Start by marking “The Criminal Mind: A Writer's Guide to Forensic Psychology” as Want to Read:
The Criminal Mind: A Writer's Guide to Forensic Psychology

The Criminal Mind: A Writer's Guide to Forensic Psychology

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  10 reviews
To help writers create more credible and convincing criminal characters, this guide examines the basics of psychology and law, theories of criminality, and various disorders that can lead to criminal behaviour. It also explores the legal process, forensics, and treatment of offenders and victims.
Published June 22nd 2002 by Writer's Digest Books

To ask other readers questions about The Criminal Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Criminal Mind

Kathrynn
I did not care for how this book was laid out. There was some good information, but I had to sift through a vast amount of filler info to find it. The author spent a great deal of time giving real life, television, and movie cases then picked them apart for accuracy. I was very frustrated after spending the time reading her lengthy details to find a summary of exceptions--in paragraph form.

I found the style and tone mind numbingly boring, the useful information surrounded by pages of narration
Wendy
Not what I hoped for. While it provides a lot of information, it wasn't the information I was looking for, so it ended up not being very useful for me.

There was a lot of repetitive information, and several times where I sensed an irritated or condescending tone to the words as if the author wrote the book to correct misconceptions she'd heard - but not in the "let me write a book to give people the facts" way, more like "let me write a book to rant about all the misconceptions people have" kind
Arlene
If you are a writer and you work within the crime genre, this is definitely a book you should read. It details the roles that various mental health professionals play in the world of criminal law, as well as some of the ethical and professional pitfalls one can get into.

Research is important to any writer, and this is a fantastic book to have in the research toolbox.
Aaron
This book is an excellent intro to criminal profile types. The author explains the legal conditions concerning how an offender may claim insanity. The author does delineate crime concerning the youth. The book also informs you about what responsibilites, ethics and procedures a forensic psychologist has concerning criminal defenses.The author also brings your attention to the challenges and issues within the field of forensic psych that concern malingering and lie detection. The author holds deg ...more
N.L. Riviezzo
The tone of the book was mind-numbing. The organization of the content was minimal and often unreadable. The useful content was difficult to find after sifting through all the examples that weren't particularly good examples of the condition they were suppose to represent. All in all, this book qualifies as a borderline waste of paper.
Charles
A good reference for writers. Not always the most exciting reading, but it gives the background and details you need to create your own CSI type story where Forensic Psychology is concerned.
Anne Marshall
Much too dry, which is surprising considering her last book wasn’t.
Elizabeth Engstrom
Another excellent read by an important author in the field.
D.
Oct 02, 2009 D. added it
The Criminal Mind by Katherine Ramsland (2002)
Suzanne
A pretty dry read, but a helpful resource.
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Pushpa
Pushpa marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Emma Iadanza
Emma Iadanza marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Addicted to Books
Addicted to Books marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Natalie Pond
Natalie Pond marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Anny
Anny marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Pamela Fernandez
Pamela Fernandez marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Raven Hymn
Raven Hymn marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Body Trauma: A Writer's Guide to Wounds and Injuries
  • Scene of the Crime: A Writer 's Guide to Crime Scene Investigation
  • Cause of Death: A Writer's Guide to Death, Murder, and Forensic Medicine
  • Book of Poisons: A Guide for Writers
  • Writing Mysteries
  • Armed and Dangerous: A Writer's Guide to Weapons
  • 4 A.M. Breakthrough: Unconventional Writing Exercises That Transform Your Fiction
  • Between the Lines: Master the Subtle Elements of Fiction Writing
  • On Writing Horror: A Handbook by the Horror Writers Association
  • The Joy of Writing Sex: A Guide for Fiction Writers
  • Police Procedure & Investigation: A Guide for Writers
  • The Writer's Digest Sourcebook for Building Believable Characters
  • Forensics: A Guide for Writers
  • 78 Reasons Why Your Book May Never Be Published and 14 Reasons Why It Just Might
  • The Writer's Digest Character Naming Sourcebook
  • Story Structure Architect: A Writer's Guide to Building Dramatic Situations and Compelling Characters
  • How to Write a Damn Good Mystery: A Practical Step-by-Step Guide from Inspiration to Finished Manuscript
  • The Writer's Guide to Character Traits: Includes Profiles of Human Behaviors and Personality Types
I've loved books since I was 3, and the library was a highlight of my childhood. I've been fortunate to be able to find great joy in what others have written and sometimes to give this to readers. I follow my own muse, because it leads me on interesting adventures. If others benefit, so much the better.
More about Katherine Ramsland...
The Vampire Companion The Witches' Companion Cemetery Stories: Haunted Graveyards, Embalming Secrets, and the Life of a Corpse After Death Prism of the Night: A Biography of Anne Rice The Devil's Dozen: How Cutting-Edge Forensics Took Down 12 Notorious Serial Killers