Start by marking “An Old-Fashioned Girl” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
An Old-Fashioned Girl

Betty Neels

An Old-Fashioned Girl

Patience knew she couldn't be more different form the sort of women Dutch surgeon Julius van der Beek seemed to attract. After all she was a quiet country girl with a somewhat unique taste in clothes -- and an assertive personality to match! Yet she was attracted to him. Not that she had a hope of making him notice her, particularly with the glamorous Sylvia van Teule alre ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 288 pages
Published June 14th 1993 by Mills & Boon (first published October 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about An Old-Fashioned Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Old-Fashioned Girl

Pamela Shropshire
Apr 14, 2015 Pamela Shropshire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tgb
Patience Martin is a trained stenographer and typist, but she lives with her two aunts in a Norfolk village. The aunts have fallen on hard times and on their solicitor’s advice, are renting out the family home while living in a smaller, cheaper house in the village (á la Sir Walter Elliot in Persuasion). The home is rented by an RDD who is writing a book on surgery, Julius van der Beek. The solicitor also suggests that Mr. van der Beek hire a “general factotum” to basically shield him from the o ...more
Susan in NC
Mar 26, 2012 Susan in NC rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread
Always a favorite quick reread - whenever I'm between books and can't decide what to read next, Betty Neels is comfort food for my brain! Gentle, sweet, lovely stories, happy ending guaranteed, that never fail to make me smile.
Heather
Someone should organize the Betty Neels tour of England. The tour would go to all the random villages mentioned in these books and at each stop there would be a book discussion of which story was set in that town and which handsome Dutch doctor saved the day and whether or not the faithful family retainer was named Potts or Trottie.
Fiona Marsden
Dec 03, 2014 Fiona Marsden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the later books by Betty Neels with a heroine in impoverished circumstances rather than the nurses of her early books.

Patience is the carer for her two elderly great-aunts. Unlike some of Betty's more downtrodden heroines, they are lovely and treat her kindly although they do consider her plain and unlikely to marry. Unfortunately they have suffered financial reverses and have been forced to rent out their lovely home in a small English village and move to a tiny terrace house to
Jojo
May 17, 2008 Jojo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, read2008
I remember buying this when I was 14ish because I had so liked The Girl with Green Eyes a couple years before. I very vaguely remember reading it once and not being terribly enamored of it, so I was not all nostalgic about it when I found it again.

After rereading The Girl with Green Eyes and liking it approximately a million times less than I did when I was younger, for some reason I thought that rereading this one also would be a good idea.

Things didn't turn out so bad as they might have thou
Poonam
Apr 20, 2016 Poonam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This is the first book by Betty Neels that I have read that does not involve the typical hospital romance. The H is a dutch doctor but the h is first a house-helper then a secretary and finally a nanny.

