Start by marking “Brink of Death (Hidden Faces Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Brink of Death (Hidden Faces Series, #1)

Brink of Death (Hidden Faces #1)

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,210 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
The noises, faint, fleeting, whispered into her consciousness like wraiths passing in the night.

Twelve-year-old Erin Willit opened her eyes to darkness lit only by the dim green nightlight near her closet door and the faint glow of a street lamp through her front window. She felt her forehead wrinkle, the fingers of one hand curl as she tried to discern what had awakened h
Published April 11th 2004 by Zondervan (first published April 8th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Brink of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brink of Death

C.J. Darlington
Jan 31, 2015 C.J. Darlington rated it really liked it
From the opening scene in BRINK OF DEATH you know you're in good hands. You're also in for a ride - one that thrusts you into the world of Annie Kingston - single mom, former courtroom artist, and a woman about to live a nightmare.

Told in Annie's engaging first person point of view (except for the prologue and the scattered scenes following the villain in third person), there are no wasted words. Every chapter leads you seamlessly into the next. Tight, suspenseful, and peppered with compelling d
Lisa Johnson
May 01, 2014 Lisa Johnson rated it liked it
Title: Brink of Death (Hidden Faces Series #1)
Author: Brandilyn Collins
Pages: 422 (large print)
Year: 2004
Publisher: Thorndike Press (large print)
I have read some of Brandilyn Collins’ more recent works and enjoyed them, so I thought I would go back and read some of her earlier books. This book is set in California, and the main character is Annie Kingston.
Annie is a divorced mother of two children. Her son is 15 and has begun to hang out with the wrong crowd and do drugs. In an attempt to help h
Ronna
Apr 25, 2013 Ronna rated it it was ok
This series has potential to be interesting, with the beginning days of learning forensic art, and beginnings belief in Christ. Unfortunately, this particular book had a number of unbelievable parts to it, so that the excitement sometimes felt contrived and unnecessary. Most specifically, the main character'l continuous need to do everything by herself when a call to 911 is obviously needed. I also think the author was setting us up to have the main character come to a belief in Christ in a late ...more
Evelyn
Jul 29, 2009 Evelyn rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
Soon after Annie Kingston moves her family to the small town of Grove Landing, California, her neighbor is killed in a break-in. Erin, the twelve-year-old daughter of the neighbor sees the killer but is too traumatized to offer up a description. Because Erin is friends with Annie’s daughter, Annie, who is a courtroom sketch artist, offers to help Erin create a drawing of the killer.

Erin’s father’s faith during this whole ordeal amazes the nonbeliever Annie and, as she tries to help Erin, she fi
Willowy Whisper
Jan 12, 2015 Willowy Whisper rated it it was amazing
So thrilling! So creepy! Loved this book so much!
Maureen DeLuca
Mar 21, 2016 Maureen DeLuca rated it liked it
I'm giving this more of a 3.5. This is the first in the " Hidden Faces" series by this author. It is a very easy book to read, not a lot of characters , not too technical and enough suspense to keep on reading the book.

When the main character , Annie Kingston moves from the big city to a small community she expects to find peace and quiet- but finds nothing of the sort. Her next door neighbor, during a robbery is killed and the only witness is her 12 year old daughter. Annie , who used to do co
Andrea
Jun 27, 2008 Andrea rated it it was amazing
These are thee best books I have ever ever read! I read this whole series in the summertime when I was working at the Bismarck Tribune. I started to do some routes that started at about 2:00 am, so I would stay up and read until 2:00 am rolled around. These books were so suspenseful that doing the paper route would make the hairs on my skin stand up! Brandilyn is a Christian author, which is strong in her books, which is the best part!
Nicole Shearer bollman
Sep 21, 2014 Nicole Shearer bollman rated it it was amazing
whoa. I was not prepared for the suspense! I really enjoyed this book!!
Sharon
Jul 20, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it
This is the first Brandilyn Collins book I have read. She was recommended to me by a friend. The book catches your interest immediately and is not one to read if you are alone at night. It was hard to put down and I liked the characters. I imagined the detective looking like a young Fred Thompson.
Geokowgurl
Jul 30, 2012 Geokowgurl rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was fast paced enough to keep me reading, suspenseful enough to keep me up all night reading, and good enough that I want to read book 2!
Cathleen
Mar 03, 2009 Cathleen rated it really liked it
Excellent. A quick read but well done. Hooked me right in. Liked the characters. Liked the plot. Can't wait to read the next books in the series.
Gloria Burkhart
Aug 10, 2015 Gloria Burkhart rated it it was amazing
Brandilyn Collins writes excellent books and this one is no different. This is the first book in her Hidden faces series. It starts with murder and takes the reader on twists and turns from there. Annie Kingston has moved her family to this small town in hopes of saving her son from the bad crowd of friends her son was hanging with. She didn't expect to get caught up in a murder that brings danger to her family. Nor did she expect to get introduced the Lord Jesus. But those things happen and mor ...more
Nichole
May 10, 2014 Nichole rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy Collins' books. The keep you on your toes. But more important than that, they let you see an intimate picture of the main character, Annie. I wish I could get to know some of the secondary characters better; the ones who are close to Annie, but the didn't materialize like I wanted. I want to know Chetterling better. In real life, there's no way a police officer (or detective) would let a civilian go with him to interview a suspect, or anything else. So WHY DID HE? Because we are n ...more
Paul Goble
Dec 03, 2013 Paul Goble rated it liked it
After enjoying a few of Collins' recent books, I thought I'd step back a few years to this 2004 story of Annie Kingston, a courtroom artist who is thrust into the world of forensic art after the girl across the street witnesses the murder of her mother.

