Start by marking “Selected Short Stories (Dual-Language)” as Want to Read:
Selected Short Stories (Dual-Language)

Selected Short Stories (Dual-Language)

This convenient volume includes 6 of the great French writer's most highly regarded short stories, including: "An Episode During the Terror," "A Passion in the Desert," "The Revolutionary Conscript," "The Forsaken Woman," "The Unknown Masterpiece," 2 more. Excellent new English translations on facing pages. Introduction. Footnotes.
Published July 2nd 1999 by Dover Publications (first published 1836)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Short Stories

--Pierre Grassou

Chronology
Further Reading
Sally Tarbox
Feb 16, 2012 Sally Tarbox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Contains El Verdugo; Domestic Peace; A Study in Feminine Psychology; An Incident in the Reign of Terror; The Conscript; The Red Inn; The Purse; La Grande Breteche; A Tragedy by the Sea; the Atheist's Mass; Facino Cane and Pierre Grassou.

Reign of Terror has to be among the best; Balzac transports the reader to the snowy and deserted streets of Paris in 1793 where a nervous old woman fears she is being followed ;as a possible former aristocrat her life would be in danger.

A Tragedy by the sea is a
Dagny
A mix of short stories, including some of the best. I enjoy Sylvia Raphael's translations.
Alina D.
May 09, 2013 Alina D. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are not among my favorites, but there are some good ones within. In particular I enjoyed "The Atheist's Mass".
Gregory Day
The Red Inn and An Incident in the Reign of Terror will stay with me forever.
Mshelton50
Feb 13, 2017 Mshelton50 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spectacular! I can't remember when I've enjoyed a collection of short stories so much. In these tales, Balzac deals with Parisian high society (e.g., "Domestic Peace"), as well as grinding provincial poverty ("A Tragedy by the Sea"). It may take a reader a minute or two to get into a story, but once in, they'll be hooked. I was moved to tears by "The Atheist's Mass" and "Facino Cane." But Balzac had me laughing out loud in "Pierre Grassou." Honestly, I cannot recommend this little volume highly ...more
Scott Pierce
One excerpt to draw you in: " writing about Facino Cane, the blind clarinet player from Venice: "Not one of the violent passions which can lead a man to good as well as to evil, make him a criminal or a hero, was absent from that nobly formed, sallow Italian face."
Rob
Jan 05, 2017 Rob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have not read Balzac's short stories .. then treat yourself!
Vishal
Apr 10, 2015 Vishal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Natasha
Jan 26, 2009 Natasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i love balzac. nothing short of genius.
my favorite stories are The Purse, Tragedy by the Sea, and The Atheist's Mass,

p75: "There is a kind of poverty which the poor can recognize instinctively."

p73: "Boldly she walked through the deserted streets, as if her age were a talisman which was bound to preserve her from any misfortune."

p109: "...gastronomic felicities..."

Brian Palmer
Nov 25, 2014 Brian Palmer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
Some of the stories in this are quite haunting, but most of them left me somewhat cold ... the stylistic peculiarities of the writing drowning out the story beneath. I particularly recommend An Incident in the Reign of Terror.
Derek
Jan 16, 2013 Derek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Pierre Grassou" was an amusingly accurate on the condition of museums lowered standards and the behavior of established artists, aspiring artists, and art critics.
Dan Murphy
Dec 26, 2010 Dan Murphy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
As far as short stories go, these are not among my favorites, but there are some good ones within. In particular I enjoyed "The Atheist's Mass".
Waheed
Mar 27, 2007 Waheed added it
Recommends it for: only sensible readers
This book narrates about an important aspect of temporal and spiritual history of ealy medieval days of Islamic Iran, when a group of the people liked reasoning and other wanted to impose the ideas.
Nicholas Siebers
Hard to get into at first, but really enjoyed the later stories. Not sure if the writing got easier or if I just got used to his style.
Javier
Javier rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2008
Stephanie Bundy
Stephanie Bundy rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2012
Lily Pan
Lily Pan rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2013
Forename
Forename rated it it was ok
Dec 18, 2016
Simon
Simon rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2016
Nishant
Nishant rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2008
Landon Buwalda
Landon Buwalda rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2012
Lele
Lele rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2012
Sara Soper
Sara Soper rated it liked it
May 04, 2016
Carol Leininger
Carol Leininger rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2014
Aditya Chakraborty
Aditya Chakraborty rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2016
Daniel Cury
Daniel Cury rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2013
Jennifer rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2010
Jacques
Jacques rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2009
  • Bouvard and Pécuchet with The Dictionary of Received Ideas
  • Selected Poems
  • The Heptameron
  • The Red Balloon
  • A Hundred Million Francs (Le Cycle de Louvigny, #1)
  • A Balcony in the Forest
Honoré de Balzac was a nineteenth-century French novelist and playwright. His magnum opus was a sequence of almost 100 novels and plays collectively entitled La Comédie humaine, which presents a panorama of French life in the years after the fall of Napoléon Bonaparte in 1815.

Due to his keen observation of detail and unfiltered representation of society, Balzac is regarded as one of the founders o
More about Honoré de Balzac...