Start by marking “This Dark World: A Memoir of Salvation Found and Lost” as Want to Read:
This Dark World: A Memoir of Salvation Found and Lost

This Dark World: A Memoir of Salvation Found and Lost

A riveting memoir of one woman's immersion into Fundamentalist faith and her decision, twenty years later, to leave it all behind.

Carolyn Briggs grew up with modest means in the Iowa heartland. Pregnant at seventeen, married a few months later, by the age of eighteen she found herself living in a trailer with no plans beyond having more babies-until she found Jesus. It beg
Published February 4th 2003 by Bloomsbury USA (first published March 6th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about This Dark World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Dark World

Rickey
Jul 09, 2012 Rickey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book after watching the movie. I enjoyed the movie but wanted to get a little more insight into the author’s feelings. Books usually give you a much better understanding of the characters, and this book did not disappoint me. The author is a very talented writer; it doesn’t surprise me that she is now an English professor. From the movie you got a sense of a “Yearning-For-Zion types” complete with prairie dresses and long braided hair. The book gave you a feeling of long-haired hippi ...more
Wade
Mar 03, 2013 Wade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the movie, and I was surprised at how different - how much more subtle - the book is.
This is a wonderful memoir about the power and punishment of evangelical Christianity. In my circles, it's rare to read the positive truth of belonging and love and worthiness that comes with connection to a like-minded group of people - yet also to read about the struggles and ultimate damage that such belonging can do. In this quiet, lovely book, Carolyn Briggs tells us her life story, unflinchingly an
Chantal LeGendre
Mar 03, 2012 Chantal LeGendre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so grateful for This Dark World (Higher Ground). I think she got the title right the first time. After you leave the world of faith, the word is indeed dark. Uncertain. Alone. You can't return to your 'brethren' because they're not going to get it, and you can't talk to unbelievers for the same reason. And if you try, your certain to sound like a gasping, stuttering idiot to both camps. Most of all, you can't talk to God, your Stalwart, all-knowing, all-encompassing, trusted Standby. Suddenl ...more
Libby
Jan 19, 2012 Libby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was prompted to read this book after seeing Vera Farmiga's movie Higher Ground, which she directed (her directorial debut) and starred in (the movie was based on this book). However, this was an unusual instance of the movie's being more satisfying than the book. The book has an emotional flatness to it that felt repressive--I guess that's what being a born-again Christian for so many years will do to you... I would have liked more about her life with her current husband, who is a shadowy fig ...more
Richard
I felt her story as told in the book was unbalanced. So much time is give to her over zealous years in an unbalanced church. Not enough time given to the wrestling within Carolyn with the extreme teachings and experience she went through in those years. And then how she views them now after leaving them behind.

-------

The FAQs on her site warped up the book nicely.

Where are you with your faith right now?
A: I could not live in a world without God. And this God
Jean
Aug 07, 2011 Jean rated it liked it
I'm not sure what I thought this book would be about, but it turned out to be about one woman's experience as a born again Christian. I ploughed right through it as it was fascinating to read her accounts of what she was taught in a somewhat nonjudgmental way. The end was a little too short considering the change that the story took. I'd recommend this with the caveat that if reading about Jesus makes you squirmish, you will probably not enjoy this book.
Chavonne
Apr 10, 2013 Chavonne rated it liked it
I enjoyed the subject matter more than the actual writing. This was a memoir written by a woman who was formally a fundamentalist Christian and her movement away from her faith. I felt that a lot was lacking and found I had many questions at the end, such as what happened to her family and what her faith looks like now. I don't know who I'd recommend this to. It made for a really interesting book club.
Robin
Feb 06, 2017 Robin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I relate very much to this story-practically my memoir.
Danielle
I actually watched the movie adaptation of this book prior to reading it. I was intrigued by the author's story and read a little bit more about her on the internet after watching the movie. The book and subsequent movie are about the author's faith and experiences as a fundamentalist Christian before she ultimately decides to leave the Church. In the stuff I read outside of the book she was talking about how she has never really been fully able to let go of her faith. Ultimately what I was look ...more
Selina
Jun 20, 2016 Selina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For those that have read this book and seen the movie.

I think the author left a lot out of why she left the faith, (or church) I got that she was unsatisfied in her marriage and it seemed she was going on a prodigal daughter journey at the end. I think also what comes across is she misses the certainty of belonging. Whether its to her husband or church. I do think she married really young and a lot of the memoir described how she just went straight from school to being married.

