Start by marking “New Testament Deacon: The Church's Minister of Mercy” as Want to Read:
New Testament Deacon: The Church's Minister of Mercy

New Testament Deacon: The Church's Minister of Mercy

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  135 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
The author's goal is to help Christians understand the necessity for and vital importance of New Testament deacons to he local church so that the needy, poor, and suffering of our churches are cared for in a thoroughly Christian manner.
Published January 1st 1993 by Lewis & Roth Publishers (first published January 28th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about New Testament Deacon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Testament Deacon

Wallace
Dec 02, 2013 Wallace rated it it was amazing
I have read all of Alexander Strauch's books, and this one, which was first published in 1992 is a classic biblical treatment of the New testament deacon.

So succinct is this work that I read it in under 4 days, while on a break in London, England with family.

The first thing that impresses the attentive reader is Mr Strauch's commitment to 'Sola Scriptura', when he states on pages 8 and 9, "Indeed, the only diaconate worth discovering is the one found on the pages of the inspired New testament. N
Tom Bazan
Apr 14, 2012 Tom Bazan rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
The title pretty much tells what this book is about. It looks at the New Testament scriptures describing deacons in the church. In doing so, he divides the book into four parts: (1) dividing the work (between elders and deacons); (2) a church with two offices (elders and deacons); (3) qualifications for deacons; and (4) the importance of deacons.

In summary, the deacon's role is to be the church's minister of mercy. Mercy is compassion and a disposition to help another, but it requires an active
Seth Channell
Apr 09, 2013 Seth Channell rated it liked it
Clear, straightforward teaching on deacons. Agreed with his take on "one-woman man" qualification of deacons. However, I had trouble with his view that the women mentioned in 1 Timothy 3 are the wives of deacons. Also his take on the role of deacons was too restrictive. Otherwise a helpful and biblical explanation of deacons.
Greg Balzer
Jan 17, 2015 Greg Balzer rated it liked it
Mike E.
Nov 10, 2010 Mike E. rated it really liked it
Strauch is known for his book on eldership, not deacons. I am giving this book 4 stars because it says a lot in a few pages, it is tightly tethered to the NT text, it speaks boldly to an area that is overlooked in many churches--including churches that I have been a part of.

In this book Strauch calls for deacons to serve the physical needs of the congregation, to be formally examined/tested (I Tim 3:10), to complement the elders, to have qualified godly wives (I Tim 3:11). He understands Acts 6
Wayne
Apr 20, 2013 Wayne rated it really liked it
This is by far the best book I have ever read on Deacon's Ministry. The book itself is basically a exegesis on every passage in the Scriptures concerning the office of the Deacon. There are a couple places I disagree with the author (One, is he doesn't come straight out and prohibit the deacon from the use of alcohol, which I think is a Biblical position since all modern day wine falls under the category of "strong drink" which the scriptures unilaterally condemns.) However, minor disagreement i ...more
Kenny
Jun 16, 2014 Kenny rated it really liked it
I am currently going through church officer (deacon) training, and this book is required reading for the trainees.

There was nothing particularly earth shattering for me in this book as I have, in my adult life at least, always attended churches with a healthy diaconate (indeed, and a healthy relationship between shepherds and deacons). So I've had a series of good examples of properly functioning church leadership.

I did however find it helpful as it laid out Scriptural reasoning behind necessit
Tony Huy
Dec 20, 2014 Tony Huy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership, deacons
Great book on what deacons are, the essentials of their ministry, and what qualifies a man for deaconship. Like his book on elders, I found his arguments both persuasive and pastoral. Two issues he raised for me was (1) can women be deacons? (Strauch says no) (2) what are deacons roles (for Strauch, deacons are focused on mercy ministries)

Overall, a great book
Jamie
Mar 24, 2015 Jamie rated it really liked it
Hard to find a better book on the diaconate. Thorough on the qualifications. Felt reasons for his interpretation of 1 Timothy 3:11 were weak. Also question the limitation of deacons to simply mercy ministry rather than the overriding principle in Acts 6 of freeing up the elders to do elder work. But would definitely recommend this book.
David Morris
Jun 08, 2012 David Morris rated it liked it
Like everything I've read from Strauch, this book contains good biblical study with a clear presentation. The position he takes on deacons seems overly restrictive to me. He argues that deacons are "ministers of mercy" (a la the title), and seems to say that they should practically do only mercy kind of ministry. For instance, he doesn't want them to serve on building committees or do other physical labor for the church.

He takes Acts 6 as a strong prototype for deacons.

He takes 1 Tim. 3:11 as d
Natasha
Jun 11, 2012 Natasha rated it liked it
I liked this book, though I struggle a bit with Stauch's interpretation of the role of women as deacons. I don't care what title you give to a woman who is under church oversight and has a heart for ministry, mission, seeing other people meet Jesus, and coaching other female Christians. The fact is, women are functioning as deacons when they take on these roles and should be held to the scrutiny described in 1 Timothy. Just like you do not have to be a married man to serve as deacon, you shouldn ...more
CJ Bowen
Aug 22, 2012 CJ Bowen rated it liked it
Solid and helpful introduction to the biblical material relating to deacons. Deacons are servants, ministers of mercy, which distinguishes them from elders, who lead the church primarily through teaching. Deacons have authority and leadership in the church, which necessitates that they be examined and found to have moral character that matches that of an elder, but it is not required for the person or task of a deacon that they be able to teach. Deacons are not janitors or professional committee ...more
David Dent
Apr 09, 2015 David Dent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

