Start by marking “Spirit of the Witch: Religion & Spirituality in Contemporary Witchcraft” as Want to Read:
Spirit of the Witch: Religion & Spirituality in Contemporary Witchcraft

Spirit of the Witch: Religion & Spirituality in Contemporary Witchcraft

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  166 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
In this one-of-a-kind guidebook, award-winning Wiccan author and scholar Raven Grimassi presents an insightful portrait of the spirit of the Witch. He explores the spiritual element of the rituals, practices, and beliefs of Witchcraft, and how these elements apply not only to the seasons of nature, but also to the mystical seasons of the soul.
Literate and positive, "Spiri
Published October 8th 2003 by Llewellyn Publications (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Spirit of the Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spirit of the Witch

Molly
May 24, 2012 Molly added it
This book is a primer for understanding spirituality in modern witchcraft traditions. However, in the usual style of Grimassi, it's not simplistic in tone or language. So this probably wouldn't be the right book for a dilettante (as so many new books seem to desire), but the reader who is seriously interested in a detailed view spanning many topics would love it.

Now, I am probably not the right person to write this review since I did not find it by choice. It was one of the terrific featured ite
Missy
Jun 15, 2015 Missy rated it really liked it
Recommended to Missy by: los Angeles pagan alliancd book circle
This book is full of history and reads like a text book. Meaning that sometimes it feels a bit overwhelming with information. While I did enjoy his writing I did not enjoy the name dropping of his previous works. This book seemed like an introduction to witchcraft but with references to most of his past works it was awkward. But I did learn a lot.

On another thing I noticed. For an author who talked so much about the feminine aspects of the witch he didn't write much about the maiden, mother and
Logospilgrim
Dec 01, 2011 Logospilgrim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
An excellent book. I found it most helpful. Raven Grimassi writes with wisdom, respect, kindness and sensitivity.
Nicole Morragan
This book covers many of the topics traditionally found in many 101 books. What set it apart from most is the focus on explaination on why it is many things are done/practiced. It added historical information and links to The Old Religion and other religions currently practiced today. While this book provided many basic how-to aspects, it seemed rather to focus on the why we do aspects. Many of the explainations were new to me, and some I'd only read in a single other source. I've read many 101 ...more
Sharon Miller
Nov 20, 2012 Sharon Miller rated it it was ok
While this is a very clear, very straightforward and no-nonsense introduction to the novice, it is ultimately little more than a list, with none of the eloquence, poetry, or scholarship of Starhawk's "Spiral Dance" or Robert Graves, "The White Goddess." I was disappointed because I was hoping for a more sophisticated read on the unique history, metaphysics, and ethics of Neopagan spirituality. I enjoyed the last chapter on seasons and the metaphors of life's seasonality, but I was looking for a ...more
Chelsea Cahill
Oct 20, 2015 Chelsea Cahill rated it it was amazing
A very good book for beginners looking at witchcraft as a whole and going into detail with how-tos and the why behind them. Would recommend.
Oct 07, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: magikal
If you are on the path, I HIGHLY recommend this book as one to OWN. I learned more from it than almost any other in the years that I devoured material on the subject. I also keep my copy close by. It is one of the books that gets packed close in the times I have moved. It is also the one with coffee and bathwater stains...because I love it.
Wench
I want to not have to pack and move another book more than I want to finish this. So since someone on Paperback Swap has this on their wishlist, AWAY IT GOES.
Christine
Sep 02, 2008 Christine rated it it was ok
Shelves: wicca, witchcraft, 2006
A fairly decent book
Wend
Wend marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Bengy Speer
Bengy Speer marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Amy Jescilla
Amy Jescilla marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Judith Moon
Judith Moon marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Charlotte Fraser
Charlotte Fraser marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Sherry
Sherry rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
Jennifer is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2016
Sarah Keller
Sarah Keller marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Laurie
Laurie rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Eileen Kessler
Eileen Kessler rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2016
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Kelly Russell
Kelly Russell marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Demi Nemorensis
Demi Nemorensis marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
TK-421
TK-421 added it
Mar 06, 2016
Melody Villegas
Melody Villegas marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Christo Ferreira
Christo Ferreira marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Tatiana Marie
Tatiana Marie marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Molly G
Molly G marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
  • The Way of Four: Create Elemental Balance in Your Life
  • The Outer Temple of Witchcraft: Circles, Spells, and Rituals (Temple of Witchcraft, #2)
  • The Provenance Press Guide to the Wiccan Year: Spells, Rituals, and Holiday Celebrations
  • Craft of the Wild Witch: Green Spirituality & Natural Enchantment
  • The Witch in Every Woman: Reawakening the Magical Nature of the Feminine to Heal, Protect, Create, and Empower
  • Book of Witchery: Spells, Charms & Correspondences for Every Day of the Week
  • Witch's Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore
  • Witch Crafting: A Spiritual Guide to Making Magic
  • The Witches' God
  • Your Book Of Shadows: How to Write Your Own Magickal Spells
  • Green Witchcraft III: The Manual
  • Candlemas: Feast of Flames
  • Real Witches' Year: Spells, Rituals, and Meditations for Every Day of the Year
  • A Witch Alone: Thirteen Moons to Master Natural Magic