Start by marking “Surprising Sharks (Nature Storybooks)” as Want to Read:
Surprising Sharks (Nature Storybooks)

Surprising Sharks (Read and Wonder)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Some sharks are no bigger than a chocolate bar, some have built-in fairy lights and most wouldn't go near a human, even if you were wearing a sign saying 'dinner'! So, if you thought all sharks were giant man-eating killers, you're in for a surprise.
Published by Walker & Company (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Surprising Sharks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surprising Sharks

Callie Rose Tyler
Wow, I'm not a shark person but I really enjoyed this non-fiction picture book. This is one of those books that can be read out loud at storytime and still has tons of interesting facts. By following the large bold text and picking and choosing what small print to share you can tailor is book to almost any age group. You can present the story and maybe have some kids interested in bringing it home for a closer look.
Kate
Surprising Sharks by Nicola Davies is a wonderful nonfiction book appropriate for all elementary school children, but unlike many nonfiction books, young children will be able to understand and enjoy the content. It is one of many nonfiction titles in the “Read and Wonder” series. The book is filled with interesting facts about all kinds of sharks, but written in an approachable, kid-friendly language. The fonts are eye-catching and occur in all different shapes, sizes, and colors depending on t ...more
Gregory Walters
It is commonly stated that boys like nonfiction. They love trivia such as what appears in the annual editions of the Guinness Book of Records and Uncle John's Bathroom Reader. They will study sports stats and videogame manuals. And if it's the right topic, they will read a book cover to cover on a single subject. Dinosaurs, monster trucks, animal feces...almost irresistible. Same for sharks. But the typical shark book entices readers with an open-mouthed Great White on the cover or, at the very ...more
Jessie Bear
Surprising Sharks challenges popular assumptions about sharks while illuminating the ways in which sharks are different, as well as how they are the same. The text briefly introduces the reader to a variety of sharks, such as a goblin shark or an angel shark, with an index to ease locating relevant text. Font size varies, with larger fonts carrying main concepts and smaller fonts full of more detailed facts. Two spreads of shark diagrams break up the rest of the text, with important and well dis ...more
Hayley Alden
The title of this book is "Surprising Sharks" by Nicola Davies and illustrated by James Croft. Previously a zoologist, Davies knows all there is about animals. According to the "about the author" page, Nicola Davies has spent time diving with sharks, getting to know them personally.

This book is all about sharks. Throughout the book, the reader is introduced to a the physical features of sharks, different types of sharks, where sharks live and things they like to eat. The illustrations are meant
Published by the same company as Sea Horse by Christine Butterworth, Surprising Sharks has several similarities but some differences as well. Like Sea Horse, Surprising Sharks uses two sizes of text to denote the main story line which can be used for read-alouds and the sidenotes which provide additional material for information seekers. Both titles include simple indexes, but where Sea Horse focused on just one of the many sea horse species, Surprising Sharks covers many different species of sh ...more
Bri  Ahearn
Written by Nicola Davies and illustrated by James Croft, the work is a science text, storybook and environmental lesson all-in-one. Davies doesn't shy around the fact sharks are killers and humans are sometimes their prey but instead, turns this into a lesson about how we can educate ourselves about sharks. Any words too terrifying for little ones, such as "killer" or "bone-crunching" can easily be skipped.

The pages' fonts vary in size, and the illustrations are bright and colorful, making it ex
Mary Ann
This book is great fun to read, and it helps young kids think about that essential question: what makes a shark a shark? There are SO many different types of sharks, but Davies shows that it’s “the sharkish way they behave,” always on the hunt for food, and their keen senses that makes them unique among ocean animals.
Jenny Young
Age:
Grades K-4

Genre:
non-fiction

Diversity:
Shark variety/diversity

Illustrations:
The illustrations are created with acrylic and pastel.

Personal response:
The book is great to teach children about the variety of sharks in the water. It provides brief facts about all the different sharks mentioned in the book. It is illustrated in a cute and fun manner which makes it entertaining for children. It reads like a regular picture book instead of a non-fiction book crammed full of information.

