Start by marking “Testimony of Two Men” as Want to Read:
Testimony of Two Men

Testimony of Two Men

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  1,555 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Published May 12th 1984 by Fawcett Books (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Testimony of Two Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Testimony of Two Men

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Outsiders by S.E. HintonOne Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken KeseySlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Best Books of the Decade: 1960's
375th out of 702 books — 940 voters
Stiff by Mary RoachThe Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca SklootThe Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales by Oliver SacksOne Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken KeseyThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
Medicine in Literature
398th out of 1,061 books — 1,342 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan 31, 2009 Clara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Clara by: Mom
This one of the nine books my mom wanted me to read, while she read my beloved Harry Potters (plus two others she hasn't gotten to yet). This is one of her very favorite books and I can see why. The story was enticing! I had a little trouble getting into it, maybe the first hundred pages, but the remaining 600 flew for me. I found the medical history aspect of it fascinating. I loved the main character, Jon. He's sometimes difficult to love, but he reminds me a lot of myself, so the book was eas ...more
This is one of my all-time favorites. Read this so many years ago and re-read it every so often. Set in the early 1900's, it tells the story of Jonathan Ferrier, the once-respected doctor of a small Pennsylvania town. His reputation is now in shreds due to the death of his young and very beautiful wife Mavis as the result of a botched abortion, for which Jonathan was arrested and tried. Acquitted of the crime, he is haunted by the past and in the process of selling his practice to a new doctor a ...more
Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder
I have been a voracious reader since childhood and I read this after viewing the miniseries of this book on TV. I don't really remember the miniseries all that well but I did end up reading the book after viewing the TV program while I Was a youngster in the 70s. This particular miniseries was never made into a DVD as far as I know. However, over the years I must have reread this book 100s of times. This is my #1 favorite book for all time. The story of the complex protagonist Jonathan Ferrier w ...more
Prod Desc: Someday the town of Hambledon might forget the lies they told about their brilliant young doctor. But they could never forgive the truths he told about them. From this compelling story of a doctor at war with the world he has been taught to heal, Taylor Caldwell has fashioned a novel of an unforgettable, angry idealist -- a novel in which the drama of new medical frontiers becomes part of a sweeping chronicle of love, death, desire, and redemption.

I was introduced to the wonderful wri
Very nice to see this book so highly regarded here. It was the first novel by Taylor Caldwell that I read, back in 1972, I believe. I've re-read it twice since then. It's a powerful story with the author's traditional emotional and scenic detail, a fascinating story peopled with fascinating characters and relationships. Regrettably it's out-of-print at this time, along with almost all of Caldwell's other works. With the current interest in historical novels, I'd like to see some of her books mad ...more
Kurt Keefner
I might have more to say about this novel later. For now I'll say it's a great story about a larger-than-life physician trying to survive being moral (when he isn't being outrageously cynical) in an immoral world. Jonathan Ferrier is like all the positive characters in The Fountainhead rolled into a ball and kicked across the county.
Nov 08, 2008 Graham rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Graham by: Lesley
Gripping reading. I found the characters fascinating and the insight into the nature of people really exciting.

Didn't enjoy parts of the book - once or twice (not often), it was a little slow; also I felt some of the violence and sex described was unnecessarily crude or graphic.
Mrs. Taylor Caldwell has a way of writing religious and moral stories and hiding them in a romantic plot, you learn about the human race and all it's foibles and failings in spite of yourself. Very good read, I mean to buy and watch the movie of the same name sometime.
Patricia dumas
I first learned about sepsis and antiseptic from this book. I was amazed that the world thought there was no such thing as dying from little things you couldn't see called "germs" . Was a real eye opener in my 20's about medical history, and how hard some doctors had to fight to make other doctors wash their hands before delivering babies. Unheard of!! Nevertheless.. great story... After this, I can't get enough of medical history, medical history novels and the like.

Was thoroughly entranced in
Excellent book, portraying not only the difficulty the medical profession had within its own ranks to recognize germs and the prevention of infection, but also the intricacies of human motive and behaviour in general. She is a master story-weaver.

