Double Duty : The Parents' Guide to Raising Twins, from Pregnancy Through the School Years

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  12 reviews
What lies ahead for expectant parents of twins? Immeasurable joy, plus many sleepless nights. Parenting twins is unlike parenting siblings of different ages. From infancy through the teen years, twins require a bit more energy and diplomacy, plus lots of clever ideas. Double Duty: The Parents' Guide to Raising Twins, from Pregnancy Through the School Years offers plenty of...more
Published April 1st 1998 by McGraw-Hill

Jon
I'm going to review the 1998 1st edition, rather than the 2009 2nd edition because, well, that's what I got from the library. I assume the second edition is fairly similar, but with fewer references to VCRs.

At first this book intrigued me. Most books that we've been looking at focus on pregnancy and the first year. While this makes sense for us now, it seemed like it would be neat to "peek ahead" with a book that had a little less about pregnancy, a little more about the first year, and a coupl...more
Tamara Taylor
I wasn't blown away by this book. For starters, the "pool" of knowledge came from the author's personal experience and 39 written surveys. This may be the scientist in me talking, but compiling stats in premature birth, NICU stays, birthweight etc based on the experience of 40 families is not much of a solid basis for making sweeping generalizations. It was a fairly quick read and not a lot of new or earth shattering info was revealed. I did appreciate the section detailing what you need and wha...more
Stephanie
I really enjoyed this book! It was full of helpful tips and I feel like I really learned a lot from it. I am not a parent of twins, however, I have recently taken a job as a nanny of 4.5 month old fraternal twin boys. I feel that this book was still extremely beneficial for me as a full time (40 hours/week) caregiver for twins.
Shelby | Double Up Books
This is a bestselling book and was recently updated in May 2009. In addition to Christina offering advice and practical strategies for coping with the challenges that with pregnant with and raising twins that parents of twins face, she has also include some wonderful tips from other couples with twins
Deborah
This is pretty helpful for information about pregnancy and after twins are born. I got the 1998 edition from the library and some information seemed out of date (like no information about Back to Sleep), so I would recommend only the 2nd edition published in 2009.
Kaye
This book contained great information about what you do and don't need with twins, and offered alternative viewpoints on how to handle future sticky situations with your multiples.
irfan darian
A good book for new parents of twins. Although written with an American perspective, some elements are universal in nature.
Karin
Although the author endorses some parenting philosophies I don't agree with, over-all I found it helpful.
Mrs. Revier
Mar 23, 2010 Mrs. Revier rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mom of multiples
a practical what you need to know/ what to expect kinds book
Gina
Some good advice, not a must read, though.
A good overview of what to come.
Dave
This seemed helpful but who knows. Ask me again in a few months after the twins arrive :-)
Jerry Johnson
Jerry Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Subasyini
Subasyini is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2014
Bj Moorehead
Bj Moorehead marked it as to-read
May 22, 2013
Krissy
Krissy marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
As a freelance journalist for more than 20 years, Christina started her career as a travel writer. Her travel features have appeared in the Los Angeles Times, the Chicago Tribune, the Boston Herald, and Westways magazine. Her first travel guide, Northern Italy: A Taste of Trattoria, now out of print, was the inspiration for her new travel series, Chow Italy.

With the birth of her fraternal twin son...more
More about Christina Baglivi Tinglof...
Stay-At-Home-Parent's Survival Guide: Real-Life Advice from Moms, Dads, and Other Experts A to Z Parenting School-Age Twins and Multiples The Organized Parent Double Duty: The Parents' Guide to Raising Twins, from Pregndouble Duty: The Parents' Guide to Raising Twins, from Pregnancy Through the School Years (2nd Edition) Ancy Through the School Years (2nd Edition) Chow Italy: Eat Well, Spend Less (Rome 2013)