For Your Eyes Only

For Your Eyes Only (James Bond (Original Series) #8)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  6,248 ratings  ·  214 reviews
The destruction of a Russian hideout at SHAPE headquarters near Paris; the planned assassination of a Cuban thug in America; the tracking of a heroin ring from Rome to Venice and beyond; for Bond it is just routine. For anyone else - certain death.
Mass Market Paperback, 143 pages
Published January 1st 1962 by Signet Book (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about For Your Eyes Only, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Your Eyes Only

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 3.25* of five

Wow! What a film. 1981 was quite a year at the movie-house: Arthur, Das Boot, Gallipoli, Chariots of Fire...and this. The movie doesn't follow the book's plot particularly closely, adding stuff from another short story, inventing stuff...but what the hey, why should this one be different?

It's a standard revenge-action-espionage flick. Nothing in space, some stuff underwater that makes some kinda sense, and the best Bondmobile ever: A Citroën 2CV!

from Wikimedia on a Commons...more
Handan
Having grown up engrossed by the James Bond films (with one or two exceptions...you know which Bonds I mean...), I was curious as to how the original novels would rate. I have come away from my second Fleming fascinated, if not thoroughly impressed. The films accurately capture how scattershot Bond's life is--he hops the globe the same way he breathes, seemingly indifferent. However, the novel far surpasses any film in that we see Bond's logic and internal monologues, complete with banal asides...more
Lisa
The stories are good but dated. James Bond is a first class agent but a complete arse with a deplorable attitude to women (although that is mainly a front as he adores strong women with pluck!).
Outrageous shenanigans in the name of saving the Brits! Enjoyable but ludicrous ;)
GoldGato
JAMES BOND
the indestructible agent who thrives on trouble--both violent and voluptuous--pits his devastating wiles and deadly charm against the most bizarre fiends he's ever encountered in these high-voltage exploits taken direct from the files of
IAN FLEMING
master of murder, mystery, and incredible suspense.

Aahh, you have to love the way the original Bond novels were marketed in the early 1960s...a time of Cold War served with martinis, timeless clothing, and British spies who could swing with t...more
Danny M
Oct 07, 2012 Danny M rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SPY & SUSPENSE READERS
Recommended to Danny by: BOOK CLUB
YES, I AM A FAN OF THE JAMES BOND BOOKS! MY MOTHER DURING THE 1960'S PURCHASED THE COMPLETE SET OF IAN FLEMINGS BOOKS, THE JAMES BOND SERIES, FROM A SIGN UP OFFERING OF A BOOK CLUB FOR $1.99. IN MY EARLY TEENS I READ EVERY BOOK AND IT STARTED ME AS AN AVID READER OF SPY AND SUSPENSE NOVELS. I HAVE PROBABLY READ THE COMPLETE SET ABOUT 6 TIMES FROM 1960 TO PRESENT. I AM GOING TO WRITE A GENERIC REVIEW OF THE JAMES BOND SERIES AS EVERYONE PROBABLY KNOWS THE STORYLINE FROM EITHER READING THE BOOKS O...more
El
It was bound to happen eventually during this Bond-a-thon movie/book project of mine. It was bound to happen that eventually there would be a collection of stories that included titles of movies my brother and I haven't (re)watched yet. As I held this in my hand, flipping through it, I panicked. How do I do this? I wondered. Do I read just For Your Eyes Only since that's the movie we most recently watched? And then check the book out again for, say, A View to a Kill? And then again for Quantum o...more
Rick Brindle
I thought this collection of short stories highlighted how James Bond of the novels, and possibly Ian Fleming as well, were hanging on to an old world where Britannia ruled and women did what men told them to do. But his books were best sellers, so maybe a lot of people thought like that at the time.
Anyway, From a View to a Kill is a short spy story about assassinations and stealing secrets. Bond of course saves the day.
For Your Eyes Only takes us to Canada where Bond acts as assassin, and of co...more
James
The first collection of Fleming's Bond short stories. "From a View to a Kill", "For Your Eyes Only", "Quantum of Solace", "Risico", and "The Hildebrand Rarity".

A mixed bag. I enjoyed "Quantum of Solace" the most, even though it's the least 'Bond' of the stories. "For Your Eyes Only" the least.
Phil
Well, blow me down if the short story format hasn't breathed new life into James Bond. The last two Bond books (Dr No and Goldfinger) had been pretty terrible - cliched, plodding, repetitious of early books in the series - but this short story collection has really revived my interest in the character and the series.

One of the problems with Fleming's books - and this has been apparent right from Casino Royale - is that he finds it very hard to create enough plot to fill the books and so situati...more
Steve Mitchell
James Bond returns once again, this time around instead of a novel Ian Fleming’s eighth helping is a collection of short stories. If you have tried to read a Bond novel and found it not to your liking, I would suggest that you give these a go.

