Start by marking “On Top of Concord Hill (Little House: The Caroline Years, #4)” as Want to Read:
On Top of Concord Hill (Little House: The Caroline Years, #4)

On Top of Concord Hill (Little House: The Caroline Years #4)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  4,285 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
The Little House books have captivated millions of readers with their story of Laura Ingalls, a little pioneer girl growing up on the American frontier. Now travel back to the generation before Laura's and read the story of Caroline Quiner, the little girl who would grow up to be Ma Ingalls in the beloved Little House books.

The first three books in the series describe the
Published September 30th 2000 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published September 1st 2000)

Ashley Perham
Feb 05, 2015 Ashley Perham rated it really liked it
So Charlotte gets married in this book, which I'm pretty sure is not a spoiler at all! (I hope) The whole thing is a leeetle awkies, but it's like a natural awkies. (If that makes sense) Mr. Holbrook is a lot different from the whole family, actually, but in the following book he finally seems to fit in. Also, Henry gets obsessed with the gold rush and basically becomes a jerk! Which is sad because I like Henry :( Henry and Mr. Holbrook start on rocky ground, but several incidents help to repair ...more
Lea Ann
I haven't read this yet BUT I just learned to night that Caroline Quiner (who became Caroline Ingalls) grew up about five miles from where I work. I've been captivated by the Mansfield, Missouri, home and museum of laura ingalls wilder... but I didn't know I was so close to where her mom grew up and where her parents met! Sorry - not much of a review - - more like why I want to read this book!
Gl
Jan 21, 2008 Gl rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: laura ingalls fans
I am a huge fan of the Laura Ingalls stories!!! The tried and true Laura stories are by far my favorites, but when I came across stories of her great-grandmother all the way down to her daughter, I was thrilled.
Kaye
Feb 02, 2009 Kaye rated it liked it
Shelves: pre-teen
Little house, Caroline years. (Laura's mother)
Sannasue
Jan 19, 2010 Sannasue rated it really liked it
Little House on the Prarie is one of my favorite kids series, and I am enjoying reading all of these prequels.
Katie
Mar 17, 2010 Katie rated it really liked it
I am reading/re-reading all of the Little House stories in order this year (see my comments under Beyond the Heather Hills and Across the Puddingstone Dam).

I have been writing reviews/comments about these books at the end of each series. I have decided, though, to write a review halfway through the Caroline series because after On Top of Concord Hill the series is no longer written by Maria D. Wilkes (which is such a terrible shame).

I have been looking forward to reading these books so long as I
Rea K
Jul 13, 2015 Rea K rated it really liked it
So I hadn't read this one. I confused this book with Little House in Brookfield. Oh well.
This one was quite special and also a little nervewracking. Boy, if you don't plan on seeing a portion of this through to the end, you're going to worry your little butt off.
I have to do some mapwork, but I got really excited because I could say Oconomowoc.
All of the sewing has me itching to do some sewing. And knitting. And embroidery.
THIS ONE IS A VERY IMPORTANT POINT IN THE STORY. Well, if you're not
Rosa Cline
This is the fourth book in the Little House books Caroline series. As with the others this fourth book was better than the first due to already knowing the characters and being able to just enjoy the storyline and being 'there in the moment' with them. A simple but heartwarming easy read, perfect to help drift your mind into another time and place before you have to go to bed. Love these books!

