Start by marking “Writing Realistic Dialogue and Flash Fiction” as Want to Read:
Writing Realistic Dialogue and Flash Fiction

Writing Realistic Dialogue and Flash Fiction

Writing Realistic Dialogue and Flash Fiction explores why and how authentic, realistic dialogue works to engage the emotions of the reader and even catalogs the nuances of the sounds of individual letters and words and the effect of those nuances on the reader.
Published December 1st 2007 by Central Avenue Press (first published September 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Writing Realistic Dialogue and Flash Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Realistic Dialogue and Flash Fiction

Catrina Barton
Jul 20, 2012 Catrina Barton rated it it was ok
I think all of his books are great for beginning writers. Not much help to one who has been in the business as long as I have. He does offer some great tips for newbies though.
S.K.Fischer
May 17, 2015 S.K.Fischer rated it it was amazing
Interesting fact. I read this on my Kindle and I've realised that my reading pace is much faster on this medium than reading in hard print. But I would love to own a copy of this book that I could touch, underline, fold corners and mull over.It would live with my thesaurus and Elements of Style on the corner of my desk.

This is an absolute must for any new fiction writer. Stanbroughwrites fluently and concisely on the topics/problems that all new writers face (andI thought I was the only one).

Ch
Gregg Rowe
May 20, 2013 Gregg Rowe rated it it was amazing
Is your flash fiction stifled with hardly any dialogue?

Harvey shows you how to write dialogue that will push your plot forward, and you get to practice a lot too.

Even through dialogue, it will show who your character is, and he guarentees you can write a 99 word flash fiction with just dialogue, providing examples, including a clever little piece titled "At Confession", a brilliant 55-word conversational flash fiction.
John Lee
Jan 26, 2016 John Lee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This author writes the most concise books with great examples. I used a highlighter and pen and turned this thing into a tool and 4 years later I'm still jumping back to it occasionally.

Oh, and if you're not into flash fiction, don't worry; it's a small section in the book.

Excellent resource.
Jennifer Worrell
Jun 29, 2015 Jennifer Worrell rated it liked it
Here's the thing: it's not to say that this book doesn't offer good advice; some of it is. It's also fairly 101-type stuff. The thing that bothers me is that he uses mostly his own writing as examples of good dialogue, and stuff he's edited for others as examples of bad.
Allan Fisher
May 01, 2013 Allan Fisher rated it really liked it
Little gem of a book if you are interested in the nuances of dialogue... Some intriguing suggestions littered throughout... I will probably re-read soon...
Jennifer rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2010
Marissa
Marissa rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2014
Angie Fisher
Angie Fisher rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2009
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2011
Colee B
Colee B rated it it was ok
Aug 11, 2014
Will
Will rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2014
Clinton Blackmon
Clinton Blackmon rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2014
Úlfar
Úlfar rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2014
Yvonne Raphael
Yvonne Raphael rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Jo Jenner
Jo Jenner rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2014
Melanie Faith
Melanie Faith rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2012
StoneThread
StoneThread rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2012
Harvey Stanbrough
Aug 15, 2011 Harvey Stanbrough rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2013
Jamie Clancy
Jamie Clancy marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2010
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2010
Nikki Magennis
Nikki Magennis marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2011
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2013
Bellanotte
Bellanotte marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2012
Ethan
Ethan marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2012
Christina Marie
Christina Marie marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2012
Dawn Turner
Dawn Turner marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2012
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Rose
Rose added it
Feb 28, 2015
StoneThread
StoneThread rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
M T
M T marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Venisia
Venisia marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2015
VINAY CHHABRA
VINAY CHHABRA marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
Monica Whyte
Monica Whyte marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Kaylene
Kaylene marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Harvey Stanbrough
Aug 02, 2016 Harvey Stanbrough added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2016
Harvey Stanbrough was born in New Mexico, seasoned in Texas, and baked in Arizona. After having survived a 21-year civilian-appreciation course in the US Marine Corps, Harvey managed to sneak up on a bachelor’s degree at Eastern New Mexico University in Portales in 1996. Harvey has written and published nine nonfiction ebooks on writing, including Punctuation for Writers and Writing Realistic Dial ...more
More about Harvey Stanbrough...