From a View to a Kill: A British army motorcycle dispatch rider is murdered on his way to NATO headquarters. Unconvinced that this was not a serious breach of security and anxious to protect MI6’s assets, M instructs Bond to investigate.

For Your Eyes Only:...more
F.R.
Taken in isolation, the tales in this collection would probably look like shaggy dog stories. There’s some exciting action and amusing observations, but they don’t really add up too much. However looked at together, they do show some interesting things about Fleming’s conception of his lead character. For example: ‘Quantum of Solace’ – which is certainly the most passive Bond tale I’ve come across so far, in that all he does is sit there and listen to a story – sees Bond at the end gripped with...more
Kevin Rubin
For Your Eyes Only is a book of a few short James Bond stories, some of which have titles recognizable from the movies but aren't related otherwise.

Several take place at the waning days of the British Empire with Bond investigating things in remote parts of the empire with regional governors telling him about "the natives" even as their own power is diminishing.

In "A View to a Kill" he investigates a spy ring intercepting the allies' motorcycle couriers, turning himself into the bait for them on...more
Helmut
Vertraulich!

"From a View to a Kill"
Klassischer kalter Krieg "durch die Blume": eine sowjetische Spionagezelle ist so gut getarnt, dass es der unbedingten Einsatzbereitschaft und des Spürsinns eines James Bond bedarf, sie aufzudecken. Interessant - die ganzen netten Gimmicks haben die Russen, nicht Bond. Vielleicht die schwächste Geschichte dieses Bands.

"For Your Eyes Only"
Der harte Hund M zeigt so etwas wie menschliche Anflüge: Bond soll ihm einen persönlichen Gefallen tun und einen Familienmord...more
Howard Olsen
Like the movie of the same name, this is an underrated Bond work. It's actually a collection of 5 short stories, elements of which have ended up in at least 4 Bond movies.

A View To A Kill: Bond smokes out a nest of Commie spies in Paris. A little too much bureaucratic in fighting among allied intelligence services for my taste; but the opening where a motorcycle rider is killed is justly famous.

For Your Eyes Only: begins with Cubans killing a pair of British dowagers in exotic Jamaica, but most...more
Adam Stone
For Your Eyes Only is a departure for the James Bond books so far, as this one is not a single story rather a collection of five short stories featuring the exploits of James Bond. The stories were all very different in style which made for a very eclectic collection of stories some of which worked much better than others. You don’t learn much more about the character of Bond in these five stories than you already know and, as these are short stories, you don’t really get the interesting sub plo...more
Jay
This contains a number of short stories. Some felt like episodes that Fleming wrote to include in other books and never got around to it. Others felt like very short complete stories. Bond has an attitude that didn't make it to the movies, and it comes out here.
Erik
"Quantum of Solace" is the winner of the bunch here and it has nothing to do with what one typically associates with James Bond. Rather, the story consists of a story told to James Bond after a dinner party. "Risico" was also quite good, as was "The Hildebrand Rarity," which serves as a showcase for Ian Fleming's overall distaste for America. I found "From a View to a Kill" to be the weakest story in the collection; it was thin and almost read like a screenplay. The stronger stories gave a world...more
John
Five great stories. Three of them (From a View to a Kill, For Your Eyes Only, and Quantum of Solace) have had movies made with those names - none of the films had much, if anything, to do with the stories here. Quantum of Solace is particularly interesting, in that Bond is only along for the ride, so to speak - he's part of the framing story, in which a guy he's had dinner with tells him an amazing, awful, fantastic tale.

The last story, The Hildebrand Rarity, might be my favorite of the bunch....more
Mike (the Paladin)
As noted before I was young when I read the Bond books and this one (a collection of short stories) made less of an impression on me. I rated it lower as the enjoyment value was (for me) less.

Interesting side note among the titles as well as For Your Eyes Only was: From a View to a Kill a part of which title was used for a movie (Roger Moore) and also Quantum of Solace the movie by that name shares nothing with the story.
Scott Waldyn
I'll admit, I was a little apprehensive of reading a collection of Bond stories, rather than indulging in another novel-length spy thriller. Ian Fleming proved me wrong. This collection of short stories is solid - hard, fast, and tight prose. Fleming manages to step away from the expected, espionage-fueled Bond outings and gives us two stories, "Quantum of Solace" and "The Hildebrand Rarity", that deal with rather important topics, as well - something beyond the fantasy of James Bond.

"Quantum of...more
Michael
This is an interesting new take on Bond - short stories! And not a one of them familiar but for a few names or snippets here and there. In a way it's frustrating because I'd like to read the stories that begat the movies I love, but it's also fun because I have no idea what's going to happen.

