Start by marking “The Sword Bearer (Archives of Anthropos, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sword Bearer (Archives of Anthropos, #1)

The Sword Bearer (Archives of Anthropos #1)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  581 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
It was John's birthday. He would be thirteen. And what's more, it was on this day that his grandmother would tell him the mystery of his locket . . . And of his parents. But it was not to be. Before he could find out, he was magically transported to the land of Anthropos where he was startled to be hailed as the Sword Bearer, the slayer of the Goblin Prince. Here, in the i ...more
Published June 19th 1986 by IVP Books (first published June 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Sword Bearer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sword Bearer

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Path to Sacrifice by Chris       SmithScepter of Faith by Chris       Smith
Best Christian Fantasy books
64th out of 239 books — 251 voters
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Orb of Truth by Brae WyckoffThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Christian Fantasy
169th out of 385 books — 531 voters

More lists with this book...

Aelvana
Oct 31, 2014 Aelvana rated it it was amazing
John Wilson was happy on his way home from school on the day of his 13th birthday, the day his grandmother has promised to tell him about his parents. But his wonderful day collapses when he trips over the body of his grandmother as he enters their house. She's dead, and now he'll never know. He's too much in shock to feel much grief just yet. Then a worse piece of news comes the next morning: Nicholas Slapfoot, the town's frightening scrap man, a man who almost killed John on his last birthday, ...more
Molly
Jan 14, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it
Looking back, I know this series wasn't very good. In fact, it was probably awful. But as a kid, I couldn't tell - or didn't care - that it was a poor Lewis/Tolkien/everyone else hack. I LOVED this series.
Lydia
Nov 17, 2015 Lydia rated it really liked it
John has a very eventful 13th birthday. For years his Grandma has promised to tell him the story of his parents on this day; John knows his mother is dead, but his father is more a mystery. However, when the big day arrives things go rather horrible, and John still doesn't find out about his family. Before his life can go really terribly (or be ended), John finds a strange door that leads him to new adventures, a battle of good and evil that takes place around and in him and a marvelous differen ...more
Rowan
Feb 07, 2011 Rowan rated it it was ok
I found this book impossible to read without being reminded in my inner sense by my own nostaglic feelings for Narnia which I loved so so much.
This is the story John Wilson who after a traumatic event and in life threatening circumstances finds himself in another world inhabited by Matmon, dwarf like creatures and the purpose of fulfilling a prohency made about him centuries ago.
My main point of comparision to the Chronicles of Narnia would for the audience it is written. This is very much
Jemma
Mar 21, 2015 Jemma rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Jemma by: Kathy
This is a review of the entire series
A great series of books, a lot like Narnia, children from our world go into another and meet Jesus/Aslan/Gaal. The characters were interesting and so was the plot. The last book was my favorite.
Random note: I remember imagining the citizens of this land as insects when I was younger.
Dianna
Apr 10, 2014 Dianna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Charmaine Stubblefield
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoyed reading this! I picked up and read "The Iron Scepter" (number 4 in this series I think?) and decided to give the rest of the books a try. John White spins an encouraging tale that smacks of C. S. Lewis's Narnia Chronicles quite a bit, but remains different enough to be entertaining and fun to read. We can all be inspired by John and his newly found friends. :0)
Nicole
Feb 22, 2014 Nicole rated it really liked it
This book did remind me a lot of a Chronicle of Narnia book. Even though I had not read the first two books in the series I had no problem understanding what was going on.
Bella
Jan 03, 2015 Bella rated it did not like it
Shelves:
really cool
King Haddock
Aug 31, 2008 King Haddock rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this first book in the Archives of Anthropos. However, the last five I did not much care for. While I see how John White wanted to incorporate Biblical principles and stories into his fantasy novels, it is a bit over-done, as is his use of fantasy creatures. Not so in the first book, though. This one actually is a lot of fun to read.
Matthew
Feb 01, 2016 Matthew rated it liked it
I read it because my brother liked it... Ehhh
Jennifer Zartman
Apr 03, 2013 Jennifer Zartman rated it it was amazing
The Archives of Anthropos are some of my favorite books for young people. Our family enjoyed all of them, and The Sword Bearer is my personal favorite. I love the character of Mab--his patience, his persistence, and his steadfastness when faced with temptation all inspire me and encourage me.
Bradley
Jun 21, 2012 Bradley rated it it was amazing
Great fantasy set of books for pre-teens and teens. Comparable to the Narnia series. The only one I didn't like as well was the last one. All are action packed as the kids in the story become transformed; their flaws changed through the tough circumstances they go through.
Jo
Jun 24, 2015 Jo rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Not bad, although I agree with others who have mentioned that the story seemed a bit stretched to fit with a Christian agenda (not that I don't think it's a very worthy agenda). It didn't sabotage the book completely, however, and I enjoyed it.
Nick
Apr 03, 2010 Nick rated it did not like it
It was after reading this book in high school, that I realized I could write stories that would be better than this. Even then, I felt it was a cheap, thin knock off of Tolkien. I never read another book in the series.
Debdanz
Apr 24, 2011 Debdanz rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
i need a shelve labeled "gave up on bc life is too short to stick it out." this would be on it; labeled a "narnia readalike" maybe i came to this book too late in life. but yuck!
Karen Fallot
Aug 04, 2011 Karen Fallot rated it really liked it
I believe this is a Christian allegorical series as God is referenced as "the Changer". Recommended for a mature tween or teen-adult.
Wendy Pimm
Sep 29, 2013 Wendy Pimm rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
My kids loved it. We read it as a bed time book and they love this series. We started with the Tower.
Gonna read them all.
Cathrine Bonham
Apr 27, 2009 Cathrine Bonham rated it it was amazing
This is the first in a very good series of books. Very reminisent of Narnia but with a much more obviouse biblical message.
Bonnijean Marley
My dd checked this out of the school library. Some very exciting parts. A few parts did lag, but overall a good read.
Six-Fingered Nigel
Apr 29, 2011 Six-Fingered Nigel rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed it. Started off a little slowly but after a few chapters picked up.
Elle
Jan 15, 2013 Elle rated it liked it
Shelves: read-my-library
Good book. A little hard for me to understand at times as I was 11 when I read it.
Gwen Burrow
Mar 31, 2014 Gwen Burrow rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
I read this before I knew what bad writing was. I learned quickly.
Stephanie Crockett
Nov 03, 2013 Stephanie Crockett rated it it was amazing
Perfectly amazing! Closely resembles Narnia :)
Josh Ewing
Josh Ewing rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Fiona
Fiona is currently reading it
Feb 07, 2016
Hannah Wilson
Hannah Wilson marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Emily Eyestone
Emily Eyestone rated it it was amazing
Chandra Fry
Chandra Fry rated it really liked it
Giles
Giles rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
  • The Magic Bicycle (Spirit Flyer, #1)
  • Bringer of Storms (Binding of the Blade #2)
  • The Lion Vrie
  • Tales of the Resistance (Tales of the Kingdom, #2)
  • The Red Keep: A Story of Burgundy in 1165
  • Flight Of The Eagles (Seven Sleepers, #1)
  • Heart of Courage (Viking Quest, #4)
  • A Knight of the White Cross
  • The Way of the Wilderking (The Wilderking Trilogy, #3)
  • The Sword and the Flame (The Dragon King, #3)
  • 絶対平和大作戦 1 (Zettai Heiwa Daisakusen, #1)

John White was an Evangelical Christian author, an associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Manitoba and a pastor of Church of the Way.
More about John White...