Start by marking “Curses! (Gideon Oliver, #5)” as Want to Read:
Curses! (Gideon Oliver, #5)

Curses! (Gideon Oliver #5)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  685 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Mayan ruins in the Yucatan...a secret room in a ancient skeleton. To Gideon Oliver, anthropologist, this archaeological find is paradise on earth. He and his wife, Julie, have joined his old mentor, Abe Goldstein, at Tlaloc, Mexico, to make sure there are no dirty doings at the dig. Five years before scandal rocked the site when a colleageue ran off with a pricel ...more
Published April 8th 1993 by Warner Books (NY) (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Curses!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curses!

Curses! by Aaron Elkins.

Gideon Oliver receives a call from his old mentor, Abe Goldstein. Abe is in the Yucatan Peninsula at an archeological site they had unearthed together in 1982. It seems Abe and his team of Mayans have uncovered a skeleton at Tlaloc. Gideon's assistance is urgently required for identification of that skeleton by Abe.
Gideon and Julie are on the first plane out of Washington State headed to the Yucatan and on to their new adventure.

This story ties in with a former adventure
Elkins takes the readers on yet another international adventure with Dr. Gideon, this time down to Mexico. When invited to work on a dig by his long-time mentor, Gideon and his wife rush down to Mexico to work on excavating the ruins of a temple and its inhabitants. Mystery surrounds the site, as one of the previous workers is said to have stolen an important codex and simply disappeared years before. When Gideon is attacked and a letter warning him to leave does not do the trick, the 'gods' beg ...more
Enjoyed it; am reading the series in order. The section towards the end about where Gideon went into the workroom where each anthropologist had a cubby hole and what he found in his cubby I thought a bit drawn out and fount it unbelievable about how such a smart, knowledgeable man, experienced in whatever the "dig" environment could happen, could be so blind to what was happening. Gideon seemed foolish to me as he had many opportunities to change things during that drawn out scene...Otherwise I ...more
Back to the Skeleton Doctor we go. This one follows Gideon and his wife to the Yucatan area where Gideon's mentor is running a dig. This site was originally worked five years earlier but closed down because a valuable artifact was stolen by one of the archaeologists.

Soon after Gideon arrives, an ancient curse is deciphered which threatens anyone working in the area, and things begin to happen that seem to fulfill the curse. It's not until someone is murdered that the pieces of the puzzle begin t
I found this to be an easy read. The Mayan mythology was nicely incorporated into this murder mystery. I am a fan of the skeleton detective although there wasnt as mush focus on his skeleton skills in this book as others it was still enjoyable.
Jan 03, 2015 Pat rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Gideon Oliver, archaeologist, goes into field in Yucatan Peninsula to reopen a dig.
Not bad.
Ancient Mayan curse taking place.
I enjoy Aaron Elkins books like I enjoy Diet Coke, I don't expect it to nuture my body or soul but I love every swallow of it anyway. This book was no different, the mystery wasn't tremendously mysterious but the ups and downs of getting to the conclusion made me turn pages as fast as I could. I remember Agatha Christie's Miss Marple say once that it was the stupid killers that got caught and this book proves that. All that work and mayhem for a piece of highly circumstantial evidence that any d ...more
Linda  Branham Greenwell
A quick easy read - I loved it!
It is a mystery about Mayan curses :) cool
The main character, Giddeon, is a skeleton expert and is called in to an excavation site to help with an ancient skeleton. But - it seems that he was at that site several years proviously when a Myaan codex wwas discovered - and stolen. The old mystery comes together with the current excavation and Mayan curses start coming true !
Gideon Oliver gets invited back to a dig on the Yucatan Peninsula that he was involved with 5 years before. The dig supervisor at the time ran off with a priceless Mayan codex and the dig was shut down. Now Gideon's friend Abe Lewis is in charge on the dig when a Mayan curse is found and it seems to be coming true. Not as much forensic anthropology as some books in the series but still a lot of fun.
#5 in the anthropology professor and recognized bones specialist Gideon Oliver mystery series. Oliver is asked to return to a Maya excavation in Yucatan that he was involved with 5 years earlier and had been shut down because of a valuable thief. He and others at the site become involved with curses and other life threatening events as they continue the site excavation.
Jul 25, 2015 Joni rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joni by: amazon
Shelves: crime, series
Very much enjoyed the mystery, scenery and odd people in this one.