Curricular or
Amy
This is a really cute and informational book on sharks that kids can read to themselves or have read to them by a teacher. There are interesting facts written in smaller font throughout the pages so the reader can choose if he or she wants to read all of the facts. It's also very funny and the sharks are all drawn as cartoons. In my field placement I read this to a student, mostly focusing on the facts which are a little harder, as he read the general plot to me. It is definitely a good book to ...more
Beverly
Interesting snippets of info on a variety of sharks, with very nice paintings of them.
Jeanette
It has proved kinda difficult to find books about sharks that are not totally dry and boring for my shark loving 5 year old. This book is one of the best we have found. The writing is fun, the illustrations are interesting, the text is written in varying sizes and styles. Over all it is just a fun yet factual book about sharks.
Deborah
What a fun voice! Informative text in a variety of text types--and essentially set up as a reversal: "You see, MOST sharks are not at all what you might expect. After all, who would expect a shark to have built-in fairy lights. . . or blow up like a party balloon. . . or lie on the sea florr like a scrap of old carpet. . . "
Hannah Morrison
This book drew me in with the interesting page layout and awesome descriptions of animals. This book will enhance students interest in the subject and allow them to gather information from somewhere beside the text book. Students seem to enjoy learning from literature much more than flipping through a giant book.
Emmeline Guest
Would buy.

A wonderful non-fiction read for preschoolers, full of fascintating facts about sharks (small sharks, large sharks, swell sharks). As typical for Candlewick Press, the books illustrations are fun, colorful, and pleasure to look at.

Layers of text make this book appealing to older children also.

Janet
A super nonfiction title. Well illustrated, two two page spreads depicting how all sharks are alike on the outside and the inside; many different types of sharks from tiny to huge are illustrated. Did you know that some sharks lay eggs and others bear their young alive. An impressive title.
What a great nonfiction picture book! I loved the conversational style, the facts, and artwork. I also appreciated that additional resources were recommended at the end of the book. Great for younger elementary school students and a good resources for research reports too.
Pam
I thought I knew a lot about sharks but I learned so many new facts about different types of sharks. Love the endpapers that deliver more shark information. The design of the book is wonderful and will make shark experts of the children who read it!
Christy
Awesome!!! My 2nd grade is fascinated by by sharks and sea creatures. They loved this book. This book is filled with lots of interesting facts about sharks. The illustrations are bright and colorful. Great for a read a loud.
Raven
Great illustrations, informative, and fun. Love the way that it aims to dispel the fear around sharks and show they are not all bad man eating killers. There is also a lesson in there about humans killing sharks.
Jackie
Lots of interesting facts about sharks, for the shark-loving kid. It is especially interesting what humans do with sharks. Illustrations go nicely with the text.
Lynn
My son who read a number of books about sharks found this book to be amazing because he learned facts about sharks that he has not read about before.
Library Quine
A cross between an information book about sharks and a little narrative. Lots of illustrations with facts and figures for those fascinated by sharks.
Gillian
This is the book that started an all-out obsession for my 5yo. A very cool book!
I learned quite a bit. Definitely written by a shark lover.
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Victoria Radford
Victoria Radford marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Carina Arellano
Carina Arellano marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
  • The Beetle Book
  • Coral Reefs
  • Yucky Worms
  • Parrots Over Puerto Rico
  • Spiders
  • No Monkeys, No Chocolate
  • Neighborhood Sharks: Hunting with the Great Whites of California's Farallon Islands
  • Ocean Sunlight: How Tiny Plants Feed the Seas
  • Handle with Care: An Unusual Butterfly Journey
  • Life in the Ocean: The Story of Oceanographer Sylvia Earle
  • The Case of the Vanishing Golden Frogs: A Scientific Mystery
  • Manfish: A Story of Jacques Cousteau
  • Can We Save the Tiger?
  • Vulture View
  • An Egg Is Quiet
"I was very small when I saw my first dolphin," says zoologist Nicola Davies, recalling a seminal visit with her father to a dolphin show at the zoo. Enchanted at the sight of what she called the "big fish" jumping so high and swimming so fast, she determined right then that she would meet the amazing creatures again "in the wild, where they belonged." And indeed she did--as part of a pair of scie ...more
More about Nicola Davies...

Read and Wonder (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • A Field Full of Horses: Read and Wonder
  • All Pigs Are Beautiful: Read and Wonder
  • Bat Loves the Night: Read and Wonder
  • Big Blue Whale: Read and Wonder
  • Chameleons Are Cool: Read and Wonder
  • Dolphin Baby!
  • Gentle Giant Octopus: Read and Wonder
  • Growing Frogs
  • I Love Guinea Pigs (Read and Wonder Books)
  • Jody's Beans
Outside Your Window: A First Book of Nature Just Ducks! One Tiny Turtle: Read and Wonder Tiny Creatures: The World of Microbes The Promise