Start by marking “A History of Us: Book 9: War, Peace, and All That Jazz” as Want to Read:
A History of Us: Book 9: War, Peace, and All That Jazz

A History of Us: Book 9: War, Peace, and All That Jazz (A History of US #9)

brFrom woman's suffrage to Babe Ruth's home runs, from Louis Armstrong's jazz to Franklin Delano Roosevelt's four presidential terms, from the finale of one world war to the dramatic close of the second, emWar, Peace, and All That Jazz/em presents the story of some of the most exciting years in U.S. history. With the end of World War I, many Americans decided to live it up ...more
Published January 5th 1995 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about A History of Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A History of Us

Blake
Jun 04, 2008 Blake rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-unabridged
This was book 9 and I will not read the others. For the most part however the book was good. however I feel it appeared to be written by a person of liberal and anti republican thinking. I am concerned that the youth of today would not realize the price of freedoms that get lost when socialism's and programs that encourage many social programs are implemented. Its a very fine line that must be walked when writing history.
Madilyn
Apr 28, 2016 Madilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
8Y, Review 7, 224 pages, 4/28/2016

History is an intriguing part of us. We can learn from it, and we can know what mistakes (as mankind) we made. The book A History of US: War, Peace, and All That Jazz: 1918-1945, written by Joy Hakim, deals with a time period where we had both the good times and the bad times. Even though this chapter of history is certainly not one that’s my favorite, it is nonetheless important to know about the events in this book.

A literary device that is effectively used i
Jenevieve
Aug 14, 2013 Jenevieve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
Middle-School History covering 1918-1945. Model T's, wood-frame airplanes, radios, Prohibition, jazz, the Roaring Twenties, Babe Ruth, flappers, the Depression, and two World Wars...all in a thirty-year span. That pretty much gives a good summary of what you find in this book. I've noticed that now that things are getting closer to modern times, the jumping around is much less and the author makes it a point to detail a lot more than what I remember learning about from my history classes, middle ...more
Melissa
I'm not sure why I was giving the earlier volumes in this series only 2 stars. The writing is totally corny in many places, and obviously a lot of information is overly simplified for this format, but as I finish the series, I appreciate the project of it more. The special section on art in the 9th book was a nice bonus too.
Evelynn
I'm not very interested in this particular time period for the U.S., but I do find the information about both World Wars fascinating. The last few chapters covering the second World War really brought the devastation that the first atomic bombs created to life, and it's heartbreaking that we had to go to such measures to end that terrible war.
Kerry
I was taking a history class when I listened to this book. I have a hard time memorizing facts that are meaningless to me. This book was told like a story and it was easy to follow and relate to the characters and so some of it at least stuck in my brain. I'm not a history buff by any stretch of the imagination - so this was a perfect way for me to learn about this period in history.
Taylor
Mar 19, 2013 Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
War, Peace, and All That Jazz: 1918-1945 is the very best book for information about the aftermath of World War I all the way to the end of World War II. This bok talks about Hitler before the rise of Nazi Germany, D-Day, Allies and Axis, and important people that weren't part if the war.
Elizabeth Shamblin
Wonderful writer, wonderful series. Not just for kids at all. I wish I owned the whole set. Instead, I borrowed it from the library and read it a little bit a week, at lunch to my captive lunch audience (Scott and Will).

Ron
Jan 12, 2015 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read War, Peace, and All That Jazz in the evening with my son as part of his history curriculum. It covered both world wars very briefly and with misplaced emphasis especially in regard top WWII events. Still a decent coverage of Depression America.
Andrew
Jun 14, 2010 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 11th-grade
A review of U.S history from 1918-1945
Conner
Dec 17, 2010 Conner rated it it was ok
Shelves: second-quarter
This is a book full of facts and infomation. It has good facts and history. It is from 1918-1945. It was an ok book
Skye
Mar 13, 2012 Skye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschool
Good book to go with the rest of the series.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
great information broken down for children at an elementary reading level a good childrens resource with text, pictures and informationa but the us history
Ariel Paiement
Apr 27, 2013 Ariel Paiement rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, favorites
This book was wonderful! I loved it and like all the books before it, this one was easy to understand and provided good, solid information!
Dexter
Mar 04, 2013 Dexter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, history
I enjoy the style of these history books, which means that I feel like I've actually learned and retained some knowledge when I finish them. A good general history book about the early/mid 1900s.
Judy
Interesting way to read the history of US
Nicky
Nicky rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
May 31, 2008
Stephanie Barth
Stephanie Barth rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2012
Squishyfish16
Squishyfish16 rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Alondra
Alondra rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2010
Keiahjah
Keiahjah rated it it was ok
Jan 17, 2015
Taylor
Taylor rated it liked it
May 07, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2012
Sherry
Sherry rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2017
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2011
Jason Converse
Jason Converse rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2010
Robin
Robin rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
May 26, 2013
Renee
Renee rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Traitor: the Case of Benedict Arnold
  • The Landing of the Pilgrims
  • Moonshiner's Son
  • World War II: The Rest Of The Story And How It Affects You Today, 1930 To September 11, 2001
  • Stink Alley
  • The Yanks Are Coming: The United States In The First World War
  • My Heart Lies South: The Story of My Mexican Marriage
  • The Slopes of War
  • Cameron Townsend: Good News in Every Language (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • The Boys' War: Confederate and Union Soldiers Talk About the Civil War
  • Dragon's Gate (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #3)
  • Bound for Oregon
  • The Modern Age: From Victoria's Empire to the End of the USSR (The Story of the World #4)
  • Before Columbus: The Americas of 1491
  • Nothing to Fear
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • Bonanza Girl
  • The Great Wall Of China
My husband and I live most of the year in Colorado, but we also have a longtime home in Virginia. I grew up in Rutland, Vermont and graduated from Rutland High School. I earned a bachelor's degree in government at Smith College, a master's degree in education from Goucher College, as well as an honorary doctorate from Goucher.

I've been a teacher: in Syracuse, New York; Omaha, Nebraska; and Virgini
More about Joy Hakim...

A History of US (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The First Americans: Prehistory-1600 (A History of US, Book One)
  • Making Thirteen Colonies: 1600-1740 A History of US (A History of US #2)
  • From Colonies to Country 1735-1791 (A History of US #3)
  • The New Nation: 1789-1850 (A History of US #4)
  • Liberty for All?: 1820-1860 (A History of US, Book 5)
  • A History of US: Book 6: War, Terrible War 1855-1865
  • A History of US: Book 7: Reconstructing America 1865-1890
  • An Age of Extremes 1880-1917 (A History of US #8)
  • All the People: 1945-2001 (A History of Us, Book 10)
  • A History of US: Sourcebook and Index: A History of US Book Eleven