Start by marking “Rise the Euphrates” as Want to Read:
Rise the Euphrates

Rise the Euphrates

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Intelligent and compassionate, this brilliant debut novel is at once unique and universal (Amy Tan). After witnessing the slaughter of her family and many of her people, a young Armenian woman emigrates to America, where she inadvertently infuses her only daughter with a crippling legacy of anger, shame, and a survivor's guilt.
Published March 29th 1994 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Rise the Euphrates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rise the Euphrates

Rise the Euphrates by Carol EdgarianMorir en Marash by Eduardo BedrossianDe lágrimas y sonrisas by Eduardo BedrossianThe Knock at the Door by Margaret Ajemian Ahnert
Books Set in Armenia
1st out of 4 books — 3 voters
Junction, Utah by Rebecca   LawtonSnow Falling on Cedars by David GutersonLe Divorce by Diane JohnsonA Deconstructed Heart by Shaheen Ashraf-AhmedNampally Road by Meena Alexander
Culture Clash
34th out of 56 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Sue
Excellent story: historically informative, although it's told from a modern day perspective; well-developed characters; excellent pace!

Had I not read this book, the Turkish massacre of the Armenians in 1915 would have been just another phrase passing by my eyes in various things I read. Now, it will never be that again. I will stop and mourn for those who died and those who lost families, just as I mourn for many with tragic, unexplainable, unacceptable losses.

In addition to the greater depth o
Jane Lancellotti
I read a lot, and this is one of my favorite novels. It is one of the great pleasures of life -- a book with the kind of depth that catches your attention and won't let go. What blew me away were Edgarian's artful turns from the story of genocide to the story of a mother and daughter whose love is suffused with the shame of all that has come before. I wasn't looking for a history lesson, and Rise the Euphrates transcends historical events into a timeless rendering of the ways in which the human ...more
Sara
I lived for a while in Turkey, and am very aware of how the Turks view the Armenian "situation" as something that never happened. I have heard it from both sides, and it's hard to see how thinking people can ignore something that is so clearly a part of history. The story was a tad self-absorbed, but an interesting exploration of guilt passed from one generation to the next. Like any holocaust story, there is the insistence that we not forget -- and we shouldn't -- but neither should we be requi ...more
Karen Merrifield
Good book about Armenian genocide which is not written about as much as the Holocaust, to my awareness. I liked this book better than Edgarian's newest book because in this one the characters were really fleshed it---felt like I knew them.
Alesa
I was eager to read this book, because it was (kind of) about the Armenian genocide. I hoped it would be as substantial as The Sandcastle Girls and The Gendarme, both of which addressed a similar topic, but were also very strong novels as literature, which excellent character development, important human insights, and good plotting to boot.

Rise the Euphrates, however, was a disappointment. Early on, when the author used the verb "lurched" twice in just three pages, I decided to give her a break
Pat
Ethnic coming of age story. Main character is Seta.
First half sounded exactly like Meriden. Takes place in Memorial, Ct.
Grandmother escapes Turkish massacre of Armenians and comes to U.S.
Marries. Her husband works in ball bearing factory.
Relationship between women/mother & child intense.
Really takes place in Newington.
Impressive, fascinating.
Monique
"Rise the Euphrates" was a hard book to read. Genocide is a difficult subject and the grandmother in the story was a frustrating character. I liked the middle and end of the book (told from the daughter and granddaughter's perspectives) much more than the first part which was told by the grandmother. I think Carol Edgarian is an excellent author and she does a very good job with a tough subject: How do subsequent generations deal with the horrific effects of genocide (in this case the Turks murd ...more
Robyn
I knew very little about the massacre of Armenians by the Turks, the central theme in this book. So I greatly appreciated getting an in-depth perspective on this historical event.

My favorite part of the book was the focus on growing up in the 1970's and the pressure to fit in. I particularly loved the focus on how we expect mothers to be perfect, but they are not. They are just people too.

