Start by marking “I Can See Clearly Now” as Want to Read:
I Can See Clearly Now

I Can See Clearly Now

It’s a revolutionary idea: use cartoons to actually teach something to the kids of America. In the summer of 1972, the suits at a major television network bring together a motley crew of songwriters and musicians to work on Pop Goes the Classroom, a series of short, catchy, educational songs that will air during Saturday-morning cartoons. And so four young, talented ...more
Published March 24th 2009 by Villard (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about I Can See Clearly Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Can See Clearly Now

Rev. Nyarkoleptek
May 06, 2010 Rev. Nyarkoleptek rated it liked it
Shelves: music
Well. It wasn't awful. Just the sort of book that would get a warm review in People magazine. There's enough dope smoking and casual sex to lock in the types of readers who feel compelled to read out of a sense of cultural obligation.

Oh, and I was planning on giving this book four stars because of the way Halpin portrayed each character's internal dialog and thereby keeping up the level of soap-operatic suspense. But I see that the author himself has written a glowing review of his own book and
Gerri Leen
Jul 24, 2010 Gerri Leen rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-author
What if the people behind "Schoolhouse Rock" (oh come on, you all remember that, right? Saturday mornings. More fun than the 'toons! "Conjunction Junction, what's your function..." and all the other gems. Okay, if you weren't a kid in the 70's, I'll give you a pass on the classics.) Anyway, what if those had been written by some just-out-of-college kids who were into music and needed money and smoked a lot of weed while recreating their own mini Summer of Love? Add in the "brains" behind the ...more
Jenn Estepp
remember that book street gang, about the behind the scenes of sesame street in the 70s? i was so looking forward to it, and then couldn't even get through the first chapter, so dry and academic and humorless was it. thank goodness, then, for halpin's effort that takes a fictionalized look at the behind the scenes escapades of an educational tv song/series, a la schoolhouse rock. fun and light, with lots of sex and drugs and not-quite-rock-n-roll. tons of fun, although my gripe is that things ...more
Jules Vilmur
Apr 28, 2009 Jules Vilmur rated it liked it
Shelves: nostalgia
This was the first "light reading" I've done since my daughter's death two months ago and there was something really lovely about getting sucked in and floating through it. It was more of a guilty pleasure book than some of Halpin's others (the kind you take to the beach or curl up with on a rainy weekend) but definitely a tasty nostalgic treat for anyone who grew up in the 70s or otherwise survived them.
Lisa
Jan 08, 2010 Lisa rated it liked it
A light read that focuses on a group of musicians hired to make educational children's cartoons (a la Schoolhouse Rock) in the early 70's. I liked the different perspectives and personalities that made the book such a fun, easy read. I would have liked even more 70's references and NYC vibe.
Craig
Jun 15, 2009 Craig rated it liked it
A fun premise and a semi-strong start with sex, drugs and saturday morning conjunction junction. By the latter part of the book I was quite tired of all the whining. I just wanted to finish it so I could get my adult summer reading program prize...
Brendan
May 01, 2009 Brendan rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Refreshing to read a fun, light book from a guy who so often writes about grief and death. Great beach book, and lots of fun for anyone who was a kid in the 70's.
Jenn
Jul 27, 2011 Jenn added it
Loved this easy read. One of my new favorite authors and he was also a HS teacher. I love that he writes fiction, young adult fiction, and nonfiction. Check him out!
Richmond
Sep 30, 2009 Richmond rated it it was amazing
A totl hoot - parpdy of the crew that created all the sat morning educational cartoons like "I'm Just a Bill." Funny with sex and drugs! Also vintage NYC.
Jan 27, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A novel about a group of penniless songwriters in the 1970s who are hired to write "Schoolhouse Rock" type educational songs for children. Very interesting and entertaining.
Aaron
Sep 19, 2009 Aaron rated it really liked it
Delightful story inspired by the creation of the "Schoolhouse Rock" series of educational cartoon shorts.
Jen
Jul 27, 2009 Jen rated it liked it
Perfect popcorn book. Not too deep but fun. A quick read.
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2014
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2010
Siobhan
Siobhan rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2009
Terrie
Terrie rated it it was ok
Apr 18, 2011
E
E rated it it was ok
May 11, 2009
Darrin
Darrin rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2011
Kim DeNero
Kim DeNero rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2009
Sarah rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2010
Simone Renfrew
Simone Renfrew rated it it was ok
Aug 12, 2011
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2010
Leigh
Leigh rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2009
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
May 13, 2009
Fab
Fab rated it it was ok
Oct 30, 2011
Kim
Kim rated it it was ok
Mar 06, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
I grew up in Cincinnati, went to college in Philadelphia, and also lived in Taipei and Edinburgh along the way. I've lived in Boston since 1991.

I became a professional writer in 2000, writing about my late wife Kirsten's breast cancer diagnosis and treatment. Kirsten died in 2003, leaving me and our daughter Rowen. I married Suzanne in 2005 and got her kids Casey and Kylie in the deal too. Bargain
More about Brendan Halpin...