Loved that I had in fact not figued out who did it.
I understand the attraction of Mexico when living in the perpetual drip of the Northwest. I might be a little less hardy when it comes to surviving the many traumas Oliver goes through in this Yucatan Tlaloc dig. I'd be happier in the hotel courtyard with Julie. But this tale makes a good read while its raining.
I read this on my vacation to Cancun! How perfect. Some of the action takes place at Chichen Itza and having seen the ruins for the first time made the book come to life for me. I certainly enjoyed the solution of the mystery and did not catch on until it was fully explained. Satisfying.
Larry Piper
My spouse gave me this book to read so as to prepare me for our trip to Chichén Itzá. I had read it before. It's an engaging book and has some interesting background on the Maya and the Chichén Itzá site, which for the most part, seems to be relatively accurate.
Having studies archaeology and a little physical anthropology, I found these books very fascinating. Great locales, lots of easy to understand physical science and great characters. A good series.
Dec 06, 2011 Spotsalots added it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
This was a fun if undemanding book to reread. Given that between readings I had actually visited the Yucatan and explored some Mayan ruins, I visualized the setting more precisely.
Debra S
Another enjoyable episode in the life of the Skeleton Doctor. This one takes place on the Yucatan Peninsula. Quick read, good escapist story.
I subbed the forensics class yesterday. I should bring in more books by Elkins and Reichs for the students, it might enthuse them.
Exciting and educational like all books in the series. This one has a bit of humor too; the reading of the curse made me laugh out loud.
I really loved this book. A little different than the rest, not as many bodies to look at.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I liked the detective in this story, and wanted to read more by Elkins, but never did. Some day...
Elkins' mysteries are clever and enjoyable with interesting settings.
Quick read, mystery taking place in Yucatan at a dig.
Gideon Oliver in Yucatan at an archaeological dig.
Ellie Oberth
I love all the Aaron Elkins books.
Esther marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
  • A Wicked Slice (Lee Ofsted, #1)
  • The Chinese Alchemist (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #11)
  • The Night Visitor (Charlie Moon, #5)
  • Echoes
  • Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5)
  • The Lost Bird (Wind River Reservation, #5)
  • Click Here For Murder (Turing Hopper, #2)
  • Strangers (Faye Longchamp, #6)
  • Dead Write (Forensic Handwriting Mystery, #3)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (A Shannon Delaney Paranormal Mystery #1)
  • Death of a Rug Lord (Den of Antiquity, #14)
  • The God Machine
Aaron J. Elkins AKA Aaron Elkins (born Brooklyn July 24, 1935) is an American mystery writer. He is best known for his series of novels featuring forensic anthropologist Gideon Oliver—the 'skeleton detective'. The fourth Oliver book, Old Bones, received the 1988 Edgar Award for Best Novel. As Oliver is a world-renowned authority, he travels around the world and each book is set in a different and ...more
More about Aaron Elkins...

Gideon Oliver (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Fellowship of Fear (Gideon Oliver, #1)
  • The Dark Place (Gideon Oliver, #2)
  • Murder in the Queen's Armes (Gideon Oliver, #3)
  • Old Bones (Gideon Oliver, #4)
  • Icy Clutches (Gideon Oliver, #6)
  • Make No Bones (Gideon Oliver, #7)
  • Dead Men's Hearts (Gideon Oliver, #8)
  • Twenty Blue Devils (Gideon Oliver, #9)
  • Skeleton Dance (Gideon Oliver, #10)
  • Good Blood (Gideon Oliver, #11)