Start by marking “Poop Culture: How America Is Shaped by Its Grossest National Product” as Want to Read:
Poop Culture: How America Is Shaped by Its Grossest National Product

Poop Culture: How America Is Shaped by Its Grossest National Product

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  69 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Is “The Origin of Feces” a Darwinian concern? Perhaps not, but it is the title to the preface of this tongue-in-cheek and unexpectedly revealing exploration of human behavior by the webmaster behind the popular PoopReport.com.

This book is not a history of poop, but a study of today. Its goal is to understand how poop affects us, how we view it, and why; to appreciate its i
Published May 1st 2007 by Feral House

To ask other readers questions about Poop Culture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poop Culture

Apocalypse Culture by Adam ParfreyDeath Scenes by Sean TejaratchiApocalypse Culture II by Adam ParfreyLove Sex Fear Death by Timothy WyllieLexicon Devil by Brendan Mullen
Feral House & Amok Books
76th out of 164 books — 45 voters
You Are What You Shite by Julian KeechPoop Culture by Dave PraegerA Year on the Bog by Andy McBeanEveryone Poops by Taro GomiWhat's Your Poo Telling You? by Josh Richman
The Origin of Feces
1st out of 12 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

SeriouslyJerome
Aug 23, 2008 SeriouslyJerome rated it really liked it
Who gave me this book?

Not just another poop humor book. In fact not a humor book at all. The first few chapters might produce giggles, but this really is about poop in our culture as the title suggests.

It was very informative, & interesting for this poop fascinated person. Especially the chapter on poop in our current culture & the future possibilities - like foam flush toilets that use half as much water, or sewage systems that compost that poop. I didn't know you could compost human p
Jordan
May 21, 2015 Jordan rated it really liked it
I make it a point to read anything published by Feral House. And this has taken me down some strange paths. This book takes on an indelicate subject and handles it with aplomb. Just the right balance of science, humor, and philosophy.
Mandy
Mar 01, 2011 Mandy rated it liked it
I was a little more than disappointed with this book. I don't know if it's because I thought it would be the best book about poop ever or if it just wasn't original enough. Honestly, I had been exposed to most of the information in my other readings. So, maybe this book would be better for a poop newbie or someone looking for a quick overview. It wasn't until the chapters on art and media that I even learned anything new. However, I did learn some interesting wiping facts. Praeger does do a good ...more
Ronna
Jan 15, 2015 Ronna rated it it was ok
Some parts were interesting in terms of socio-cultural/economic stuff. Some parts were just...well, you can imagine.
Kate
Aug 08, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Surprisingly entertaining
Bill
Nov 04, 2011 Bill rated it really liked it
It's hard to write anything about this book without devolving into poop puns, which may be a strong argument for Praeger's assertion that poop — the act and substance — is deeply symbolic in our culture.
I really enjoyed the history lessons, though thought some of the art analysis went on a bit long. But overall this was a fast and interesting read.

It's worth noting, or not, that I read this book over consecutive days entirely on the toilet.
Kathryn
Dec 24, 2007 Kathryn rated it liked it
Birthday gift from Anne and Jon. hey, they know their audience.

While I did enjoy the book, I found the last 1/3 to be repetitive... almost as if the author needed to really push to make an editors requirement of 200 pages. Still, informative at times (I never knew the mechanics of compost toilets...)and witty at others (e.g., the psychological profile of shameful versus shameless shitters). A decent read.
Jeroen Berndsen
Aug 13, 2012 Jeroen Berndsen rated it liked it
An often hilarious and sometimes insightfull documentation on the 'last taboo', poop. Not nearly as good as 'Kakafonie. Komrij's encyclopedie van de stront' and not nearly as scientific as Danny Lamarq's 'Het latrinaire gebeuren', but still a very good read for the interested person.
Ryan Daly
Mar 19, 2009 Ryan Daly rated it really liked it
Highly entertaining read .. Full of laugh-out-loud poop humor and a ton of history that you never knew you wanted to know .. From the origins of sanitation systems to poop references in pop culture. Poignant social commentary as well
Andrew
Jun 20, 2011 Andrew rated it liked it
Interesting read, a little too heavy on the Freud (buy you would expect that from a book focused on feces), but the social history of waste and humans relation to idea of contamination kept my interest.
Ania
Aug 15, 2010 Ania rated it it was amazing
Very interesting and informative book. A serious take on the history of plumbing and poo, and the way we've dealt with it throughout history. Funny too, but not childishly so.
Robin
Jan 24, 2011 Robin rated it it was amazing
Very clever, very educational, and very entertaining. If you can handle the topic, it's well worth the read.
CJ
Dec 30, 2009 CJ rated it it was amazing
incredibly interesting so far.
yes, it's about poop. get over it.
Brendan Mcmackin
fuuuuunnnnyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Leisuresuitlarry
Interesting but not as funny as I hoped it would bev
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Kristina Haycock
Kristina Haycock marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Sean Hoade
Sean Hoade marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
Shuhrat
Shuhrat marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Stephen Brooks
Stephen Brooks marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
David
David added it
Nov 28, 2015
Spencer
Spencer rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2015
Cindy Paiva
Cindy Paiva rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2015
Michael The
Michael The marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015