From a View to a Kill is Bond boiled down to basics - a novel condensed into a few pages. It's like Bond Jolt Cola.

For Your Eyes Only adds great dimension to the relationship with M and fleshes out the world...more
Barry
This book is nothing special, though the stories are fairly entertaining. The short stories tend to start slowly and take a while to grab your attention, but when they finally get rolling they are worth reading. Fight through the start and you will be entertained. Some of the stories are much better than the others, but overall this book is worth reading.
Thomas Strömquist
"The first set of Bond short stories to be collected in a book. The shorter format suited Fleming and his hero well and this is a fun and different (from the novels that is) read. The first two of the five; From a view to a kill and For your eyes only are the best in my opinion. The first calls for some detective skills in Bond with a mystery of a disappeared motorcycle courier and the second put him up against Cuban mob, with a few complications, when he investigates a double homicide in Jamaic...more
Mark C. Jackson
This book was different. First, very few chapters, and the chapters it did have, were eventually the names of movies (View to a Kill, Quantum of Solace, For Your Eyes Only). It was basically 3 different stories in one book, without a central theme. And of course, it ended rather abruptly, more so than previous books.
Kathryn Guare
This was the first Ian Fleming/James Bond book I've read, and I was absolutely gobsmacked by how little the stories resemble the movies. This is a book of short stories. The writing is better than I expected, there is quite a bit of lovingly vivid descriptions of nature in each of them, and some of them have very little action at all. The "Quantum of Solace" story has absolutely nothing to do with the movie. In fact, Bond is merely a passive audience in it, as he hears an after-dinner tale told...more
Paul
Really enjoyable set of short stories. On the plus side the heavy drinking and descriptive writing; downside - the casual misogyny and racist but hey, it's the sixties.
Stephen
My first James Bond novel turned out not to be a novel at all, but a collection of short stories, only a couple of which are the actual spy thrillers one would expect, and yet I found those other stories (one in particular is just 007 listening to the narrative of a failed marriage on a chintz couch) to be the best. Sure, it's fun to look back at the roots of what would become one of the biggest film franchises of all time and laugh at it's hokum, but Ian Fleming seems like his real thrill was n...more
Dave Anderson
Have to agree with the contemporary reviews of For Your Eyes Only; Fleming's short stories are very tight writing. There is nothing wasted or unnecessary here. "Quantum of Solace" and "The Hildebrand Rarity" are my two favorites. As much as I enjoy the full novels, Fleming's writing is as dry as Tom Clancy was later in The Hunt For Red October. I've tried picking up Clancy after that, but it's a struggle. Maybe I'm a short-story enthusiast. Fleming's short stories get right to the point: the act...more
Ed
Even before I started this book I felt compelled to review each short story on its own since they are not connected. So here goes. FROM A VIEW TO A KILL (*) was potentially interesting because it was Bond on a very small stakes mission. But follows isn't so much bad as really boring. The villains are killing army couriers or something but they're hiding underground like the Vietcong would eventually do. This one is a lot of Bond on his own and the action, which is never Fleming's strong suit, is...more
Alex
The unevenness of this first collection of Bond shorts somehow simply adds to its idiosyncratic charm. With this short book, Fleming made made another effort to shake up the Bond formula and move into new directions. The results are mixed, but it's a wildly entertaining ride discovering where it works and where it doesn't and if sometimes the stories are not all that complex or intriguing, they're certainly never boring.

The first two shorts, From A View To A Kill and For Your Eyes Only have fair...more
FHS English 12 - ...: Week Six 7 8 Mar 09, 2014 07:19AM
Week One 2 18 Jan 12, 2013 11:49AM
  • License Renewed (John Gardner's Bond, #1)
  • The Facts of Death (James Bond, #2)
  • Colonel Sun (James Bond, #15)
  • Devil May Care (James Bond, #36)

Ian Lancaster Fleming was a British author, journalist and Second World War Navy Commander. Fleming is best remembered for creating the character of James Bond and chronicling his adventures in twelve novels and nine short stories. Additionally, Fleming wrote the children's story Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and two...more
More about Ian Fleming...
Casino Royale (James Bond, #1) From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5) Goldfinger (James Bond, #7) Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2) Moonraker (James Bond, #3)

“I think it's the same with all the relationships between a man and a woman. They can survive anything so long as some kind of basic humanity exists between the two people. When all kindness has gone, when one person obviously and sincerely doesn't care if the other is alive or dead, then it's just no good.

-- from Quantum of Solace”
30 likes
“You can get far in North America with laconic grunts. "Huh," "hun," and "hi!" in their various modulations, together with "sure," "guess so," "that so?" and "nuts!" will meet almost any contingency.” 11 likes