Curses! (Gideon Oliver, #5)

Curses! (Gideon Oliver #5)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  481 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Mayan ruins in the Yucatan...a secret room in a tomb...an ancient skeleton. To Gideon Oliver, anthropologist, this archaeological find is paradise on earth. He and his wife, Julie, have joined his old mentor, Abe Goldstein, at Tlaloc, Mexico, to make sure there are no dirty doings at the dig. Five years before scandal rocked the site when a colleageue ran off with a pricel...more
Published April 8th 1993 by Warner Books (NY) (first published January 1st 1989)

Number the Stars by Lois LowryThe Pillars of the Earth by Ken FollettA Time to Kill by John GrishamThe Remains of the Day by Kazuo IshiguroThe Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
Best Books of 1989
87th out of 158 books — 99 voters
Déjà Dead by Kathy ReichsThe Bone Collector by Jeffery DeaverPostmortem by Patricia CornwellBare Bones by Kathy ReichsThe Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen
Forensic Fiction
74th out of 83 books — 81 voters

More lists with this book...

Matt
Elkins takes the readers on yet another international adventure with Dr. Gideon, this time down to Mexico. When invited to work on a dig by his long-time mentor, Gideon and his wife rush down to Mexico to work on excavating the ruins of a temple and its inhabitants. Mystery surrounds the site, as one of the previous workers is said to have stolen an important codex and simply disappeared years before. When Gideon is attacked and a letter warning him to leave does not do the trick, the 'gods' beg...more
Lora
Back to the Skeleton Doctor we go. This one follows Gideon and his wife to the Yucatan area where Gideon's mentor is running a dig. This site was originally worked five years earlier but closed down because a valuable artifact was stolen by one of the archaeologists.

Soon after Gideon arrives, an ancient curse is deciphered which threatens anyone working in the area, and things begin to happen that seem to fulfill the curse. It's not until someone is murdered that the pieces of the puzzle begin t...more
Kris
I enjoy Aaron Elkins books like I enjoy Diet Coke, I don't expect it to nuture my body or soul but I love every swallow of it anyway. This book was no different, the mystery wasn't tremendously mysterious but the ups and downs of getting to the conclusion made me turn pages as fast as I could. I remember Agatha Christie's Miss Marple say once that it was the stupid killers that got caught and this book proves that. All that work and mayhem for a piece of highly circumstantial evidence that any d...more
Linda  Branham Greenwell
A quick easy read - I loved it!
It is a mystery about Mayan curses :) cool
The main character, Giddeon, is a skeleton expert and is called in to an excavation site to help with an ancient skeleton. But - it seems that he was at that site several years proviously when a Myaan codex wwas discovered - and stolen. The old mystery comes together with the current excavation and Mayan curses start coming true !
Rachel
Gideon Oliver gets invited back to a dig on the Yucatan Peninsula that he was involved with 5 years before. The dig supervisor at the time ran off with a priceless Mayan codex and the dig was shut down. Now Gideon's friend Abe Lewis is in charge on the dig when a Mayan curse is found and it seems to be coming true. Not as much forensic anthropology as some books in the series but still a lot of fun.
George
#5 in the anthropology professor and recognized bones specialist Gideon Oliver mystery series. Oliver is asked to return to a Maya excavation in Yucatan that he was involved with 5 years earlier and had been shut down because of a valuable thief. He and others at the site become involved with curses and other life threatening events as they continue the site excavation.
Nicole
I understand the attraction of Mexico when living in the perpetual drip of the Northwest. I might be a little less hardy when it comes to surviving the many traumas Oliver goes through in this Yucatan Tlaloc dig. I'd be happier in the hotel courtyard with Julie. But this tale makes a good read while its raining.
Dorothy
I read this on my vacation to Cancun! How perfect. Some of the action takes place at Chichen Itza and having seen the ruins for the first time made the book come to life for me. I certainly enjoyed the solution of the mystery and did not catch on until it was fully explained. Satisfying.
Larry Piper
My spouse gave me this book to read so as to prepare me for our trip to Chichén Itzá. I had read it before. It's an engaging book and has some interesting background on the Maya and the Chichén Itzá site, which for the most part, seems to be relatively accurate.
Shannon
Having studies archaeology and a little physical anthropology, I found these books very fascinating. Great locales, lots of easy to understand physical science and great characters. A good series.
Spotsalots
Dec 06, 2011 Spotsalots added it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
This was a fun if undemanding book to reread. Given that between readings I had actually visited the Yucatan and explored some Mayan ruins, I visualized the setting more precisely.
Debra S
Another enjoyable episode in the life of the Skeleton Doctor. This one takes place on the Yucatan Peninsula. Quick read, good escapist story.
Valerie
I subbed the forensics class yesterday. I should bring in more books by Elkins and Reichs for the students, it might enthuse them.
Penny
Exciting and educational like all books in the series. This one has a bit of humor too; the reading of the curse made me laugh out loud.
Chris
I really loved this book. A little different than the rest, not as many bodies to look at.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I liked the detective in this story, and wanted to read more by Elkins, but never did. Some day...
Linnea
Elkins' mysteries are clever and enjoyable with interesting settings.
Monica
Quick read, mystery taking place in Yucatan at a dig.
Betty
Gideon Oliver in Yucatan at an archaeological dig.
Ellie Oberth
I love all the Aaron Elkins books.
Stephveggie
Stephveggie marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Gloria
Gloria added it
Mar 29, 2014
Paul Morton
Paul Morton marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
  • The Chinese Alchemist (Lara McClintoch, #11)
  • Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5)
  • The Shaman Laughs (Charlie Moon, #2)
  • The Lost Bird (Wind River Reservation, #5)
  • Click Here For Murder (Turing Hopper, #2)
  • Relics (Faye Longchamp, #2)
  • Elizabeth Peters Presents Malice Domestic (Malice Domestic, #1)
  • A Conventional Corpse (Claire Malloy, #13)
  • Wolf in the Shadows (Sharon McCone, #14)
  • Lavender Lies (China Bayles, #8)
  • Paying the Piper (Elizabeth MacPherson, #4)
  • Killing Grounds (Kate Shugak, #8)
Aaron J. Elkins AKA Aaron Elkins (born Brooklyn July 24, 1935) is an American mystery writer. He is best known for his series of novels featuring forensic anthropologist Gideon Oliver—the 'skeleton detective'. The fourth Oliver book, Old Bones, received the 1988 Edgar Award for Best Novel. As Oliver is a world-renowned authority, he travels around the world and each book is set in a different and...more
More about Aaron Elkins...
Fellowship of Fear (Gideon Oliver, #1) Old Bones (Gideon Oliver, #4) The Dark Place (Gideon Oliver, #2) Murder in the Queen's Armes (Gideon Oliver, #3) Skeleton Dance (Gideon Oliver, #10)