Start by marking “Saint Francis and the Wolf” as Want to Read:
Saint Francis and the Wolf

Saint Francis and the Wolf

Terrible wolf is terrorizing the town of Gubbia, and no one can stop him! First the townspeople send a brave knight. He never returns. Then they send an army of trained warriors. They get destroyed. Finally the townspeople send a great and mighty war machine, but even that can't stop the wolf. The villagers don't know what to do -- until Saint Francis visits the town and s ...more
Published September 27th 2005 by HarperCollins (first published September 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Saint Francis and the Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saint Francis and the Wolf

Cheryl
Jan 03, 2017 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Impulse grab because I'm still open to the idea that Egielski must have done something wonderful besides Hey, Al. And he did. The art in this fable is fantastic.

The story-telling is graceful and delightful, too. And funny.

I did wonder *why* the wolf was so fierce, and then so ready to listen to Francis' preaching, though, so I looked up the legend. Here's one version: http://tamingthewolf.com/saint-franci..., and another: http://www.guidetopsychology.com/gubb.... It seems as if Egielski both le
Arlene Allen
May 09, 2013 Arlene Allen rated it really liked it
A charming retelling of one of the most famous "miracles" of Saint Francis, his relationship with Brother Wolf. The wolf is very scary (I love the picture of the wolf using a board from a destroyed home as a toothpick!) and Saint Francis very gentle, especially with children. There is really a statue of Saint Francis and Brother Wolf, even more lovely than the one depicted in the book.
Carrie
Oct 07, 2016 Carrie rated it liked it
Great picture book my first grade religious ed. students enjoyed!
Abby
Aug 09, 2014 Abby rated it it was ok
I love the legend of St Francis and the wolf, but this adaptation is not as good as the other versions I have encountered. The illustrations are interesting, but they are a little violent and wolf is anthropomorphized in a strange way. In other words, this book might scare small children. I think you'd be better off reading the legend of the wolf here where it is a better story accompanied by some pretty great photo illustrations.
Kelsey
Sep 10, 2012 Kelsey added it
Because of my faith background, I thought this was a wonderful way to weave the story of a saint into a child's fiction story to introduce them to St. Francis. I think that having more of a fictional (rather than fact) based story allows children to connect with the characters of the story in more depth.
Malbadeen
Jul 16, 2007 Malbadeen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people that are desperatley searching for, not hideious books on semi-religious themes
Do you know how hard it is to find a kids book that deals with bible stories or religiousish stuff that is semi, sort of kind of quality...REALLY HARD! I like this one mostly for the illustrations (not too scary but kind of sort of scary) and the, be nice to every thing, don't resort to violence, try to get to know people message is good too.
Mbrooke
Mbrooke rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2012
Steve Morrison
Steve Morrison rated it really liked it
May 07, 2012
Philip
Philip rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2013
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2007
Anija
Anija rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2016
Cristina
Cristina rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2014
Katie Fitzgerald
Katie Fitzgerald rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2015
David
David rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2014
Keir Bridges
Keir Bridges rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2015
Solveig
Solveig rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2015
Bart Everson
Bart Everson rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2011
Edward Sullivan
Edward Sullivan rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2011
Mary Rose
Mary Rose rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2014
Virginia, Sal, & Hugo
Virginia, Sal, & Hugo rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2013
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2012
Katrina
Katrina rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2013
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2015
Donna Nix
Donna Nix rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2012
Declan
Declan rated it did not like it
Feb 16, 2011
Michael Fitzgerald
Michael Fitzgerald rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2015
Melanie Carver
Melanie Carver rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2008
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
May 14, 2013
Amanda Banks
Amanda Banks rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2015
House
House rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2016