The book is a faithful investigation on what a diaconate should be, based upon Scripture and not just opinions of men. It gave me some great insight and encouragement. I highly recommend it to any interested in the subject and especially those serving as deacons or elders in a church.
Dave Cronin
Nov 25, 2012 Dave Cronin rated it it was amazing
Great Book. Really helped me understand the role of deacons in the New Testament church. Deacons are not meant to be executives on a board or relegated to the church janitor. Instead, deacons are mean't to be servant leaders. Neither is the role of a deacon a stepping stone to becomeing a pastor, it is it's own independent church office that is a compliment to eldership. Deacons are the church's agents of mercy.
Jeff M.
May 25, 2008 Jeff M. rated it really liked it
Written by the author of Biblical Eldership, this is an excellent book outlining the role of the diaconate in the New Testament. Although the book stays very close to the scriptures, the author does take many opportunities to critique the misunderstandings of the role of the diaconate in today's evangelical churches. This book is a must-read for any deacon or anyone interested in the offices of the church.
Tony Beard
Nov 03, 2013 Tony Beard rated it really liked it
This book does an excellent job looking at the scriptures describing what a deacon is and what a deacon isn't. It's incredibly thorough and I recommend it to any church looking to define the roles of their deacons. The writing is kind of dry, which is why I couldn't give it a full five-star review. Not poorly written, but a little over halfway through I was starting to struggle to stick with it.
Josh Miller
Jul 01, 2013 Josh Miller rated it really liked it
Read along with Strauch's 'Biblical Eldership' and both books together have led me to be convinced that a change of church governance is greatly needed in our Southern Baptist congregation. I am now preaching through Elders and Deacons with the hope of establishing a plurality of Elders in the near future. These books have been very helpful in helping me think through these issues.
Glyn Williams
Jul 08, 2014 Glyn Williams rated it liked it
Though I disagree with Strauch on the issue relating to the wives of deacons, the rest of the book is pretty clear, straight-forward and accurate. The issue of deacons in the church is one that many do not take seriously enough. It is a role that is just as important as elders, a fact which Strauch puts across quite well.
Jay
Jul 23, 2013 Jay rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology, pastoral
Good overview. Defends (successfully I think) the view that Deacons are "Ministers of Mercy" and not just jack-of-all-trades (managing logistics, finances, building maintenance, church service production, etc.). I wish there were more illustrations of practical examples of what the Deacon's ministry does look like.
Sean Higgins
Nov 28, 2012 Sean Higgins rated it really liked it
Shelves: church
I changed my rating from three to four stars because, after discussing the book a couple nights ago, I realized how radical these basics actually are. My mindset has been shaped by this work on deacons as ministers of mercy, not just as a title for faithful Christians who do "stuff" for elders.
mpsiple
Aug 02, 2012 mpsiple rated it really liked it
Not flashy. A straightforward look at what the Bible requires of deacons. There's not a lot of practical advice on moving forward, but this was a complete paradigm shift for our deacons on how to think about the office. I would recommend it for any deacon training class.
Ben Duncan
Sep 01, 2013 Ben Duncan rated it liked it
Written primarily for a Baptist audience, this book spends just as much time discussing what a Deacon *is not* as it does telling what a Deacon *is.* If you need to convince people that Deacons are not Elders, this is the book for you.
Josh
Aug 19, 2015 Josh rated it liked it
Good book. Each chapter is faithfully drilled into and anchored in a text. I think Strauch limits the task of the deaconate just a bit too much, but only a bit.
Jason Allen
Jul 23, 2013 Jason Allen rated it it was amazing
Great book. Clear biblical exegesis on the office of deacons. I'm not sold on the men-only position Strauch takes, but the book is a solid read nonetheless.
David
Feb 05, 2010 David rated it really liked it
This book is a good summary of the biblical role of deacons in todays church. Nothing really mind blowing, but good and concise.
Mike
Dec 21, 2009 Mike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
Great book describing the Bible's view of the office of Deacon. Every pastor, elder, and deacon should read this book.
Steven Wedgeworth
Jun 15, 2011 Steven Wedgeworth rated it liked it
A decent nuts and bolts explanation of the deaconate. Nothing spectacular but easy to use in churches.
L. R. Bouligny Bouligny
Mar 13, 2010 L. R. Bouligny Bouligny rated it it was amazing
Very clear, concise, yet thorough. An easy read, profitable for understanding this biblical office.
Judson Marvel
Aug 14, 2009 Judson Marvel rated it really liked it
Good overview of the role, advocating for more than just a keeper of the building.
Doug Dale
Apr 01, 2011 Doug Dale rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Very helpful look at the biblical description of the role of the Deacon.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Evangelicalism Divided: A Record of Crucial Change in the Years 1950 to 2000
  • Believer's Baptism: Sign of the New Covenant in Christ
  • Family Shepherds: Calling and Equipping Men to Lead Their Homes
  • Getting the Message: A Plan for Interpreting and Applying the Bible

“We must understand that the local church isn’t a country club or a casual self-help group. It is God’s holy temple, a congregation of redeemed saints and priests who are consecrated to God. It is God’s lighthouse in a dark world. It is “the pillar and support of the truth.” 1 likes
“Hudson Taylor, founder of the China Inland Mission, once cautioned, “Do not be so busy with the work of Christ (or anything else) that you have no strength left for praying. True prayer requires strength.” 0 likes