Start by marking “Gone Boy: A Walkabout” as Want to Read:
Gone Boy: A Walkabout

Gone Boy: A Walkabout

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  102 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Ths story of a father's search for truth after his son's murder, "Gone Boy" offers a commanding inquiry into guns, violence, and manhood in America.
Published October 1st 1999 by Kodansha

To ask other readers questions about Gone Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gone Boy

Sallie
Dec 23, 2012 Sallie rated it it was amazing
I have to give it five stars because I read all 270 pages in a 24 hour period(amidst doing a ton of other stuff, I might add). I simply could not put it down. Rarely has a voice spoken so clearly to me through the written page.

I borrowed the book from the library after reading an Op-Ed piece in the NYTimes by Gregory Gibson just hours after the Sandy Hook Massacre. After reading the short opinion piece by Gibson, I wanted to read his book written in the 1990s (published in 2000)about his father
John Frazier
Feb 03, 2012 John Frazier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me begin by saying that the whole notion of rating a father's heart-rending account of his son's random and senseless murder is more than a little strange, as though anyone in such a position should be awarded or deducted style points for his nuanced examination of the event, its aftermath and what led up to it. Is one way of chronicling such a nightmare really better than or preferable to another? I think not.

Having said that, I was thoroughly captivated by Gregory Gibson's poignant, reveal
Nathaniel
Apr 15, 2010 Nathaniel rated it it was ok
I'm an alumnus of Simon's Rock, and the unequivocal praise for this book on Goodreads is really starting to get to me. In particular, contrary to one review, Gibson is not in any way being fair and balanced in his assessment of the situation. To the contrary, and as might be expected of a grieving parent, this book is neither objective nor rational. Many of the conclusions Gibson comes to (or should I say jumps to) are correct to some degree, but more are just plain wrong, and many of these have ...more
Aug 09, 2007 Laura rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking and thought-provoking -- a father's story about losing his son in a senseless college shooting and the aftermath. His journey takes him from the school's administrator's lack of accountablilty or even apology to the gun store where the shooter bought the gun, and even to the parents of the boy who shot his son.

Unflinching and completely un-martyr-like in tone, the author manages to touch on all the complicated emotions he and his family goes through -- it's a book about healing and
Stephanie Moran
Feb 24, 2015 Stephanie Moran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best narrative I have read. What an astounding way to deal with grief - Gregory Gibson becomes his own P.I. to discover the truths behind his son's tragic death. His book, I believe is so essential for this day and age. He is providing insight as to how and why this tragedy, the shooting at his son's school, occurred. There's too many things to say about this book.. Read it. It's a good one.
Amy
Jan 09, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
Outstanding book. The grieving father parts sometimes reminded me of John Gunther's "Death Be Not Proud". But the most striking and memorable part was the visit to the gun collector.
Caroline
Aug 13, 2012 Caroline rated it it was amazing
fascinating, honest...so raw, the author brings us with him as he deals with the anger and sadness after the murder of his son by a rampage killer.
Shawn
May 27, 2013 Shawn rated it it was amazing
Really a terrific book. Poignant without being smarmy, and full of wry observations. Not a single false note throughout.
Ki
Dec 01, 2012 Ki rated it it was amazing
Fascinating journey this book will take you on. How do you move on after your child is taken from you? Compelling read.
Barbara Nutting
Aug 03, 2016 Barbara Nutting rated it it was ok
I'm sorry for Mr Gibson's loss of his son - but this school sounds like a viper's nest of misfits!! Poorly written and very, very repetitious. As I read I googled the crime. Richard Thomas was not mentioned as a shooting victim and Matthew Lee David was???? What's the scoop on that? And, a final note.....for someone who wasn't concerned about the money angle, he sure knew how he was going to spend it!! I didn't like Greg or his son!!
Fishface
Feb 10, 2016 Fishface rated it really liked it
This is a memoir about how the father of a murdered college student set about making sense of the events that took his son's life. The writing is very unemotional but it's still easy to sense the pain that fuels the author's "walkabout," as he calls his story. He has a great deal of compassion, not only for the victims but for the killer and the killer's family as well. I get just the merest taste of his son's character in this book, but it's more than enough to tell me why he couldn't stand to ...more
Lyn
Mar 21, 2016 Lyn added it
Extremely touching story of a father's search for the meaning and truth in his son's murder.
Kimberlie
Apr 07, 2008 Kimberlie rated it it was amazing
A father loses his son when a fellow student randomly shoots him and wounds others on a college campus in the Northeast. Fueled by a consuming sense of loss and a desire to hold the college accountable for his son's death, the father pursues his own investigation of the shooter, his family and the owner of the gun shop that sold the gun. The father's investigation leads him down a path of understanding, forgiveness and healing he could not have imagined when he started his pursuit. A true and po ...more
Phyllis
Jan 02, 2013 Phyllis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This heart rendering story about a father trying to make sense of his son's murder in a school shooting is the best one I've ever read.

Gibson seeks answers to questions no one can truly provide -- but by looking he finds some peace.

When his son is murdered, this journey was his way of fitting that loss into his life.

Jennifer Nelson
Nov 04, 2015 Jennifer Nelson rated it really liked it
A great story about the pain and struggles that a parent goes through when losing a child. What this author did probably saved his sanity and helped him tremendously with his grief and anger.
Nicholas Grant Garcia
Aug 05, 2013 Nicholas Grant Garcia rated it really liked it
It was good, moving. I feel sorry for the father.
J
Jan 18, 2012 J rated it liked it
A story of discovery and healing.
Lauri
I can't get into this book. I tried.
Maeve
Jul 24, 2014 Maeve rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir
Not sure why this ended up on my bookshelves at home--largely self-reflective journey of a father trying to figure out how his son was killed in a school shooting. He blames the school for the majority of the book, trying to get some settlement with them and the school administrator to admit he made an error (which he did.) Not a bad writer, but, other than make the father feel better, I'm not sure what I gained from this.
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Mary Emmanuelle LLenos
Mary Emmanuelle LLenos marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2016
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Sarah added it
Jul 19, 2016
Dean
Dean marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Christian Butcher
Christian Butcher marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Vikash
Vikash marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Michelle Pullin
Michelle Pullin marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Erin Longcor
Erin Longcor marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
  • The Dungeon Master: The Disappearance of James Dallas Egbert III
  • The Boys on the Tracks: Death, Denial, and a Mother's Crusade to Bring Her Son's Killers to Justice
  • The Unknown Darkness: Profiling the Predators Among Us
  • Hidden Evidence: 40 True Crimes and How Forensic Science Helped Solve Them
  • Crime Scene
  • Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South
  • The Best American Sports Writing of the Century
  • Defending Gary: Unraveling the Mind of the Green River Killer
  • Without a Trace: The Disappearance of Amy Billig -- A Mother's Search for Justice
  • Maggots, Murder, and Men: Memories and Reflections of a Forensic Entomologist
  • Serial Killers and Mass Murderers: Profiles of the World's Most Barbaric Criminals
  • Signature Killers
  • Michigan Murders
  • Bones: A Forensic Detective's Casebook
  • For the Love of the Game: My Story
  • No Regrets and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #11)
  • Sleeping With Extra-Terrestrials: The Rise of Irrationalism and Perils of Piety
  • Obsession