What the Bible Is All About

What the Bible Is All About

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Nice Bible handbook NIV edition
Published December 31st 1998 by Regal Books (first published February 1st 1980)

Jenny
I stumbled on this book at Goodwill! There's got to be irony in that! Best $1 book GW treasure, but totally worth full price! It's simple to understand and by far the best Bible study guide, ever!
Cherop
I enjoy reading chapters of this books that correspond to the Bible passages I am about to read. It gives me a better understanding of the times and content.
Abbie Riddle
WOW! This is my third What the Bible is All About and this is wonderful. The book is compact enough to carry with me in my bible bag so that it is handy for use in my Sunday School class and Youth girls class (I also carry What the Bible is All About young explorers edition for my Sunday School class). When we recieved this in the mail my two sons (age 3 and 7) sat down on the couch and began looking at it. As with all the books in this edition it is extremely thourough in the breakdown of each...more
Abbie Riddle
This is the "big people" bible handbook. This is great to have as a resource especially for adults or older children. The younger children of the family will benefit from the What the Bible is All About Handbook for kids.

I especially liked this because if one wanted to one could read through this like a bible study, addressing each book as its own study. Each book has selected bible readings for an entire week - so that one could thoroughly study and pour through the scriptures to glean the tru...more
Annemarie Metcalf
This edition of Henrietta Mear's Classic Bible Commentary/companion is filled with interesting and historic pictures, but those images replace large sections of text available in previous editions.
In the mid-seventies they included much more of the original wording, only updating some of the language due it becoming dated. The older still copies, include some politically-incorrect analogies, but also a deep richness in her older style of English.

The concept of the Book is very useful for person...more
Susan Nichols
Jan 31, 2014 Susan Nichols is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
My brain likes order. This book really helps keep things clear and concise. Dr. Mear explains each and every book in the bible. She did a great job giving a complete overview of the scriptures. This is a great book to have right along with your bible!
Cindy
Aug 05, 2011 Cindy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
Recommended to Cindy by: friend Debbie
Shelves: favorites, finished
If you have read the Bible through, this book is still for you. The well written and easy to read book is like the jelly in a peanut-butter and jelly sandwich. The book compliments the Bible. It doesn't take away but adds new insights that are behind the scenes and helps explain some of those historical questions we tend to ask as we read the Bible. I know I will re-read this book over and over. I found the book encouraging me to re-read some books of the Bible in a new light. I recommend this b...more
Terry Morgan
Good overview of the entire Bible. It is solidly written,though if you want to go deeper in the Bible, I would recommend you supplement this book with others that would complement it. Mears touches on every book in the Bible, but doesn't go into a lot of detail with any of them.
Elaine
Gives a good overview of each book in the Bible and puts context around what the author was trying to get across. Doesn't replace the Bible, but it is a good tool to reference when you are reading the Bible.
Fastener Gal
Okay...can't attempt to read the Bible without this book. Even though I have the Quest NIV version...I needed this to get me through. If you're gonna read the epic novel...you might need some help.
Margaret Metz
We first got this for a Sunday School class. Now we have a couple different versions of it and have used it for several personal studies and homeschool as well. It's a great too for Bible study.
Dana
Aug 06, 2012 Dana rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone in God's word
Recommended to Dana by: My Pastor
A great resource book, I use it often in our homeschool studies, very clear and easy to use recommended by my Pastor and Bible Teacher. Good book to have when studying the Word of GOD.
Margaret Metz
Great to use for Bible studies. I bought a second one for my son when he got old enough so he could have it for his studies with me.
Carol
Excellent resource for anyone studying the bible. Although originally published in 1953, Mears writing is easy to understand.
Esther
Probably the best info and summary I've read. I especially learned a lot from the chapter on Revelations.
Trinity
Somehow I expected more of this book but sadly there was little I felt was new. Pity.
Kimberly McRae
A good book by book synopsis of the topical information contained in the Bible.
Andy Mitchell
The best Bible handbook I've ever read. Great insights, simple to understand.
Michael Locklear
An excellent guide through each book of the Bible!
Jamie Wylly
My all-time favorite Bible Study Guide and companion.
Bill Tillman
A real classic, wonderful read.
Trish Johnson
Apr 05, 2012 Trish Johnson marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
A gift
Graham
Graham added it
Jul 30, 2014
Moody Nehemiah
Moody Nehemiah marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Heather
Heather is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2014
Ralphz
Ralphz marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
  • Evidence That Demands a Verdict
  • A Woman and Her God: Life-Enriching Messages
  • The Great House of God
  • Covenant Marriage: Building Communication and Intimacy
  • Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit (Great Lives from God's Word, #6)
  • The Bible Promise Book - KJV
  • Fresh Faith: What Happens When Real Faith Ignites God's People
  • Gods Generals Volume 1: Why They Succeeded and Why Some Fail
  • Teaching to Change Lives: Seven Proven Ways to Make Your Teaching Come Alive
  • Know Your Bible: All 66 Books Explained and Applied
Dream Big: The Henrietta Mears Story Christians On the Move: The Book of Acts: The Continuing Work of Jesus Christ Through the Apostles and the Early Church What the Bible is All About, Quick Reference Edition What the Bible is All about 202 New Testament: Colossians-Revelations Group Study Guide Discover Jesus in the Pages of the Bible: Amazing Facts About the Greatest Person Who Ever Lived