Start by marking “Jane Brody's Guide to the Great Beyond: A Practical Primer to Help You and Your Loved Ones Prepare Medically, Legally, and Emotionally for the End of Life” as Want to Read:

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  50 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
From the beloved New York Times columnist, trusted authority on health, and bestselling author comes this complete guide to everything you need to know–emotionally, spiritually, and practically–to prepare for the end of life.

An invaluable road map to putting your affairs in order–or helping your loved ones do the same–this comprehensive book will answer every question you
Published February 17th 2009 by Random House (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Jane Brody's Guide to the Great Beyond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane Brody's Guide to the Great Beyond

Kay Carman
Feb 23, 2016 Kay Carman rated it liked it
Shelves: death
Good advice on preparing for end-of-life issues including living well to the end, hospice and palliative care, and what to say to someone who is approaching the end of life. Most everyone who knows I've been reading this book finds it morbid, or at the very least, curious, but I'm not a person who likes surprises. I found it interesting, informative, hopeful in allowing me to prepare for my own death - 15-20 years in the future, please! - and inspires me to get a durable power of attorney, livin ...more
Pat
Mar 21, 2016 Pat rated it really liked it
The always reliable Miss Brody strikes again. Very excellent guide to death and dying, which seems to be a taboo subject in some quarters. She talked about living wills, advance directives, palliative care, hospice, etc. and answered many of my questions. I bookmarked many of the websites she recommended. Read this one!
Kathy
Dec 27, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Some good tips for before the end of life, making decisions about dying, what the last days can look like, and more. It didn't have exactly what I was looking for, but was useful. A good browse.
Franny
Jan 16, 2016 Franny rated it liked it
This is a useful book - both in terms of planning your own end-of-life issues and for advice in caring for a loved one.
Kathy Stone
Mar 05, 2012 Kathy Stone rated it liked it
Shelves: from-the-library
Wow! I picked this book up solely because of its placement on the library shelf. I learned a lot about dying and preparing myself for the inevitable. There are many things one can do to make it easier on family when one is getting ready to pass into the next life. Give possessions away first. Write out a living will. Donate organs. Tragic deaths can and do happen. Get an autopsy.
Nancy
Jul 17, 2009 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource. Tremendous help to our family after my mother was diagnosed with terminal ovarian cancer and throughout her transition. Has the best form for end-of-life medical decisions (including the specificity necessary for effective DNR conditions) that I've ever run across, too.
Nancy
Mar 19, 2009 Nancy rated it really liked it
I wish this book had been around before my parents died. I also found it very helpful for me in planning/creating documents I need to have. And yesterday's death of Natasha Richardson reinforced the need to have end-of-life documents ready.
Debra
Sep 24, 2012 Debra rated it it was amazing
The financial advisory/author takles issues we'll all have to face someday. A great overview of many end-of-life topics with terrific suggested readings at the end of each chapter. I highly recommend this title.
Jen
Jan 16, 2012 Jen rated it it was ok
A good reference book, but I wouldn't have picked this to read if I didn't have to for a class.
Elaine
Jun 04, 2009 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Everyone should probably read this book. It's not
something only for seniors!
Ellen
Mar 31, 2016 Ellen rated it liked it
some good tips for preparing for end of life for parents and/or self
Victoria
Mar 13, 2013 Victoria rated it it was amazing
Recommend.
I even bought a copy!
Roselee Blooston
Roselee Blooston rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
Jillian Brwn
Jillian Brwn is currently reading it
Jun 11, 2016
Ro
Ro marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Janice Doyama
Janice Doyama marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Corinne
Corinne marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Melinda Gooden
Melinda Gooden marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Joe Capko
Joe Capko rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Cecil Miller
Cecil Miller rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2015
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Miloslav Štěpán
Miloslav Štěpán marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Deidre
Deidre rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2015
Seph
Seph rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jane Ellen Brody writes a weekly column on personal health for the New York Times.
More about Jane E. Brody...