Taylor Caldwell, an excellent author, held positions in the US Department of Justice as well. Her books cover historical figures and well as fictional characters/stories which portray a historical period. But what I love is that she had understanding th
Roy Littlefield
This novel was so well written: powerful characters, vivid description of the settings, and many moments of introspection for the reader.
Valerie Sargent
I had a bit of a hard time getting into this book, but found that eventually I was engrossed in the story and the mystery.
Another slow moving book with an unlikeable main character. It gets better near the end.
Read the book long ago and have just reread it. The same five stars!
Debra Morrow
This is an epic novel that has a little of everything; philosophy, medical history,love, sex, and a murder mystery. Yes, it is long, but it's the kind of book you can get immersed in. I looked forward to picking it up every night before bed! The characters are flawed, even the protagonist; and it is the struggle of these characters to do or not do the right thing that moves the story along. That story is unpredictable, exciting, and at times alarming. A great read for fun!
I first read this book probably over 30 years ago, and have read it at least once or twice more and would probably read it again. I could hardly get enough of Taylor Caldwell's books back then, and still treasure the ones I got from my Mom. This was made into a TV mini-series, one of the first of its kind, and it was intriguing - a family saga that unfolds over the years, with death and deceit an integral part. I want to go read it again!!!!
Kathy Schultz
I read a number of Caldwell's books back in the 1970's and thoroughly enjoyed them. At the time I found it interesting her mention of the International Bankers--very wealthy people who "control" governments and politics. Several of her novels center around this theme. This is probably the book, though, that I remember and enjoyed the most.
Wow. Was there ever a town full of meaner, more narrow minded people than the one in which this one is set? This was a "good read"; that is, I enjoyed the story, but the characters were difficult to sympathize with as they were either priggish, comically evil, or a mix of the two. I don't think I'll read anything else by Taylor Caldwell.
As is often the case with me, I reached for the book after loving the mini-series shown in the late 70s on Operation Primetime (at least in NYC). Caldwell's sweeping novel is an expose of medical practices at the turn of the century, typical dysfunctional families, betrayals, love lost, love found. A great guilty pleasure of a read.
Great read about humanity and how when given the choice, man will choose evil over good but good does win in the end.
I love Taylor Caldwell but think that this book was a bit wordy. The story was great but the dialogue was too long in some instances. It is a 600 page book that could have been written in far fewer pages.
Terry Coffman
One of my favorite all time books. In the 70s there was a mini-series made from this book with David Birney as Jon Ferrier. It's about Jon Ferrier, a doctor of the 19th century, who comes close to losing his soul to bitterness and cynicism. His love for a young woman pulls him back from the abyss.
Read this book in my EARLY 20's. A great 'saga' read akin to "Gone With the Wind" or "Lonesome Dove". In retrospect, her words about the financial institutions wielding so much power are eerie. This would be a good Nook or Kindle read at a beach or poolside.
Jul 03, 2012 Mare added it
This is a great book written by a super-intelligent woman. It tells the story of a man who is accused of killing his wife and is brought down by the false testimony of two people whom he trusts.
Kathryn Barker
One of my very favorite books of all time!!! Such a great story, the characters of compelling! Deserves more than 5 stars, although I can't say I am a fan of Taylor Caldwell's other books.
It took me awhile to get into this book, but once I did I really enoyed it. Kinda creepy how some of the political things in the book that they speak of and warned of have come true!
Kathleen Marasco
It's been years and years since I've read this book, but I still recall how much I loved it at the time, again, one of the best I have ever read.
Kim Preslar
A wonderful story of a small town doctor who desires truth over convention. A great story for readers who enjoy tales of small town life.
Jan 25, 2008 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like historical novels
Shelves: loved-it
This is my favorite book of all time. Well maybe my second favorite. It is interesting, poignant, and an easy read
This was the first book I read ad a teenager that was an "adult" book. I loved the characters and her writing.
  • Sins of the Fathers
  • Beulah Land (Beulah Land, #1)
  • The Search for a Soul: Taylor Caldwell's Psychic Lives
  • An Indecent Obsession
  • Csardas
  • Wild Swan (Wild Swan Trilogy, #1)
  • God Is an Englishman (Swann Saga, #1)
  • Just Wait Till You Have Children of Your Own!
  • Charleston
  • Kiss and Kill (Hot Blood, #8)
  • The Temptation of Angelique: Book Two. Gold Beard's Downfall (Angelique: Original version #8-2)
  • The Turquoise
  • The Mallen Streak
  • Hester Roon
  • Calico Palace
Also known by the pen names Marcus Holland and Max Reiner.

Taylor Caldwell was born in Manchester, England. In 1907 she emigrated to the United States with her parents and younger brother. Her father died shortly after the move, and the family struggled. At the age of eight she started to write stories, and in fact wrote her first novel, The Romance of Atlantis, at the age of twelve (although it
More about Taylor Caldwell...
Captains and the Kings Dear and Glorious Physician Great Lion of God A Pillar of Iron I, Judas

“We all feel inadequate very often. It’s only when it gets chronic that it is disturbing to one’s emotions and can get out of hand and make you pretty damn miserable.” 0 likes