The Last Anniversary

The Last Anniversary

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  3,687 ratings  ·  380 reviews
"'I'll tell you something, something important. Love is a decision. Not a feeling. That's what you young people don't realise. That's why you're always off divorcing each other. No offence, dear.' "

So decrees the formidable Connie Thrum of Scribbly Gum Island. She is the chief decision-maker of a rather unconventional family and her word is law, especially when it comes to...more
Published 2005 by Pan Books (UK)

Becky
I actually feel jealous of all the people who still have all of Liane Moriarty's books to read, when I'm going to have to wait for her next one to come out.

While this isn't my favorite of her books I did really like it and feel she is an incredibly talented author. Maybe her books won't win Pulitzers or whatever, but her characters have so much detail and depth that it is sheer pleasure to know them through the books.

Sophie broke up with Thomas a few years ago, right before he was about to prop...more
Stephanie
This review originally appeared at www.readinasinglesitting.com

Having read rather a good deal of chick lit this year, I’ve found that these novels tend to vary widely upon where they fall upon this rather broad genre. At one end are those novels that are a step or two away from traditional romances (with a few brand names and a bit of extra snark thrown in for good measure), while at the other are those that could fit quite snugly into the mainstream, or even literary fiction, shelves. These par...more
Stephanie
This book has all the wonderful things I've come to expect from Liane Moriarty's work: an enchanting cast of distinct characters, mild plot twists that nonetheless feel delicious and exciting, a steady thrum of tension throughout that drags me through the pages sometimes even against my will, a surprising and satisfying conclusion, and a fervent wish that the book were about 300 pages longer. Or 500.

Here's the interesting part: I didn't even like this one as much as the other two of hers I've re...more
Marianne
The Last Anniversary is the second novel by Australian author Liane Moriarty. The story starts with 39-year-old Sophie Honeywell finding out that she has inherited a house on Scribbly Gum Island on the Hawkesbury River. The house has been left to her by Connie Thrum, the Great Aunt of her ex-boyfriend, Thomas Gordon, and causes some commotion within the extended family on the island. Scribbly Gum Island is famous for the “Munro Baby Mystery”, a seventy-year-old unsolved crime involving a cake, a...more
Pirouette
I have just finished this book, and I think, not sure, that I liked it better than Three Wishes, but less than What Alice Forgot and The Husband's Secret. That seems to indicate that Liane Moriarty's books are getting better and better.

This one has some weaknesses. A bit of suspension of disbelief is necessary for everything surrounding the big mystery and people's reactions to it. Sophie was a bit of an ambiguous character for me. The author wanted us to relate to her, and at times it did not...more
Chris
After I went crazy about Liane Moriarty's "What Alice Forgot" last month, I ordered another of her books, "The Last Anniversary." What a disappointment! I will agree with the book jacket's assessment, "her characters are eccentric." To say the least. They're actually downright weird. And quite perverse, in some cases. The storyline completely collapses and toward the end of the book you feel very frustrated that you wasted the time to read it. Do NOT bother with this one. I may have overstated m...more
Dawn
Oct 14, 2008 Dawn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any chic lit fans
Shelves: chic-lit
I loved this book!!! I couldn't put it down!!! Far better than your typical "chic lit" book! One of the best books I've read in awhile.....you really grow attached to each one of the characters, and I thought I had the ending figured out, but I was surprised at the end! A book I will re-read in the future! Charming!
sabisteb
Am 15. Juli 1932 finden die beiden Teenager Connie und Rose Doughty das Haus ihrer Nachbarn Alice und Jack Munro verlassen vor. Das Wasser im Teekessel ist noch heiß, dem frisch gebackene Marmorkuchen auf dem Tisch fehlt nur noch die Glasur, und ein Säugling wartet darauf gefüttert zu werden. Wo sind die Eltern des Kindes geblieben? Was ist damals wirklich passiert?

