Start by marking “Katie's Dream (The Wortham Family, #3)” as Want to Read:
Katie's Dream (The Wortham Family, #3)

Katie's Dream (Wortham Family #3)

The Fourth of July delivers more than just the local display of fireworks for Samuel and Julia Wortham. They return from the festivities in Dearing, Illinois, to find Samuel's brother Edward, out of prison and on their doorstep. Surprise turns to shock and confusion as Edward introduces a young girl named Katie and declares that Samuel is her father.

Samuel maintains his in
Published December 31st 2004 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published September 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Katie's Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katie's Dream

Shari Larsen
Aug 26, 2014 Shari Larsen rated it really liked it
This is book # 3 in The Wortham Family Series, taking place about 7 months after the events in the second book, Emma's Gift.

Samuel and Julia Wortham and their children are just returning home after the local display of fireworks on July 4th, 1932, when they find Samuel's brother Edward, who is just recently out of prison, on their doorstep. Shock and confusion follow when he introduces a young girl named Katie and claims that Samuel is her father.

Samuel maintains his innocence, and cannot unders
Beverly Hunter
Apr 17, 2017 Beverly Hunter rated it really liked it
Shelves: nls-bard
Reading these books has given me a better understanding of gods faith and favor.
Debbie Phillips
Apr 01, 2013 Debbie Phillips rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Christians - high school to adult
This was a really good book. Book 3 of a series. I also read book 1 and 2 and enjoyed them as well. I reviewed them here on Goodreads, also.

It was a good story about families struggling during the depression. A story about trust and forgiveness. About believing someone based on character. About trusting what you know about someone when others believe things, horrible things, hard to take things, about someone you love.

It's a story about caring for the 'difficult to love' people that come into ou
Jennifer Robb
Jan 17, 2016 Jennifer Robb rated it liked it
I like that the two families blend together and work as one, sharing with each other. I like the faith that Julia, Samuel, Franky and others exhibit. I like that Julia and Samuel are willing to take in another mouth during times that are difficult--when they aren't even sure they'll have enough to feed their own two children.

Seeing the sibling relationship between Edward and Samuel was tough. I'm glad they came to some sort of understanding by the end of the book. I wish their relationship hadn'
Tricia M.S.
Oct 09, 2014 Tricia M.S. rated it really liked it

The hauntingly beautiful story of historical fiction had me engrossed right from the beginning. I didn't actually realise that this was a 3rd book in the series. So it could in theory - stand on it's own. It wasn't overly preachy and was easy to follow along. I look forward to reading more books from Leisha Kelly.

The story opens up in the Depression Era during a time when families are being broken up and farmed out to relatives has become a new & "normal"; reality. In this story we find an e
Stacy
Sep 20, 2008 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Gail
This is the third book in the Wortham family series by Leisha Kelly. I read these 3 books back to back to back, which is highly unusual for me. But I love the writing, love the characters, love the lessons it teachers, and I love the simplicity of these books. I believe the stories are going to go on in the next set of books by Kelly, the Country Road Chronicles (which I've been "collecting"!), but I'm going to take a break between reading them and read some other things first. I like to have a ...more
Teresa
Jul 14, 2016 Teresa rated it it was amazing
This is my new favorite series of books. Oh how I came to love these two families who eventually merged into one. Each book in this series teaches strong Christian principles without becoming preachy. I love the lesson of learning to trust in the Lord regardless of the circumstances or how hard life is treating you. Not only did I love the lessons but I came to love each of these characters with all their flaws. I am only saddened that there will be no more stories of the Wortham family. Now all ...more
Sara
Feb 22, 2013 Sara rated it it was amazing
This was the best book in Leisha Kelly's Wortham Family series, in my opinion. Yes, this is lighter Christian fiction, but it does stand above the pack, with engaging characters [who doesn't love Franky??] and a storyline a reader can truly care about [have you read the other kind of Christian fiction,too?]. Best of all, as I mentioned in a review of the first book in this series, Kelly's theology is spot-on. It's about a genuine struggle for faith and trust in the one true God through difficult ...more
Cathy Cramer
I've thoroughly enjoyed this three-book series of visits with the Worthams, each book completely different.

I did, however, guess the secret of Katie's past.

Favorite quotes: "I don't guess the Lord wants us to have all the answers yet. If we knew ever'thin' already, maybe we wouldn't have nothin' to talk to Him about, nor look forward to."

"Just getting home was one of the finest blessings this world had to offer."

"I can't say I understand you, Miss Hazel. Or why you say the things you do. But I'l
Sharon
Jun 13, 2013 Sharon rated it really liked it
First time reading book by Leisha Kelly and I will definitely read more by her. Her storytelling keeps the pages turning. I love historical romances and she explained things in fine detail. I felt like I was there in the garden or helping with the berry picking or helping with all the children. I hated,to see the book come to an end. I wanted it to keep going on. I highly recommend and look forward to reading more of Kelly's books.
Gloria
Apr 28, 2008 Gloria rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Christian females
Recommended to Gloria by: New Book Shelf @ Library
Shelves: cozy-reads
This story is the 3rd in a Christian fiction series (Wortham Family Series) about a family eking their way through the Great Depression in Illinois. The setting is believable and the family is creative and loyal. The issues are rather contemporary, including questions of marital affairs, paternity, and more. Excellent overall.
Becki
Feb 11, 2015 Becki added it
Shelves: book-collector
The Worthams and the Hammonds are working together to survive in Depression era Illinois. In this novel, new challenges face them including injury and heartache.\n\nThis was probably the best book of the series so far. Although I did have figured out who Katie's dad really was pretty early in the book.
Marie
Oct 25, 2008 Marie rated it really liked it
I enjoy reading Leisha Kelly books about the Wortham and Hammond family during the Great Depression. I did not enjoy this as much as the 2 previous one, Julia's Hope & Emma's Gift.

