Start by marking “The Pritchett Century: A Selection of the Best by V. S. Pritchett” as Want to Read:
The Pritchett Century: A Selection of the Best by V. S. Pritchett

The Pritchett Century: A Selection of the Best by V. S. Pritchett

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  3 reviews
"If, as they say, I am a Man of Letters, I come, like my fellows, at the tail-end of a long and once esteemed tradition in English and American writing. We have no captive audience. We do not teach. We write to be readable and to engage the interest of what Virginia Woolf called 'the common reader.'"
In a life that spanned almost the entire course of the twentieth century--
Published December 22nd 1998 by Modern Library (first published November 11th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Pritchett Century, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pritchett Century

David
Oct 16, 2008 David marked it as own-but-not-yet-read
I bought this book from Amazon, which was a mistake. If I had had the opportunity to inspect it physically, I would have rejected it out of hand. Nothing to do with Sir Victor, but they have done something in this selection which I abhor, namely included excerpts of several of Pritchett's novels. I simply cannot understand the point of this, and it makes me terminally ill-disposed towards this volume.

If I want to read a novel, I procure a copy of the novel. This bastardization by excerpt has an
Maureen
A life of writing: every single day, from his early 20s on, VS Pritchett embodied it. Fiction, journalism, travel writing, memoirs. A genuine person of letters, he was knighted for his work; it makes me sad to think it all may not last.
Whit Hodges
didn't finish it. got it for christmas and i consider it a waste of time. he can write okay, but he says nothing, and it all sounds so regal and refined. it's a low 2 stars for him.
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Kt
Kt marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Carol Cowden
Carol Cowden marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Britt
Britt marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Jonathon
Jonathon marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Mary Ann
Mary Ann marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Lisa Guidarini
Lisa Guidarini marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
Wafaa Fouad
Wafaa Fouad marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2013
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2013
Diliana
Diliana marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2013
Orenda
Orenda marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2013
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2013
Colleen Mcwilliams
Colleen Mcwilliams marked it as to-read
May 16, 2013
Brian Cronin
Brian Cronin marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2013
Ana Gomes
Ana Gomes marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2013
Victor Sawdon Pritchett was born in Ipswich, Suffolk, the first of four children of Walter Sawdon Pritchett and Beatrice Helena (née Martin). His father, a London businessman in financial difficulties, had come to Ipswich to start a shop selling newspapers and stationery. The business was struggling and the couple were lodging over a toyshop at 41 St Nicholas Street where Pritchett was born on 16 ...more
More about V.S. Pritchett...
The Oxford Book of Short Stories Essential Stories Complete Collected Stories A Cab at the Door Midnight Oil