A very sweet romance that starts in a small English village and then travels to Holland.
I loved everything about the h including her name (Patience). One thing I remember noticing is that I did not realize the H's name is Julius to about 50% of the book as he was always addressed by his Last Name.
Olly
May 07, 2010 Olly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: betty-neels
Julius Van der Beek yang ahli bedah itu akhirnya menemukan tandingannya. Tak lain dan tak bukan adalah Patience Martin, gadis yang sehari-hari bekerja membantu mengurus rumahnya, dan memastikan Julius terbebas dari gangguan sekitar. Tapi justru gadis itu sendiri yang mengganggu pikiran Julius.
Padahal Patience hanyalah gadis kampung yang punya selera pakaian yang buruk, bertubuh mungil tetapi sama sekali tidak langsing, sama sekali tidak cantik, tapi sanggup menghadirkan makanan di saat tidak ada
Amanda
Sep 04, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My grandma introduced me to Betty Neels and I totally love her books. If you like quick simple love stories that are totally clean then these are the books for that. Its like reading an L.M. Montgomery book or Sarah Plain and Tall. They are all about the same but a little different and very quick fun easy reads. Most of them are about people that are in the medical field but you don't have to be in the medical field to enjoy it. She is definitely a favorite with me now.
Clare
I enjoyed this book as much as I've enjoyed her other books, I thought the male character was a bit moodier and sullen than usual and I can't blame the female character calling him a spoilt brat lol but I did like the female character she was strong.
Dawn
Dec 07, 2008 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read almost aall of her books. They are an easy read and very sweet.
Natalie
Sep 10, 2010 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sweet old school romance. I appreciate a clean sweet romance. It was perfect for the mood I was in today. I think I may see what else my library has by this author for days like today.
Macthekit
I love Betty! I used to buy them for my Nan at 2nd hand stores then I started reading them too, so sweet and wholesome :) And I LOVE her descriptions of food lol everything with lashings of cream!
Helen Manning
Aug 09, 2016 Helen Manning rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good solid read from TGB. Patience is our poor British heroine. Working to keep her two elderly aunts above the poverty line and in the genteel life they have long enjoyed. Tart tongued and opinionated she begins working with our RDD Julius van der Beek and he doesn't know what hit him. It is amusing how steadfastly he pushes her away all the while she is insinuating herself into his mind and heart. A little jumbled; TGB fits almost all of her plot jags in this one but still a fun time.
Mar 19, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5. I found Betty Neels when I was looking for more wholesome romance novels. And this book is very clean. Some of the ideas would strongly irritate a modern female (including this one) but I chose to just accept the character for the time period and circumstances surrounding her. Thus, this book became a pleasant read.
Carolyn
Oct 02, 2012 Carolyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A good solid romance. Very clean. The men in Betty Neels stories are all so very controlling and the women so mousey. You always know how the woman feels but the man is so cold and austere - it leaves it lacking.
Susan Newman
Aug 17, 2014 Susan Newman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE her books. I have read all of her books (on my Kindle). They are sweet and old-fashioned.
E_bookpushers
Another sweet classic
Deb
Feb 06, 2008 Deb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had heard ofthis English, Mills and Boon, best selling author and read this on a whim. Cute, but very old-school.
Karla
Sep 27, 2010 Karla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A perfectly fine romance, if a bit dull. The hero is also a bit too controlling for my taste. Definitely a clean read. 2.5 stars.
I love Betty Neels heroines with spirit!
Erica Matthews
Jun 28, 2013 Erica Matthews rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it - I like all Betty Neels books.
Tishke
Sep 01, 2013 Tishke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable quick read by Betty Neels.

Cindy Williams
I absolutely adored this book. I love books written in this era.
Marybelle
Feb 05, 2017 Marybelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story. I really enjoyed it. The only thing that bothered me was how the author built up slowly toward Julius discovering he was in love with Patience, but we never see the point of realization. The reader sees Patience realization of how she loves Julius, but does not see his. It was a little bit of a let down. Otherwise it was an enjoyable afternoon read worth revisiting in the future.
Sofia Tirabassi
Sofia Tirabassi rated it liked it
May 02, 2015
Janani Srinivasan
Janani Srinivasan rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2013
Aisha Abbas
Aisha Abbas rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2015
Maryannflouroy
Maryannflouroy rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • House of Mirrors
  • Lost to the Desert Warrior (The Private Lives of Public Playboys #3)
  • Sheikh's Desert Duty (The Chatsfield, #9)
  • Shameful Secret, Shotgun Wedding
  • Gallant Waif
  • The Tender Stranger (Soldiers of Fortune, #2)
  • Temporary Wife
  • The Millionaire's Marriage
  • Playing The Royal Game (The Santina Crown #8)
  • Land of Dreams
  • Love's Legacy
  • The Heart Breaker (Rocky Mountain, #2)
  • Bedded by Blackmail
  • The Salvatore Marriage (Foreign Affairs)
  • The Sister Swap
  • Sweet Revenge Or Seduction (Sebening Kristal) (A Treacherous Seduction, Buku 3)
Betty Neels was born on September 15, 1910 in Devon to a family with firm roots in the civil service. She said she had a blissfully happy childhood and teenage years.(This stood her in good stead later for the tribulations to come with the Second World War). She was sent away to boarding school, and then went on to train as a nurse, gaining her SRN and SCM, that is, State Registered Nurse and Stat ...more
More about Betty Neels...