Start by marking “The Criminal Mind: A Writer's Guide to Forensic Psychology” as Want to Read:
The Criminal Mind: A Writer's Guide to Forensic Psychology

The Criminal Mind: A Writer's Guide to Forensic Psychology

To help writers create more credible and convincing criminal characters, this guide examines the basics of psychology and law, theories of criminality, and various disorders that can lead to criminal behaviour. It also explores the legal process, forensics, and treatment of offenders and victims.
Published June 22nd 2002 by Writer's Digest Books

To ask other readers questions about The Criminal Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Criminal Mind

Kathrynn
Jul 09, 2008 Kathrynn rated it did not like it
I did not care for how this book was laid out. There was some good information, but I had to sift through a vast amount of filler info to find it. The author spent a great deal of time giving real life, television, and movie cases then picked them apart for accuracy. I was very frustrated after spending the time reading her lengthy details to find a summary of exceptions--in paragraph form.

I found the style and tone mind numbingly boring, the useful information surrounded by pages of narration
Wendy
Mar 24, 2015 Wendy rated it liked it
Not what I hoped for. While it provides a lot of information, it wasn't the information I was looking for, so it ended up not being very useful for me.

There was a lot of repetitive information, and several times where I sensed an irritated or condescending tone to the words as if the author wrote the book to correct misconceptions she'd heard - but not in the "let me write a book to give people the facts" way, more like "let me write a book to rant about all the misconceptions people have" kind
Aaron
Mar 07, 2012 Aaron rated it really liked it
This book is an excellent intro to criminal profile types. The author explains the legal conditions concerning how an offender may claim insanity. The author does delineate crime concerning the youth. The book also informs you about what responsibilites, ethics and procedures a forensic psychologist has concerning criminal defenses.The author also brings your attention to the challenges and issues within the field of forensic psych that concern malingering and lie detection. The author holds deg ...more
N.L. Riviezzo
The tone of the book was mind-numbing. The organization of the content was minimal and often unreadable. The useful content was difficult to find after sifting through all the examples that weren't particularly good examples of the condition they were suppose to represent. All in all, this book qualifies as a borderline waste of paper.
Arlene
May 11, 2014 Arlene rated it really liked it
If you are a writer and you work within the crime genre, this is definitely a book you should read. It details the roles that various mental health professionals play in the world of criminal law, as well as some of the ethical and professional pitfalls one can get into.

Research is important to any writer, and this is a fantastic book to have in the research toolbox.
D.
Oct 02, 2009 D. added it
The Criminal Mind by Katherine Ramsland (2002)
Elizabeth Engstrom
Mar 13, 2009 Elizabeth Engstrom rated it it was amazing
Another excellent read by an important author in the field.
Anne Marshall
Aug 31, 2012 Anne Marshall rated it did not like it
Much too dry, which is surprising considering her last book wasn’t.
Charles
Mar 28, 2009 Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A good reference for writers. Not always the most exciting reading, but it gives the background and details you need to create your own CSI type story where Forensic Psychology is concerned.
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2007
Jeremy Loucks
Jeremy Loucks rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2015
Jennifer Stewart
Jennifer Stewart rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2015
Melanie  Young
Melanie Young rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2015
Ruby
Ruby rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2009
Cheryl MacDonald
Cheryl MacDonald rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2015
Alexa
Alexa rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Nancy Gardner
Nancy Gardner rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2015
Suzanne
Jun 26, 2012 Suzanne rated it liked it
A pretty dry read, but a helpful resource.
Brian Graybeal
Brian Graybeal rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2016
Luis Nava
Luis Nava rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2013
Brandie Gruss
Brandie Gruss rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2015
John Silbersack
John Silbersack rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Samia
Samia rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2007
Jaclyn Baros
Jaclyn Baros rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2015
Mardi Link
Mardi Link rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2009
Stephanie A. Cain
Stephanie A. Cain rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2008
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2012
Daniel R. Cooper, Jr.
Daniel R. Cooper, Jr. rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Chris Vuong
Chris Vuong rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
Rosemary Copeland
Rosemary Copeland rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2017
  • Deadly Doses: A Writer's Guide to Poisons
  • Writing Mysteries
  • Armed and Dangerous: A Writer's Guide to Weapons
  • Police Procedure & Investigation: A Guide for Writers
  • 4 A.M. Breakthrough: Unconventional Writing Exercises That Transform Your Fiction
  • The Joy of Writing Sex: A Guide for Fiction Writers
  • On Writing Horror: A Handbook by the Horror Writers Association
  • Between the Lines: Master the Subtle Elements of Fiction Writing
  • Forensics: A Guide for Writers
  • The Writer's Digest Sourcebook for Building Believable Characters
  • 78 Reasons Why Your Book May Never Be Published and 14 Reasons Why It Just Might
  • The Writer's Guide to Character Traits: Includes Profiles of Human Behaviors and Personality Types
  • How to Write a Damn Good Mystery: A Practical Step-by-Step Guide from Inspiration to Finished Manuscript
  • Complete Writer's Guide to Heroes and Heroines: Sixteen Master Archetypes
  • The Writer's Digest Character Naming Sourcebook
I've loved books since I was 3, and the library was a highlight of my childhood. I've been fortunate to be able to find great joy in what others have written and sometimes to give this to readers. I follow my own muse, because it leads me on interesting adventures. If others benefit, so much the better.
More about Katherine Ramsland...