I think the book struggled to integrate the two themes - the history of the Armenians and the coming-of-age
Lainie
I really loved this book. There were aspects that mirrored my own and my sisters' 1960s third-generation Armenian-American suburban lives so closely I wondered if Edgarian had been hiding in the closet of my (shared) bedroom. I own two copies of this in hardbound: one to lend out and one to cherish.

I drove 2 hours to see/hear Edgarian read from the novel at a chain bookstore in Portland, OR. She seemed a little distant from the roomful of Armenians but then a book tour can really wipe you out.

He
Lauri Leone
My favorite book of all time.
Kathy
This was a really interesting and intriguing book. I must admit, though, that I liked it much more at the beginning and middle than I did at the end. Not a massive surprise or anything, I just didn't like where the author took it a bit more esoteric at the end. I loved the characters and the Armenian culture portrayed in the book. Edgarian has a strong writing style and a great story.
Beth
From my Summer Reading List blog post (May, 2012)
Carol Edgarian – Rise the Euphrates: Three generations of women descended from a survivor of the 1915 Turkish massacre of Armenians. A perfect capsule of immigrant experience and a beautiful treatment of questions of family, identity, and the way history lives within us.
Scott Burton
Well written. Insightful. Good character development. Tells the story of how the Armenian Genocide of the early 1900's twisted those who survived in ways that impacted their children and their children's children. Universally dark. There is not a lite happy moment in the entire book. But I am glad I read it.
Karen
Theme: the connections and threads that bond the generations, relationships among mothers, daughters, and grandmothers. The characters are of Armenian descent and they are haunted by a past of loss, death and destruction.
samantha
Apr 08, 2007 samantha rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Armenians, lovers of the ethnic culture clash saga
A beautiful book. Embraces the generational gap that is so unyielding in diaspora communities. Seta Loon is divided and whole; she is and she isn't. Full of enough hybridity to keep any reader satisfied.
Jessica Reidy
Powerful and disturbing. A subject that is unfortunately still glazed over.
Pavarti Tyler
Beautiful Book about second generation American-Armenians.
Bree
Apr 26, 2007 Bree marked it as to-read
This is on the after-honors queue too.
April
Jul 18, 2008 April marked it as to-read
Librarian-recommended.
Dawn MacKeen
Dawn MacKeen marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Katbyrdie
Katbyrdie marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Addicted to Books
Addicted to Books marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Charlie
Charlie marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Zabelle
  • Passage to Ararat
  • The Forty Days of Musa Dagh
  • A Shameful Act: The Armenian Genocide and the Question of Turkish Responsibility
  • Operation Nemesis: The Assassination Plot that Avenged the Armenian Genocide
  • Armenian Golgotha
  • Black Dog of Fate: An American Son Uncovers His Armenian Past
  • Skylark Farm
  • Earthsong (Native Tongue, #3)
  • Three Apples Fell From Heaven
  • A Thousand Sighs, A Thousand Revolts: Journeys in Kurdistan
  • The Knock at the Door: A Journey Through the Darkness of the Armenian Genocide
  • The Roving Tree
  • Blue Rodeo
  • Not Even My Name: A True Story
  • The Gendarme
  • An Armenian Sketchbook
  • My Grandmother: A Memoir
Carol Edgarian is an author, editor, and publisher. Her novels include Three Stages of Amazement (Scribner, March 2011) and the best-selling Rise the Euphrates, hailed by the Washington Post as "a book whose generosity of spirit, intelligence, humanity, and finally ambition are what literature ought to be and rarely is today." Her articles and essays have appeared in many national magazines, and s ...more
More about Carol Edgarian...
Three Stages of Amazement Rise the Euphrates: 20th Anniversary Edition with an Introduction by the Author The Writer's Life: Intimate Thoughts on Work, Love, Inspiration, and Fame from the Diaries of the W orld's Great Writers Narrative Magazine Winter Issue 2011 (Volume 12) "18 Lies and 3 Truths" Great American Fiction and Non-Fiction: The 2007 StoryQuarterly Annual