Start by marking “Wright-Sized Houses: Frank Lloyd Wright's Solutions for Making Small Houses Feel Big” as Want to Read:

Only book on the master architect that focuses on the house of moderate cost, turning the spotlight on Wright's ingenious solutions to make homes look and feel large.
Published November 25th 2003 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Wright-Sized Houses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wright-Sized Houses

Erika RS
Dec 24, 2012 Erika RS rated it liked it
Other than the terrible pun in the title, this was a pretty good book. The book is divided into two parts. The first part describes some of the techniques Wright used. The second part has a number of case studies. The degree to which you'll like this book is probably directly proportional to the degree to which you like Frank Lloyd Wright (and are not already familiar with his techniques and homes).

I list some principles from the book. Note that some are more universal than others.

Outside
- The
Henry Sturcke
Jan 25, 2015 Henry Sturcke rated it really liked it
Written by an unabashed fan of Wright and all his works. I would have liked more coverage of aspects of design and construction that didn't work out as the architect hoped. Nevertheless, I'm glad I read this book. It is sensibly-organized: the first part outlines Wright's principles in attacking the challenge of building small homes at a reasonable price; the second part features many of his landmark buildings, showing these principles applied, with many photos and a basic floor-plan. We are ...more
Sara
Oct 13, 2014 Sara rated it liked it
.... these are "small"??
Jo
Oct 09, 2011 Jo rated it it was amazing
Wright just does so many things right. I've just added his roof to my plan, complete with the overhang over the porch, which I have moved to the water side of the loft now that I am confident of shelter from the sun. Thank you FLW.
Cindy
Sep 20, 2011 Cindy rated it really liked it
Everytime I learn something new about Frank Lloyd Wright, I become more impressed with his body of work. What an astonishing forward thinking designer!
Ambur Taft
Sep 28, 2016 Ambur Taft rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites....I love that there are always built-ins and book shelves along with the rest of the amazing design.
Autumn
Aug 12, 2015 Autumn rated it really liked it
Where's the square footage of these buildings? What do they call small or moderate sized houses??? This book is more visually pleasing, rather than fact revealing.
Michael Burke
Michael Burke rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2014
Dawn Boren
Dawn Boren rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2016
The Artful Blog
The Artful Blog rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2013
Amy Johnson
Amy Johnson rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2015
Martin Bassani
Martin Bassani rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Janet
Janet rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2008
Kylelthompson
Kylelthompson rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2007
Michelle Podolak
Michelle Podolak rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2016
Pia
Pia rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2014
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2011
Annette Armstrong
Annette Armstrong rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Virginie Poloni
Virginie Poloni rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2012
Sarah rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2008
Bonnie G
Bonnie G rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2014
Christopher Green
Christopher Green rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2015
Sandra
Sandra rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2015
Cheri Weber
Cheri Weber rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2014
Linda
May 26, 2010 Linda rated it liked it
Nice pictures, and I agree with the premise.
Shannon Ford
Shannon Ford rated it really liked it
May 06, 2015
Cory
Cory rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2016
Johnny
Johnny rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2014
Ray Manning
Ray Manning rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2015