Start by marking “Still More Stories from Grandma's Attic (Grandma's Attic, #3)” as Want to Read:
Still More Stories from Grandma's Attic (Grandma's Attic, #3)

Still More Stories from Grandma's Attic (Grandma's Attic #3)

American life around the turn of the century is the backdrop for these heart-warming, real-life stories! And while some things have changed for girls, some haven't.Grandma's wonderful memory -- like Grandma's attic -- holds a storehouse of treasures from the past.
Published July 1st 1999 by Chariot Victor Publishing (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Still More Stories from Grandma's Attic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Still More Stories from Grandma's Attic

Bluerose's  Heart
These books are just precious! They are amongst the cutest books I've ever read!

I didn't realize until I was well into the first book that these are actually reprints. Arleta Richardson passed away in 2004. When I found this out, it made the stories even more dear to me.

The books consists of several short stories about Arleta's Grandmother's childhood and many of the lessons she had to learn the hard way. I found them all quite humorous!

My favorite was probably the one called, "High Society".
My Mom read these books to me and my siblings one year. They are the best!
Renee
Oct 19, 2011 Renee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
When I was growing up, my grandmother lived in a great old house with lots of bedrooms and antiques to investigate. We grandkids took turns spending the night with her and listening to her stories. Nannie had lived through World War I, the Great Depression, World War II, and many cultural changes. She had a wealth of life experiences from which to educate and entertain us, and we soaked up every detail.

So I can completely relate to the premise of Arleta Richardson’s books. Arleta’s grandmother
Nicola Mansfield
Continuing along in the same format as the first two books, Arleta is living with her Grandmother and Uncle Roy. Each chapter is an individual story which starts off with Arleta in the present and her grandmother ends up telling her a tale of when she was a little girl in the 1880's. The time frame has moved ahead a little bit from the previous two books though Mabel (Grandma) does go back as far as being six years old; she is mostly 12/13 and the majority of the stories involve her and her best ...more
Sunflower
Arleta Richardson's books are treasures from the past.

For those who are familiar with her work, these were books, that late at night, during summer vacations and with friends, we would read stories out loud and giggle at each stories....Growing up, reading these books now, is a trip back to simpler times before internet, social media, cell phones, television....everything and giggling at how different times are now for the people in Richardson's book and the times now.

Little girls would love how
Wendy
Feb 02, 2008 Wendy rated it it was ok
For some inexplicable reason, I LOVED this book when I was a kid and read most of the stories over and over again. I borrowed a couple of the others in the set, but this was the one I owned and I thought the stories were the best.

Not long ago I found one of the others at a used bookstore and bought it. Mostly I noticed how very, very religious and preachy the stories were. I don't mind a little preaching from Caroline Ingalls now and then, but the actual story was hard to find amid the preaching
Oct 06, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
Arleta Richardson has done it again! In Still More Stories from Grandma’s Attic, Book 3, we hear Grandma Mabel telling us more hilarious stories of her mischievous childhood, along with her best friend Sarah Jane, and her two brothers, Reuben and Roy. As a child around six, you will find her in many a different pickle due to her absent-mindedness! Days of old, with little earthly goods, yet blessed with much. God’s mercy and grace, understanding and warmth are shown through her dad without using ...more
Aug 27, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: STILL MORE STORIES FROM GRANDMA’S ATTIC
Author: Arleta Richardson
Publisher: David C. Cook
August 2011
ISBN: 978-0-7814-0381-8
Genre: Inspirational/nonfiction/young adult/memoir

