Start by marking “Till Morning Is Nigh (Country Road Chronicles #3)” as Want to Read:
Till Morning Is Nigh (Country Road Chronicles #3)

Till Morning Is Nigh (Country Road Chronicles #3)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  185 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
It is December of 1932, just one year after the Worthams and the Hammonds lost Wilametta Hammond and Emma Graham in one terrible night. The Christmas spirit seems largely absent again this year. George Hammond has disappeared, and Julia Wortham's house is filled with the Hammond children, several of whom are coming down with a mysterious illness.
Published October 1st 2007 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about Till Morning Is Nigh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Till Morning Is Nigh

Victoria
Jan 03, 2016 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE Leisha Kelly stories! While the stories uplift me, my heart is still saddened to have lost such a wonderful writer at such a young age. I cannot recommend her stories for those who like old-fashioned tales, and tales of simple Christians who truly live their faith.
Julia Wilson
Jan 02, 2015 Julia Wilson rated it really liked it
Till Morning Is Nigh by Leisha Kelly is set in December 1932, and told in the first person of Julia Wortham, a mother of three (two of her own, and Katie, whose mother left her to be a singer). This makes the reading of the novel much more personal, as the reader can identify with the character a Julia. The novel is a Christmas Wortham novel, I had not read any of the other novels in the series, but that did not hamper my enjoyment.
A year previously Wila Hammond had died, leaving ten children mo
Doris
Aug 30, 2013 Doris rated it really liked it
Well done story of a poor mountain family struggling with the first Christmas holiday after the death of their mother. The loss of his wife has unsettled their father, and he abandons them to the care of a neighbor, Mrs Wortham, and disappears. The story centers around the family bond and the need to keep going in the face of despair.

There were only 2 things about the story out of place, but the first one made it real - Rorey is not a likable child. She is all about herself and her feelings.

The
Margaret
Jul 23, 2012 Margaret rated it liked it
A sweet story with a good message, but very obviously the middle of a series and was not marked at such . There was nothing anywhere in the book to indicate that I was coming into the middle of a story in progress, and believe me I looked, as it was a little confusing. Finally, I looked online and found that indeed it is book #4 in a series of 7. I would not have started the book if I had known this. I did really like the overall message of the story, but it really didn't "stand alone" as some b ...more
Teresa
Dec 12, 2014 Teresa rated it liked it
A nice Christmas story.
Stacy
Nov 24, 2008 Stacy rated it really liked it
Another really good book in the Wortham family series. This book apparently bridges the gap between the first three and last three books. I read it before the holiday season as part of the Winter Reading Challenge, and it was a perfect book for this time of year.