Diese Frage um das Mysterium von Scribbly Gum Island beschäftigt Sophie seit ihrer Kindheit. Sie liebt das Rätsel um Alice und Jack...more
Heather
I loved this book! I related to so many of the characters in one way or another. The Munro baby mystery/tourist attraction was an amusing backdrop. There was a lot of relationship tension and drama, but I liked that most of the characters were really trying to do the right thing rather than just following their hearts without regard for others. They weren't perfect at it, but they tried. I was satisfied with how it all turned out in the end.
Stacey
If not for my curiosity over this novel's Munro Baby Mystery, I would surely have abandoned the book. I did not enjoy getting to know any of the characters, least of all Sophie, who kept me wondering exactly what anyone could see in her. Even the more endearing characters (Connie & Rose) are disappointing by the time it's all over.
Sally
I do like this author! This is a great story, with some lovely, likable characters. (FYI, there were a few prurient bits, the type of things that I appreciated NOT being in "What Alice Forgot".) The book is about a woman who ends up having a house left to her, a house on an island where a family has made a cottage industry out of a mysterious disappearance, turning the mystery into a tourist trap. The main character is a funny, sweet young woman who has to find her way around this new family, so...more
Nayanna
Just like every other Liane Moriarty book I was addicted till this ended. I wouldn't say it was as amazing as the other ones but pretty awesome nonetheless. I just love how she develops her characters.
Deb Cornell
This is my third read of Ms. Moriarity. Ms. Moriarity's stories evolve like an elaborate multi-course dinner. The diner recognizes the use of a familiar spice but in a wholly uncommon pairing --similarly Ms. Moriarity plays with the reader's presumptions to add undertones of mystery culminating in a dessert of plot twist. While her characters work together as an ensemble, each one is devised to withstand being the main course if necessary.

The parents of the Munro baby have disappeared and two y...more
Sharon
The Last Anniversary starts with 39-year-old Sophie Honeywell finding out that she has inherited a house on Scribbly Gum Island, Australia, from the great aunt of her ex-boyfriend, Thomas Gordon. The family is famous for the “Munro Baby Mystery”, a seventy-year-old unsolved crime involving missing adults and a newborn baby.

Sophie moves into her inherited house and becomes involved in the lives of its eccentric inhabitants. She loves her new life but is unsettled that she is in love with a marri...more
Victoria
Oh, this was a fun book! I didn't enjoy it quite as much as _Three Wishes_, but I certainly did have a good time reading it! I giggled out loud and even teared-up in a few places. My only real complaint was that Sophie's story was left a bit too open for my tastes... Still, I enjoyed the book and I will definitely be keeping an eye out for any future books by this talented writer. Moriarty has a real knack for creating likable characters and entertaining (if not entirely unpredictable) situation...more
Kenneth del Rosario
/ It was a bit of a gamble that I read this book, mainly because I have no idea who the author was. Plus I was already in love with Jane Green, so I wasn't sure if I could take on another chic lit author. But, yes, I enjoyed Liane very much. Her work is very witty, the story and subplots interesting and full of twists. I don't necessarily like some of the subplots, but I love the characters she has drawn for the book. Very relatable and likable. Definitely something I'd recommend to someone! :D
Debbie
Feb 04, 2014 Debbie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
Recommended to Debbie by: love Lianne Moriarty!
Well so far this author can do no wrong. I think What Alice Forgot is the best, but it seems to me this author ,who always uses a secret or a hidden person to promote a story, is funny creative and otherwise unexpected.Sophie is a lovable protagonist who cant help a blush so deep and biological that she gives her feelings away. She becomes part of a family who promotes the mystery of Scribbly Gum Island as its livelihood. This was a hoot and no anxiety has been provoked.
Laura Spinella
The Last Anniversary is a quirky energetic read with plenty of plot twists and eccentric characters. Moriarty is a deft storyteller with plenty to say, if not a tad too much at times. Set, for the most part, on Sribbly Gum Island, the Down Under island provides a singular setting for the tale of sisters Rose and Connie, who rear a child claimed to be the abandoned infant of Alice & Jack Munro, island renters during the Depression. This part of the story provides the mystery, and the fate of...more
Stephanie
Excellent story. Scribbly Gum Island Mystery- two sisters who discover a way to keep a small baby from social services in Australia.
Alice and Jack Munro leave/disappear from the island in the 1930's leaving baby Enigma or do they so goes the mystery. Connie and Rose rise the baby and make money off the island mystery until they are very rich. Years pass and Connie passes away and leaves her island house to Sophie. Sophie is not a member of the family only a friend of the family who enchanted Con...more
Linda Bouley
Every year there is an anniversary celebration that takes place on Scribbly Gum Island to commemorate the day that Connie & Rose Doughty found a tiny baby all alone in Jack and Alice Munro's house. The couple did not return for the child, nor were they ever found, thus beginning the Munro Baby Mystery. Rose and Connie took the child in and raised her, naming her Enigma. Over time the mystery became a lucrative family business where people came to the island to visit the house, preserved exac...more
Angela
I think I need to add Liane Moriarty to my "read everything by this author" list. Her novels manage to be touching, tragic, and laugh out loud funny all while telling a page turning story that keeps you engaged until the last page. I also appreciated the very raw and honest depiction of post-partum (post-natal in the book) depression experienced by one of the characters.
Kim
I just love this author!! I have thoroughly enjoyed each and every book Liane Moriarty has written. I love the way she develops the characters and there are always twists and turns that keep you guessing until the end. The characters are so real, and for the most part very likeable. In The Last Anniversary, we follow the lives of several characters who are related--how they are all related is a bit confusing for at first, but eventually you figure out the family tree. One of the main characters,...more
Lisa
What I really think is that it is impossible to top What Alice Forgot. I am not really sure that this one delivers a satisfactory conclusion, for when it ended I was like, really? We get to guess what happens to Sophie's love life? I could have done that and not read the book at all!!! I enjoyed it, but it might be a stretch at four stars.
Keshia Williams
Liane did it again with this book. This book was funny and very intriguing. As a reader I kept reading because I wanted to know the Munro Baby Mystery. This book was funny, tragic and wonderful all at the same time. I believe Liane has the ability to write about people we all know. Her characters leap off the page.
Mandy
I think it's safe to say that Liane Moriarty is a talented writer and that her work gets stronger with each tome.

