Start by marking “Lou Gehrig: The Luckiest Man” as Want to Read:
Lou Gehrig: The Luckiest Man

Lou Gehrig: The Luckiest Man

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  175 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Lou Gehrig's perseverance is legendary. During fourteen years as a first baseman for the New York Yankees, he played in a record 2,130 consecutive games, earning himself the nickname Iron Horse. Lou loved baseball and considered himself a very lucky man, even though on his thirty-sixth birthday he was diagnosed with a rare and fatal disease.
Published April 1st 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Lou Gehrig, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lou Gehrig

The Magic of Finkleton by K.C. HiltonCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingMatilda by Roald DahlHarriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh
Books for ten-year-olds
216th out of 295 books — 325 voters
Waiting for Wings by Lois EhlertLook to the North by Jean Craighead GeorgeD'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths by Ingri d'AulaireNeurology by April Chloe TerrazasMuhammad by Demi
Fun Nonfiction for Elementary
15th out of 33 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Cassie Ehrenbock
Sep 28, 2015 Cassie Ehrenbock rated it really liked it
Lou Gehrig: The Luckiest Man is a biography about the world famous baseball player who eventually succumbed to the disease we all know now as ALS. The author wrote his story in sequential order beginning with his birth and ending with what his legacy is now. What makes this book a fascinating read is that many of the details included about his life aren't as well known. We learned how he spent a semester at Columbia University before becoming the baseball story people knew and loved. We also lea ...more
Mary Mitchell
• This book describes Lou Gehrig’s life from childhood, and reveals details about him that we may not know. These details include that his mother was adamant that he went to college, and that he never missed a day of school in grade school or missed a game in the 14 years he placed baseball. While these may seem irrelevant, Adler uses these details to convey the type of person that Lou Gehrig was, and not just as a baseball player. Terry Widener’s illustrations capture the energy and emotions of ...more
Watervliet Public
No Yankee fan should miss THE LUCKIEST MAN, a gripping and emotional biography that depicts the inspiring and tragic life of home run hitter Lou Gehrig.

As most people know, Gehrig was the second greatest home run hitter of the Yankees after Babe Ruth. The two of them played together in the Twenties and Thirties, and were depicted in the press as a dynamic duo much like Batman and Robin.

In real life, however, Ruth and Gehrig were opposites. Both were from the streets, and both were sons of Germa
Elizabeth Taylor
Apr 05, 2015 Elizabeth Taylor rated it it was amazing
This is a biography about famous baseball player, Lou Gehrig. The book shares stories of Gehrig from his childhood to his heart-breaking death. I like that many of these stories are about aspects in Gehrig's life that aren't often shared. I found it really awesome that his family was so big on education in a time period in history where many people didn't worry too much about higher learning. Gehrig never missed a day of school, similiar to how he went 10 years without missing a baseball game. T ...more
Mrs. Tongate
Having had a student's father die of ALS, I wanted to know more about Lou Gehrig.

Lou Gehrig was born and raised in NYC. His mother valued education and thought sports were a waste of time. He attended Columbia University. He eventually quit when a Yankees scout saw him play while at Columbia. He received a good salary plus a $1500 signing bonus. His mother was furious, but his family needed the money.

Lou Gehrig #4, played in 2,130 consecutive games. A shy man who never missed a game. He was MV
Amber
Nov 30, 2011 Amber rated it liked it
Genre: Junior Book- Biography
Summary: This biographical picture book tells the story of Lou Gehrig’s life. Gehrig came from humble beginnings, but went on to become one of the best baseball players to live. Unfortunately, he was diagnosed with a rare life-threatening illness that ultimately cut his baseball career short. The inspirational tale of “the luckiest man” encourages everyone to be grateful of each day we are given.
Critique- Historical Information
Lou Gehrig’s short life lasted from 190
Samantha Howard
This biography tells the story of Lou Gehrig, from his childhood to major league baseball career and diagnosis of a rare disease. This is a biography because it is someone telling his true story. I chose this book because it is great for lower elementary students, between 1st and 3rd grades, depending on the teacher involvement and the student’s ability. This book could be used to tell the story of triumph and inspiration, and to spark conversation to build students’ character.
Hannah Carlson
This is a great biography book for beginner readers. I think a child interested in baseball would really enjoy this book. Even though this book is centered around a very sad subject (ALS), the book is written with the positive mindset of Lou Gehrig. I wish the book would have explained a little more about the disease the Lou Gehrig had (it just said that he had a terrible disease- it never mentioned that he had ALS) because I think it is an important part of his story.
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Interest Level:3-5
Grade level Equivalent: 3.5
Lexile Measure: 750L
Guided Reading: M

This book is about the life of Lou Gehrig, from youth to adult. The books shows oh his strong work ethics instilled by his mother, from his never missing a day of school, to never missing a game. The book demonstrates how humble and hardworking Lou Gehrig was, and how he never gave up. The book walks us through his career
Robert
Oct 08, 2011 Robert rated it liked it
While I love baseball, this is not my favorite book.