Taking place in the Great Depression, it reminds me of just how truly blessed we all are now. We don't have to scrape for food and make our own clothes and gifts. This is a story of family and faith. Loved it :)
Krystal
Jan 23, 2009 Krystal rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-books
I got this book for Christmas from my mom - otherwise I probably wouldn't have read it. It was a sweet enough story but there were some missing details so I think it is either part of a series or the author is jsut not detail oriented! Not sure that I really cared enough about the characters to read more books in the series to fill in the gaps, though!
Kati
Sep 20, 2009 Kati rated it liked it
Another nice story about the Worthams and the Hammonds. I think I would have enjoyed it more to read it at the point in the series where it belonged time wise though. I had just finished the series and many of the characters were grown up. In this book they are all little, so it was hard to remember they were little kids again.
Darlene Ferland
Dec 21, 2013 Darlene Ferland rated it really liked it
Set in 1932 during the Depression, this book is a sweet story about loss, sorrow and the ability to overcome deep-seated sorrow during Christmas. A strong belief in Jesus and the innocence of children round out this lovely and moving story. . .
Becky
Dec 12, 2007 Becky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holiday-fiction
This old-fashioned Christmas takes place in 1932 in
a very difficult time in our country. The Wortham
family manages to have a blessed holiday in spite of
having too many mouths, too little money, and having
children ill. This is a Christmas of healing.
Judy King
Dec 25, 2011 Judy King rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in the hard times of 1930s (?) rural America. Nice Christmas story about friends, neighbors helping each other in times of need. Good characterization especially with some of the children in the story. Nice job....sweet story.
Aaron
Sep 20, 2008 Aaron rated it really liked it
This was a really cute little book. A book dosn't have to be epic to leave you feeling better for having read it. This is one of those books that is part of a series, but that you can read in any order I like that.
Janetkc7wvy
Nov 16, 2012 Janetkc7wvy rated it liked it
Was enjoyable but you never find out what happened to the kids mother of Katie's mother. After reading it I found it was part of a series.I guess you have to read the others to really understand.
Linda
Oct 26, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing
I am enthralled with reading the saga of the Wortham and Hammond families, the trials and tribulations that they have endured. Looking forward to reading about the continuing lives in the next book.
Lynnea
Dec 14, 2011 Lynnea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, christmas
short quick read. I loved the way the children played with the nativity - moving Mary and Joseph closer to "Bethlehem" as Christmas approached.
Darlene Wilson
Oct 20, 2008 Darlene Wilson rated it really liked it
A lovely little Christian story to get me in the mood for the approaching season. . . Reminded me of the hard time stories my mom used to tell.
Marie
Nov 12, 2008 Marie rated it really liked it
This is another great book about the Wortham and Hammond families. It takes place during the depression like her earlier 3 books.
Loraine
Nov 24, 2009 Loraine rated it it was amazing
This well-written depression era Christmas story shows how the joy of Christmas can overcome the pain of loss and hard times.
Kathy
Feb 13, 2008 Kathy rated it liked it
Recommended to Kathy by: Mom
A nice little book to read during the Christmas season about the Christmas spirit.
Stacy
Jan 15, 2009 Stacy marked it as to-read
another one I haven't read! I din't know this existed but I'll look for it
Holly
Dec 17, 2010 Holly rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! This is a wonderful series by a great author.
Sandy Forman-Johnson
Dec 27, 2012 Sandy Forman-Johnson rated it it was amazing
Makes you realize what is important in life. Very well done.
Jerry
Oct 18, 2012 Jerry rated it really liked it
A cute and sweet, if short, Yuletide novel.
Debbie
Jun 24, 2011 Debbie rated it really liked it
a beautiful loving book about love and family.
Christine
Dec 02, 2013 Christine rated it liked it
Nice Christmas story
Cws
Dec 04, 2008 Cws added it
Shelves: young-adult
YA Kel
Cheryl Wood
Cheryl Wood rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
Paula McArthur
Paula McArthur marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Rebekah Stephenson
Rebekah Stephenson rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Learning to Fly
  • One More Sunrise
  • Remember to Forget (Clayburn,#1)
  • Unwrapping Christmas
  • Wagered Heart
  • Illuminated (An August Adams Adventure, #1)
  • Blue Heart Blessed
  • Speak Through the Wind (Crossroads of Grace #2)
  • A Sandy's Seashell Shop Christmas
  • Splitting Harriet
  • Dawn of a Thousand Nights: A Story of Honor (World War II Liberator #3)
  • Miss Invisible
  • Double Cross (Taylor Pasbury, #2)
  • A Day with a Perfect Stranger
  • Small Town Girl (Rosey Corner, #2)
  • Second Chances (Seven Sisters, #1)
  • A Seeking Heart (Mountain Lakes #1)
  • That Christmas Feeling
aka L.A. Kelly

A resident of Clayton, Ill., Kelly authored 11 books, including the best-selling historical fiction series centered around the Wortham and Hammond families—published by Revell/Baker Publishing Group. Her most recent book, The House on Malcolm Street, was published by Revell in September 2010.

Kelly, who home-schooled her two children, served as children's ministry director and youth m
More about Leisha Kelly...

Country Road Chronicles (4 books)
  • Rorey's Secret (Country Road Chronicles, #1)
  • Rachel's Prayer (Country Road Chronicles, #2)
  • Sarah's Promise (Country Road Chronicles, #4)