a '90s Twist Dude Food: Recipes for the Modern Guy