In this book Charlotte and her children adjust to having a Pa around after Charlotte marries one of th
Rachael
Aug 17, 2012 Rachael rated it it was amazing
Honestly this was a book I really got into of the Caroline series for the most part I haven't been overly immerse myself in this series, but this book I really did. Charlotte Quiner gets remarried in this book and that inspired me to fact check the author and she was completely correct. Then from there I just kept researching Laura Ingalls Wilder genelogy. I learned so many things because this novel inspired me to fact check. I love Laura and her family so I was glad to be more educated about th ...more
Rebecca
Sep 18, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it
My only complaint about this entry in the series is that you really need to have read the one before it to get to know Mr. Holbrook better. I accidentally read this one first, and while the narrator said Caroline was glad about Mr. Holbrook's relationship with her mother, I didn't buy it from what had been written about him thus far in this book. She seemed rather ambivalent about him, finding all his flaws; you have to read the other book to find out the nice things about him.
Emily
Aug 18, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Laura Ingalls Wilder fans
I like this Caroline book but it seems to be a little sad because its hard for her family to adjust to their new pa. Also the family gets sick with cholera which ends up leaving them very weak for awhile and their new Pa's legs get weak because of how badly he came down with the cholera. The ending though is good because the whole family now gets along. Caroline is now looking forward to a new beginning and the growth of their little farm in Concord, Wisconsin.
Sadie
Apr 27, 2009 Sadie rated it really liked it
The one thing I like about these stories is that, as they are based in fact, there is no promise of happy endings. When sickness comes into the house, there is no promise that people will survive. This adds an element of suspense that I wasn't expecting, and I enjoy it. This one delves a little deeper into the family dynamics as things are changing and the children are growing up. Enjoyable read as I have come to expect.
Mary-Jane
Sep 24, 2015 Mary-Jane rated it really liked it
The excitement of this book is that ma (Charlotte) marries Frederick Holbrook which provides stability for the family, support and companionship for ma, and a new pa for the 6 children. The drama continues when Pa and Henry bring home cholera from the market and most of the family becomes ill. No one dies. Henry has the most difficulty adjusting to his new pa and is tempted to join the California gold rush, but harmony returns to the home by the end of the book.
Kasey
Mar 25, 2010 Kasey rated it liked it
This book was a fun read but nothing truly significant happens in it. I would greatly encourage Little House fans to read the whole little house series beginning with Laura's great grandmother, Martha, and ending with Laura's daugher, Rose. It was so much fun reading about the different times these women lived in. Rated three stars because it is way below my reading level so it is a entertaining fast read.
Amy
Really enjoyed this book, probably my favorite of the series so far. I'd definitely like to own the series to share with my own children in the future - it's a shame it's out of print. I can see why these books are so popular with home schooling families as well - you can do whole unit studies with them from biology (using gardening to teach science) to math (with baking, bean counting, etc.) and character education along with the obvious - reading and writing.
Callie Stillion
Aug 05, 2013 Callie Stillion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a good book. There was a Camp Meeting and Caroline said to her Mother, 'Is dancing really a sin?' But her Mother replied, 'No Caroline. I would never teach you something that is a sin.' Mother didn`t like the Camp Meeting and the next day the family did not go. ...more
Lauri
Dec 28, 2013 Lauri rated it liked it
I do enjoy these books, but I can't help feel dirty for it since they mostly exist for the publisher to make money on a known franchise, so I feel guilty for enjoying the stories.
Katie Loucks
love this series!!!!!
Crystal
Dec 29, 2014 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the glimpse into the past.
Ruth
Apr 24, 2010 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Love these books!
Zoe
Nov 17, 2011 Zoe rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
These books are well drawn and lovely, but never quite have the detail of the original series.
Ruth
Jul 26, 2013 Ruth rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
The best part is getting to know Caroline's step-father; the dull part was discussion of the work involved surrounding the mill. Highlights also include: illness in the family & Grandma.
Debbie Sally
Feb 27, 2015 Debbie Sally rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, fiction
This book is the very first Little House books that I read. It's a warm story.
Joni Rupnow
Oct 27, 2014 Joni Rupnow rated it liked it
It was good.
Annie Harris
Annie Harris rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2015
Rana Alnajjar
Rana Alnajjar rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2014
Gabriela
Gabriela rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2014
Deborah Ingebrigtsen-elrod
Deborah Ingebrigtsen-elrod rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2014
Staci
Staci rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2014
Betty Grebe
Betty Grebe rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2015
  • On Tide Mill Lane (Little House: The Charlotte Years, #2)
  • Across the Rolling River (Little House: The Caroline Years, #5)
  • New Dawn on Rocky Ridge (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #6)
  • Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years
  • A Little House Sampler: A Collection of Early Stories and Reminiscenses
  • On the Way Home: The Diary of a Trip from South Dakota to Mansfield, Missouri, in 1894  (Little House #10)
  • Mary Ingalls on Her Own
  • Young Pioneers
Maria D. Wilkes first read the Little House books as a young girl and has been fascinated by pioneer history ever since. She did extensive research on the Quiner, Ingalls, and Wilder families, studied original sources and family letters and diaries, and worked in close consultation with several historians and the Laura Ingalls Wilder estate as she wrote the Caroline Years books. She lives in New J ...more
More about Maria D. Wilkes...

Little House: The Caroline Years (7 books)
  • Little House in Brookfield (Little House: The Caroline Years, #1)
  • Little Town at the Crossroads (Little House: The Caroline Years, #2)
  • Little Clearing in the Woods (Little House: The Caroline Years, #3)
  • Across the Rolling River (Little House: The Caroline Years, #5)
  • Little City by the Lake (Little House: The Caroline Years, #6)
  • A Little House of Their Own (Little House: The Caroline Years, #7)