Like the more recent books, this is a well crafted Christian suspense. Collins picks interesting occupations, personalities, and hobbies to add a dimension of interest beyond the plot. Point-of-view is manipulated carefully to help the reader iden
Jackie Morgan
Mar 13, 2015 Jackie Morgan rated it it was amazing
This is the first Brandilyn Collins book I've read and it was great! Surprisingly suspenseful (literally gave me goosebumps a few times) and I didn't want to leave my chair!

Annie Kingston has a earthy, kind, single mom personality and a close relationship with her sister which was refreshing.

Brandilyn Collins did a great job blending and expressing the faith of the characters who are believers with Annie Kingston who is not.

I'm anxious to read book #2 in the series!
Carol
Great Beginning to a New Suspense Series

Once again, author, Brandilyn Collins, has written an awesome new Christian Fiction Suspense Series. I just completed this thrilling page-turner. Book One of The Hidden Faces Series, " Brink of Death," illustrated important and touching examples of how Jesus really does love His children in all situations, even when the situation has you teetering on the brink of death
Tessa Small
Feb 03, 2014 Tessa Small rated it really liked it
Brilliantly crafted story. Compelling in that it takes one woman to places way beyond her comfort zone and begs the question of how you or I handles such situations where God places us in spots beyond ourselves and asks us to rely on Him even though everything seems to go from wrong to worse.
Illuminating Fiction
Mar 01, 2015 Illuminating Fiction rated it really liked it
I love Brandilyn Collins books and finally dived into Brink of Death. I'm so glad I did. I spent a wonderful weekend glued to the pages of this thrilling suspense. I can't wait to dive into another Hidden Faces novel.
Beth - ;)
This is a great book. Even though it was written in the first person, which as a rule I do not like.

When Lisa Willit is killed by an intruder in her home, detectives are left with little evidence. Lisa's daughter Erin saw the killer but is too traumatized to give a description.

Because of her background as a courtroom sketch artist, Lisa's neighbour Annie is asked to question Erin and draw a composite. But she knows little about forensic art and is afraid her lack of experience will do more har
Stephanie
I don't like the main character

She makes stupid decisions. Like calling 911 when she freaks out in the middle of the night, but not calling when the killer is right there.
Jill
Nov 02, 2014 Jill rated it it was ok
This book was alright. It is the first book by Brandilyn Collins that I have ever read, and to be honest, I wasn't that impressed.
Vicki
Jun 17, 2014 Vicki rated it liked it
This is a pretty good book. I didn't care much for her "mental scenarios", but the rest of the book had pretty good flow.
Danielle
Jun 03, 2013 Danielle rated it liked it
Shelves: thanks-g-ma
I enjoyed this book but there were a few plot holes that really bothered me. I didn't understand why the villain was so worried about retrieving that file when the case was already closed and nobody knew who he was. It was also explained in the book that the file couldn't be used to convict him anyway. The other thing that bothered me was the fact that she didn't call 911 when she had time to even though it was the obvious thing to do.
I do plan on reading the other books in the series because t
April Hochstrasser
Apr 03, 2009 April Hochstrasser rated it really liked it
This book is about being held hostage in every way but physically. The heroine is the hostage of her father's former actions as an attorney, her son's defiant behavior, her concern over her neighbor's problems her own lack of respect for her talents and an intruder that is trying to gain entry into her house for unknown reasons. When she finally finds the courage to confront these situations, she is able to solve all of the above problems in one fell swoop. Very well written, but the inserts of ...more
Melissa
Sep 09, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
Very suspenseful but the ending fell flat for me, I expected more of a twist.
Phancy
Oct 11, 2012 Phancy rated it really liked it
Ruth
Sep 28, 2014 Ruth rated it it was ok
Annie drove me crazy.
Janette Mapes
Jul 10, 2012 Janette Mapes rated it liked it
This was a really good book. It had many christian references that I liked. The author did a great job I think. The story line was good. The only thing I saw that some people might have a problem with was that the violent scenes were quite graphic. I have heard people criticize christian authors for being too graphic. I happen to think this adds to the realness of the story. But, like I said not everyone would agree. I will definitely read more books by this author.
TheReadingKnitter/ Kasey
I started this book on 09/30/2009. I finished this book on 10/07/2009.

This book was really good. It kept me guessing through the whole book. Wasn't as many twist and turns as other books I'd read but still there were some. I felt sorry for Annie and Stephan. I couldn't imagine being like that with my mom. And then Erin seeing what she saw. Can't wait to read the next book in this series. I gave it 3 stars...Would have done 3.5 if we could do half stars...
T.E. George
Jan 20, 2009 T.E. George rated it really liked it
I've been wanting to read Brandilyn Collins for some time and I must say "Brink of Death" my a five star first impression on me. There is little to not like about this book. The dialogue is tight and the story proceeds at just the right speed. This story has great timing, never dragging but lingering on detail at times to allow the reader to catch up. I look forward to the rest of the novels in the Hidden Faces series.
  • Life Support (Santee, #1)
  • Fire Dancer
  • False Witness
  • Evidence of Mercy (Sun Coast Chronicles, #1)
  • Presumed Guilty
  • Tested by Fire (Baxter #1)
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
Brandilyn Collins is a best-selling novelist known for her trademark Seatbelt Suspense--fast-paced, character-driven suspense with myriad twists and an interwoven thread of faith.

Brandilyn is also known for her distinctive book on fiction-writing techniques, Getting Into Character: Seven Secrets a Novelist Can Learn From Actors (John Wiley & Sons). She is a sought-after teacher and speaker at
More about Brandilyn Collins...

Hidden Faces (4 books)
  • Stain of Guilt (Hidden Faces Series, #2)
  • Dead of Night (Hidden Faces Series, #3)
  • Web of Lies (Hidden Faces, #4)