Three Wishes (2004)
The Last Anniversary (2006)
What Alice Forgot (2010)
The Hypnotist's Love Story (2011)
The Husband's Secret (2013)

However, I blindly picked "The Last Anniversary" after being so delighted with "What Alice Forgot" and "The Husband's Secret." It didn't take long to realize this was one of the author's earlier works. That said, once I accepted that it was not going to ke...more
Emma
I absolutely loved this book with it's unique cast of characters and famous unsolved family mystery, all taking place on the magical Scribbly Gum Island (what a fabulous name!). I thought all the characters were likeable but very interesting, and I liked seeing the story from different perspectives. I would say I found Grace and Rose the most interesting, but Sophie was just so likeable, and her yearning for a family at 39 is something I think a lot of people can relate to. I understand that thi...more
Caitlinleah
this is an amazing book. such great characters tied together in such interesting ways. There was so much joy in it, it made all the dark stuff seem human instead of miserable. a happy ending for everyone, but not too neat, makes me want to read every Liane Moriarty there is.
Christa Sgobba
This was a very light read, but also a very enjoyable one. It's just the kind I was looking for--a page-turner that wasn't heavy but also wasn't just banal drivel.

I read a couple other Liane Moriarty books--some I really liked, one I had to stop reading partway through. But this one was very enjoyable. All the characters felt real, and the mystery was actually pretty good too. I thought I had it figured out, but it turned out I was just a bit off.

This was just a fun book to read in the summer....more
Julie
I really enjoy Liane Moriarty books. They usually have a likable woman protagonist, who has a dilemma on her hands. Lots of sub plots. Then she wraps up everything quite cleanly.

This book follows Sophie, who has inherited a house unexpectedly. As part of this, the woman who left her the house, says to keep her eye open for the perfect man for her. So, Sophie, moves to a small island and promptly falls for the wrong man.

In this book, Moriarty deftly handles postpartum depression. I haven't had...more
Sally
The story development was so wickedly slow that I thought my head would explode if I didn't figure out all the mysteries in this book...but in a good way!

I absolutely had to know what happened to Jack and Alice Monroe (and what the weirdness behind the other family member actions was all about), but I didn't dare skip ahead, because I didn't want to miss one single word.

Well played, Ms. Moriarty.

Also, while some of the characters were downright despicable, Sophie was such a gem that she somehow...more
  • The Girl Most Likely
  • The Alphabet Sisters
  • One More Sunrise
  • The Blue-Ribbon Jalapeno Society Jubilee (Cadillac, Texas, #1)
  • I Have a Bed Made of Buttermilk Pancakes
  • The Shortest Distance Between Two Women
  • The Affair (The Affair, #1)
  • Shattered Sky
  • Lucky Me: My Life With--and Without--My Mom, Shirley MacLaine
  • More Than You Know
  • The Granny
  • All She Ever Wanted
  • The Way Life Should Be
  • The Truth About You
  • The Second Chance Cafe (Hope Springs, #1)
  • Little Lies
  • The Mothers' Group
322069
Liane was born on a beautiful November day in 1966 in Sydney. A few hours after she was born, she smiled directly at her father through the nursery glass window, which is remarkable, seeing as most babies can’t even focus their eyes at that age.

Her first word was ‘glug’. This was faithfully recorded in the baby book kept by her mother. (As the eldest of six children, Liane was the only one to get...more
More about Liane Moriarty...
What Alice Forgot The Husband's Secret The Hypnotist's Love Story Three Wishes The Husband's Secret Free Preview