When I was a little girl, I owned a series of books called Grandma’s Attic, stories about a grandmother when she was a little girl back in the 1880s. Well, now-a-days, little girls’ grandmothers were born in the 40’s, 50’s, and even 60’s, so they don’t get first hand stories about how their great-great-whatever grandmo
Sarahelisabeth
Jun 11, 2016 Sarahelisabeth rated it it was amazing
I haven't read the earlier books in this series but found this book free for Kindle.
Each chapter is a separate stand-alone story of a tale told to the author by her Grandmother, Mabel. Mabel and her friend, Sarah-Jane, managed to have funny escapades while learning how to grow up. This book is written from a clear Christian worldview. It has a beautiful and compassionate story of how Mabel's family cared for the grandfather of another family. This gentleman was suffering from dementia but this
Cheryl
Sep 25, 2011 Cheryl rated it really liked it
I read the first two books and loved them. I enjoy hearing about when Mabel was a little girl just as much as Arleta does. The best part of these stories is the lessons that Mabel learned. Things like stealing is bad from Windfalls, you can not believe every advertisement from Face Cream from Godey’s Lady’s Book and dogs can spell in The Dog Who Could Spell. In this book, I get to know Mabel’s best friend, Sarah Jane better as well. They were always getting in trouble. Mabel maybe just a little ...more
Maureen Timerman
Aug 23, 2011 Maureen Timerman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-read
This is the third book in this wonderful series. These stories are over a hundred years old, but with good messages for today.bB
What wonderful heartwarming stories, my kids love to have them read to them. You will find that Pa better listen to Ma when she has her heart set on something. You will meet their great Dog Pep, and how he can spell! You will be chuckling with many of the things that Mable and Sarah Jane seem to get into.
Be prepared for a few tissues, but also with a good many belly lau
Elizabeth
Aug 13, 2014 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: with-the-kids
This is the third book in the series. I really love these as I reread through them with my children. Not every one connects with them yet, but I love the idea of these books growing with my kids.

My favorite story in this volume is "The Prettiest House in the County," which I think that husbands and wives are the same in the 1880s and today. So funny and true.

I also love "Face Cream From Godey's Lady's Book" because it is such a testament to the folly of young girls.

These are great stories about
Amber French
Sep 11, 2011 Amber French rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed these books! I read Grandma's Attic when I was in middle school and loved it! I was excited at the opportunity to be able to read the stories again. I laughed at Mabel's experiences, wondering how one girl could find herself in so many "scrapes." I think the story about the face cream might be one of my favorites. I liked how the stories weren't super long, making them good for quick reads. I like everything about the books - really great reads!
Jael
Sep 06, 2009 Jael rated it really liked it
I was asked to do children's story at church, so this was the beginning of my quest to find a story I could tell. I didn't end up using any of the stories from this book, but it was fun to revisit this favourite from childhood anyway.
Kaity-Jane Culbertson
Aug 04, 2011 Kaity-Jane Culbertson rated it it was amazing
CUTE book! I loved all the lessons taught through the cute stories -- already planning on sending these to a friend's family with little girls who will love these stories!
LaDonna
Aug 26, 2014 LaDonna rated it really liked it
My kids love these stories!
Clement Lee
Dec 14, 2016 Clement Lee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Warm and amusing stories for the heart. Gives a good glimpse into the rural life, where simplicity reigns.
Lindsay
Dec 10, 2015 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Like the first book, this is filled with more funny tales, from the olden days from the olden days. it's my favorite series ever!
Hannah
May 07, 2009 Hannah rated it really liked it
A very fun book!
Aliza Heslop
Jan 14, 2017 Aliza Heslop rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great family book. Mabel and Sarah Jane never fail in there ideas to make mischif.
Courtney
Jul 03, 2007 Courtney rated it liked it
I read part of this book on the plane to the Bahamas! And yesterday I picked up where I left off.It brought back memories...Huhhhhh!
MichelleEmily
MichelleEmily rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
Kelly Sternberg
Kelly Sternberg rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2012
Kristen Lee
Kristen Lee rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2013
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2012
Shirley
Shirley rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2015
Allison
Allison rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2009
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2012
Cassie
Cassie rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Nichole
Nichole rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2012
  • Mandie and the Charleston Phantom (Mandie Books, #7)
  • The Gospel Story Bible: Discovering Jesus in the Old and New Testaments
  • Hell Is Real (But I Hate to Admit It)
  • Delirious: My Journey with the Band, a Growing Family, and an Army of Historymakers
  • The Tanglewoods' Secret
  • The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook
  • Mirror Ball: Living Boldly and Shining Brightly for the Glory of God
  • True Courage: Emboldened by God in a Disheartening World (Bold Man of God)
  • The Journeyman
  • Courage to Run: A Story Based on the Life of Harriet Tubman
  • Mother Carey's Chickens
Arleta Richardson was an author, librarian, and a teacher. The Grandma's Attic series was her most well known series. She was born in Flint, MI, and served in World War II. She belonged to the Free Methodist Church.

More about Arleta Richardson...

Grandma's Attic (10 books)
  • In Grandma's Attic (Grandma's Attic, #1)