Jan
Oct 05, 2008 Jan rated it really liked it
A "bad guy" actually enters the story line in this third book. But again, treating the situation with patience, reserve and faith, trust wins forth. Katie is anyone's dream child and must, by all means, be protected. Leisha, keep up the good work!
Linda
Oct 20, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing
Love this series of books--on the line of Laura Ingall's books and Walton's tv series. So enjoyable to read something so entertaining without all the blood and gore all the time. Very entertaining series--can feel the characters come to life.
Dee Schwinn
Oct 28, 2013 Dee Schwinn rated it really liked it
Good characters. I liked the alternating chapters for Samuel and Julia. There was mystery, historical significance with the poor times during the thirties, Christian faith, and the love of family. It was a good read.
Beth
Aug 16, 2009 Beth rated it it was amazing
This book is third in a series of books by Leisha Kelly. Another great inspirational story of the Wortham and Hammond families. I have loved reading this series and reading how these families get through their struggles in life through their faith. These are nice quick reads. Truly enjoyable!
Acarrawa
Dec 10, 2010 Acarrawa rated it really liked it
A powerful story about the need for and power of forgiveness, serving others, and bearing one another's burdens. I kept coming back to see what would happen next. It also provides a great example of commitment to one's spouse and marriage, even in the face of extreme difficulty.
Mrs. Kelley
Apr 27, 2009 Mrs. Kelley rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Spiritual or not, this book is worth a read. It's really a touching story about a family going through it. I actually find the most touching character in the book to be Franky, even though he's not a main character.
Shirley Henning
Aug 02, 2014 Shirley Henning rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this one too

Loved this one too

This is the third book in this series and it was wonderful too. I found myself.paging forward about halfway thru but only a little. I loved Samuel all the way thru----such a man of .integrity----we need more people like him.
Stephanie
Aug 11, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Love it every time. Couldn't put it down - so intriguing. The level of understanding is not difficult at all. It's a read that is perfect for a summer day!
Vicki
Jun 23, 2012 Vicki rated it liked it
The third book in the series isn't as dramatic as the others, but the relationship between Julia and Samuel is challenged.
Barbara
Dec 10, 2010 Barbara rated it really liked it
I really like this series. Easy to read and not deep thinking needed.
Melissa Snow
Jul 25, 2014 Melissa Snow rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
I am totally hooked on this author. Each scenario that the Wortham's face seem to meet me where I am and speak to me. I can't get enough of her writing.
Loraine
Nov 13, 2009 Loraine rated it really liked it
Good storyline on belief and forgiveness.
Pam
Apr 25, 2008 Pam marked it as to-read
Shelves: fiction
04/23/08 rec via bookmooch
Connie
Jun 02, 2014 Connie rated it really liked it
Another wonderful book in the Wortham Family Series. Just about to start the next series which deals with the same families and community as the years pass.
Karen Cartlidge
Dec 22, 2007 Karen Cartlidge rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: every one
i love the setting of these books by Leisha Kelly - the characters are wonderful. Can't wait to read the next one in the series.
Abigail Sands
Oct 24, 2014 Abigail Sands rated it it was amazing
Another excellent story in The Wortham Family Series. I was sorry to see this first series end. Enjoyed it well enough to buy the books in the next series about the same characters.
Lovia
Jan 26, 2009 Lovia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kelly-leisha
MAN this was SOOO good. these books just keep getting better. this book taught me a lot by how to stand by your husband even though there are hardships!!
  • The Silent Gift
  • The Spirit of the Season (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #21)
  • Spring is in the Air (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #26)
  • Home for the Holidays (Tales From Grace Chapel Inn, #7)
  • Child of Promise (Brides of Culdee Creek, #4)
  • Winner Take All
  • My Father's World (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #1)
  • Slices of Life (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #8)
  • Where Willows Grow (Heart of the Prairie #10)
  • Poor Mrs. Rigsby
  • Grounded
  • At Legend's End (The Teacup Novellas #4)
  • Small Town Girl (Rosey Corner, #2)
  • Christmas Visitor: An Amish Romance
  • Back Home Again (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #1)
  • Discovering Hope
  • What Once We Loved (Kinship and Courage Series, #3)
  • The Captive Heart (Daughters of Caleb Bender, #2)
aka L.A. Kelly

A resident of Clayton, Ill., Kelly authored 11 books, including the best-selling historical fiction series centered around the Wortham and Hammond families—published by Revell/Baker Publishing Group. Her most recent book, The House on Malcolm Street, was published by Revell in September 2010.

Kelly, who home-schooled her two children, served as children's ministry director and youth m
More about Leisha Kelly...

Wortham Family (3 books)
  • Julia's Hope (The Wortham Family Series, #1)
  • Emma's Gift (The Wortham Family Series, #2)