Start by marking “Chess: 5334 Problems, Combinations, and Games” as Want to Read:
Chess: 5334 Problems, Combinations, and Games

Chess: 5334 Problems, Combinations, and Games

The most complete collection of chess problems ever published, including 5,334 instructional situations, presented by the world's leading chess teacher

Chess analyzes more than 5,000 unique instructional situations, many taken from real matches, including 306 problems for checkmate in one move, 3,412 mates in two moves, 744 mates in three moves, 600 miniature games, 144 sim
Published January 9th 1995 by Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers (first published January 1st 1994)

Maritess
Nov 20, 2008 Maritess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a KICK ASS BOOK that everyone should own from unrated players to Chess Masters.

It is especially extraordinary because there are no words, only pictures, lots of fun looking at the combinations because it's very visual, and you can look at it at your own pace.

Ah, memories. Let's just say you haven't lived until you've beaten a chess master and then had your ass kicked by a 3rd grader. I'll always remember her last words before she killed me, "Wait Dad, I'm almost done." grr.
Mark
Sep 30, 2008 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Intermediate Players with understanding of principles.
This book is a must have for any player trying to increase his level of play. Though basically it's 1/4 mate in one puzzles, 2/4 mate in two puzzles, and 1/4 combination it is still a great book (many of the books that are mainly exercises, have positional puzzles, defense puzzles, forks/skewers/discover puzzles, and piece value/trade puzzles). I have not completely finished all of the puzzles within, but I have done all of the mate in ones, all of the mate in twos, but only about 1/4 of the com ...more
Serge Pierro
Sep 17, 2012 Serge Pierro rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chess
Literally thousands upon thousands of problems to solve. A great one volume collection of tactical studies. There are better books on the market for studying tactics, however there is nothing that matches it in sheer numbers. Sidenote: some of the problems are composed.
Daahoud Asante
Jun 25, 2015 Daahoud Asante rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS IS THE DEFINITIVE CHESS PUZZLE BOOK...I DO 3 OR 4 EVERY MORNING LIKE CLOCKWORK, MY CHESS HAS IMPROVED BECAUSE OF IT, BUY A SMALL ANALYSIS SET AND GET TO MATING!!!
Sara
Aug 20, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
a giant book of chess problems (limited/no text). good fun. and perfect for the under 5 set, since you don't need to read to enjoy it!
Jason
Jun 06, 2015 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another daily devotional thanks to smartphone tech. Problems of every variety and with the intention of drilling past mastery. Which is why it often is accused of being a little monotonous in problem selections. Polgar was aiming to instill secondhand reflex. Will probably take ~4yrs to work through.
Jon
Jul 17, 2012 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The description is wrong. This book has nothing to do with Grandmaster Maurice Ashley. CHESS is a book written (assembled?) by Laszlo Polgar and contains many puzzles and game fragments. Most of the puzzles are checkmate in two or three moves. Laszlo is the father of the famous Polgar sisters.
Corey
Aug 14, 2012 Corey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chess
I made it to problem 700 before returning this book to the library. I won't deny that it is excellent practice, but I have two main complaints. First, the book is only checkmates and gives little assistance on other kinds of tactics. Second, many of the positions are composed rather than coming from actual games. This reduces the transferability of the practice to actual play.
Usfromdk
Jun 12, 2016 Usfromdk marked it as partially-read  ·  review of another edition
Solved two thousand problems or so, then lost the ambition to finish the book/got bored/got sidetracked and never returned to it. Currently my thinking is that solving problems like the ones you'll encounter on sites like Chesstempo is at least as useful as is solving problems like the ones included in this book, and so I doubt I shall ever actually return to it. Working systematically on the problems included in this book will in my opinion definitely help your ability to calculate lines and ev ...more
Daniel Khoo
Aug 17, 2016 Daniel Khoo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hobby
It is the perfect book for those who plays chess a lot. It has different types of techniques of how to force the opponent to move or trap them. By reading this book, you get some knowledge and also the discipline of the timing and the way of how a tactician thinks in chess as well as a person in real life. I recommend everyone this book to read because it gives you the way of solving every type of puzzles.
Doron Yam
Aug 12, 2016 Doron Yam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chess-books
A nice book with problems, arranged by method and difficulty.
There are more of it in chess literatue, not special...
Mark Dunn
Sep 26, 2015 Mark Dunn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chess
I will never actually finish this book until I can do 70% of the puzzles. I would probably have to go through the book a dozen times.
Jeremy W
Sep 05, 2008 Jeremy W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The initial copy was like 14"x 17" x 5", quite the coffee table-doorstop-paperweight-anvil. The latest one is a much more manageable roughly 6x10x4. Read should be read as -partially solved.
Thomas Hübner
Thomas Hübner rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2013
Brandon
Brandon rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2014
zoe nicol
zoe nicol rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2011
S.A. Alenthony
S.A. Alenthony rated it it was ok
Feb 26, 2009
Asdfking
Asdfking rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2015
Autumn
Autumn rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2016
Aran Johnson
Aran Johnson rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Aaron Kahn
Aaron Kahn rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Dimitris Sotiropoulos
Dimitris Sotiropoulos rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2012
Alec
Alec rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2015
Raymond B.
Raymond B. rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2014
Syed Muhammad
Syed Muhammad rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2013
Natasha Romanoff
Natasha Romanoff rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2014
James
James rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2009
Geoff
Geoff rated it liked it
May 17, 2013
Atharva
Atharva rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2014
Derek
Derek rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2008
  • The Amateur's Mind: Turning Chess Misconceptions Into Chess Mastery
  • Art of Attack in Chess
  • Modern Chess Openings: MCO-14 (McKay Chess Library)
  • Winning Chess Strategies, revised
  • Logical Chess Move By Move: Every Move Explained New Algebraic Edition
  • My System
  • My 60 Memorable Games
  • The Life and Games of Mikhail Tal
  • Manual of Chess (Dover Chess)
  • Chess Tactics for Champions: A step-by-step guide to using tactics and combinations the Polgar way
  • My Best Games of Chess, 1908-1937