This is a biography of Lou Gehrig of the dreaded Yankees. I have fun teasing the students about the Yankees. Why there are so many fans in South Jersey has always amazed me. Anyhow, Lou was a remarkable man. Students learn of his dedication to the game, his modesty, and tragically, his disease.

The students always seem to be into the book, which is good. Judging from test scores, they "get" what they need from the reading. Again, there is good
Liz
May 13, 2014 Liz rated it really liked it
I have always liked and shared this picture book biography of the great Lou Gehrig. His gentle spirit and positive attitude were qualities to be admired. This book is older and if written today, I'm guessing the back matter would be very interested!
Jade Behringer
Apr 01, 2014 Jade Behringer rated it really liked it
Read this with my 4th graders during their theme on "heroes". Wonderful text.
Caroline
Jun 13, 2014 Caroline rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all baseball fans
Excellent and useful for all ages
Lisa
Mar 01, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-2015
A beautifully illustrated biography of one of America's great men. His story is poignant, yet inspiring. My fourth graders loved it. It is a great read aloud to use for Black History month...or anytime.
Children's Literature Project
Oct 29, 2013 Children's Literature Project rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
Guided Reading Level M.

Lou Gehrig was born in New York. He attended Columbia University and left to become a professional baseball player. He was a great baseball player and was inducted into the hall of fame. At the age 36, he contracted a disease in his central nervous system (known today as Lou Gehrig's disease). He is remembered for his bravery and courage during his illness.

This book is great for 3rd grade.
Joel
Apr 29, 2009 Joel rated it it was amazing
This is the story of Lou Gehrig. One of the New York Yankees greatest players of all time. He also happens to be one of toughest men you will ever meet. This is an extremely well done biography. Artistically the book is appealing using detailed images that have been painstakingly researched and presented with accuracy. This is a must read for any true baseball fan.
Benita
Lou Gehrig: The Luckiest Man is a National Parenting Gold Award winning book. He was a true hero, and a picture of strength in the face of adversity.

Curricular connections: Read aloud, sportsmanship, baseball history, turn of the century and Great Depression era.
Leslie
Jan 14, 2008 Leslie rated it it was amazing
Lou Gehrig was my father's hero when he was a boy. I almost never buy children's books for adults, but this was one that I gave him 2 year's ago on Father's Day. He was so touched to receive a gift that he knew I loved as much as he did!
Zahra
Feb 10, 2008 Zahra rated it liked it
Shelves: history
in the book lou gehrig ,it shows how lou was courageous and never complained about anything . he went to the district of Columbia university! i learned to be thankful and always look at the bright side when things go wrong.
Corri Johnson
Apr 19, 2009 Corri Johnson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4th-grade
Just read this one out of our 4th grade basal book. I decided that I knew nothing about him. I really enjoyed this book and even got a little emotional reading it to my class. Bought it just to have in my library.
Nayira
Oct 15, 2013 Nayira rated it liked it
I read this with one of my english tutories students and I got so caught up with the story. This man was an incredible example of humbleness and a fighter. Very inspirational. I now like the Yankees even more!
Catherine
Dec 31, 2015 Catherine rated it really liked it
This is a great book to introduce students to Lou Gehrig. He had an amazing work ethic. This book could be a jumping off point for research on several different topics.
Jonathan Kistemann
Oct 31, 2012 Jonathan Kistemann rated it really liked it
Truly humbling, the life of the iron horse is a true American tragedy. A quite yet powerful figure in all of baseball. Lou is by far my favorite Yankee
Erin Banet
This is a good story about a great baseball player. The boys in my class love reading sports books and this is a good addition to my collection
Nick Cherry
I liked this book a lot. Before I read this book I knew very little about Lou Gehrig. This is perfect for our text set. A very informational book!
Samantha
Mar 17, 2013 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Such a great book! I think any baseball lover would like this book! A must read for anyone!
Mas5thgrade2012
Dec 02, 2011 Mas5thgrade2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pbandj23, 5b
I loved this book so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~pbandj23~
Amy
Feb 25, 2008 Amy rated it liked it
Just read this one with the kids. It is a good, easy-to-understand biography. Liked it!
Ashley Fisher
Sep 18, 2013 Ashley Fisher rated it it was amazing
This book is truly inspirational, and its great because its a picture book!
Colleen
  • Queen of the Diamond: The Lizzie Murphy Story
  • Now & Ben: The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin
  • Little Melba and Her Big Trombone
  • Thomas Jefferson: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Everything
  • You Never Heard of Sandy Koufax?!
  • Ben Franklin's Big Splash: The Mostly True Story of His First Invention
  • Manfish: A Story of Jacques Cousteau
  • Edward Hopper Paints His World
  • To Dare Mighty Things: The Life of Theodore Roosevelt
  • Daredevil: The Daring Life of Betty Skelton
  • Miss Moore Thought Otherwise: How Anne Carroll Moore Created Libraries for Children
Adler was born in New York City, New York. He graduated from Queens College in 1968 with a bachelor's degree in economics and education. For the next nine years, he worked as a mathematics teacher for the New York City Board of Education, while taking classes towards a master's degree in marketing, a degree he was awarded by New York University in 1971. In that same year, a question from his then- ...more
More about David A. Adler...