If she could conn
Asiah
May 11, 2013 Asiah rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith
Kristin
Jan 07, 2013 Kristin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Read this memoir after watching the movie last week, and this may be one of the only times when the movie is better than the book. Interestingly, Carolyn Briggs wrote the screenplay as well, so maybe she's just more talented at that genre. Also, I don't know if I'm just turning into a crank, but so much of what I've read lately seems so poorly edited. For example, for 250 pages, Briggs has the reader know in great detail that her family and those around them ate health foods religiously. Then al ...more
Jan
Jan 14, 2014 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I like about this book is that it describes well the attractive, positive side of the kind of church that Carolyn and her husband belonged to, and not just the constricting, judgmental aspect of it. Too often descriptions of fundamentalist churches treat them like dysfunctional weirdos of a power trip. In her memoir, Carolyn shows the joy, support and sense of sharing and community that her church offered her, and the comfort of black and white answers to life's questions. I agree with othe ...more
Sarah Rice
I really enjoyed this book. I think it gives a pretty honest look into the world of fundamentalist Christianity. It is well written and thoughtful. I might have enjoyed more analysis, but I guess it is just a memoir and not a scholarly work... This is currently a movie that is out (only in select cities/theaters, it seems), directed by and starring Vera Farmiga called Higher Ground. I'm eager to see the movie adaptation.

Here's a quote that comes toward the end of the book to which I am particula
Popnfresh Dudley
May 17, 2009 Popnfresh Dudley rated it liked it
It was interesting to read about someone going from secular, to fanatic, and back to secular. Carolyn really found a niche, for a time, in the world of a church that constantly questions your faith. While her disenfranchisement seemed organic, I would have like to have seen that more fleshed out. The book sleeve mentioned that she was questioning more, but I didn't get a feel for that as much as she seemed to feel that she wanted something more.

I also would have liked to have heard more about h
NcSark
I enjoyed this book and certainly, I think there are many of these experiences out there that people have gone through with the church and God that need to be told more often. I thought the book spent a little too much time in "the church years" and found that it caused the second half to lag a bit but I do understand how immersive that world is and can be hard to break free from. I'm certainly glad the author shared her story although I would have liked to hear more about her crisis of faith an ...more
Elen Ghulam
Jan 29, 2015 Elen Ghulam rated it it was ok
The first 80 pages bored me. A mountain of information that never converges into anything. After that it got more interesting and I got more into it. However I was expecting more depth when describing both the faith and loss of faith. The book describes details, names, situations but never delves into the subject matter. Always floating above, skirting the issue. There has to be a better book about loss of faith.
Joa Laville
Mar 13, 2013 Joa Laville rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this memoir, originally called This Dark World, before hosting the author, Carolyn Briggs, at a book club session. She comes across as very honest and genuine in person, and the book (and movie) reflects that. She really chronicles her journey of faith in a way that is so unique, yet feels universal. I think we can all relate to the paradox of naming a story about faith and a "life in progress" both This Dark World" AND "Higher Ground"--both feel true depending on the moment.
Patricia Klein
Mar 10, 2013 Patricia Klein rated it really liked it
Two years ago we watched the movie of this book. It is what lead ME TO GET THE BOOK. It is a real inside look at a women who from teen age years to h34 lat4e thirties was a staunched fundamentalist believer. This is her memoir and it deals with a loss of faith and lots of questioning. I found it interesting, heartbreaking and "faithfully educational".
Dec 21, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting story, I was along for the ride the whole way, but there was so much time spent on her life become a fundamentalist Christian that I wanted more denouement. The ending felt a little bit rushed to me, even though for her it had clearly been a long time coming. I was willing to keep reading more detail about her loss of faith.
Allison
Apr 11, 2013 Allison rated it really liked it
Recommended to Allison by: Book Club (Amy)
Shelves: book-club
3.5

Very interesting. Made me uncomfortable in lots of spots. Helped me to understand some people. Reminded me of old things. I enjoyed the first 1/3 the best and the 2/3 a lot. Last portion left me feeling a little dry and it turns out that, according to an article, the ending sound different than it was in her real life. Good discussion for Book Club, for sure.
Steve Wiggins
Jan 04, 2014 Steve Wiggins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The spiritual biographies of women constitute a fascinating subset of memoirs. Carolyn Briggs' experience is one that leaves the reader wanting to learn more, beyond the movie. Further thoughts may be found here: Sects and Violence in the Ancient World.
Johanna
Oct 02, 2011 Johanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to find my own story. It is extremely well written. It is obvious she is an English professor now. I was reminded of many things I had forgotten. It all rang true. I was hoping there would be more on what happened to her afterwards and how she became a college professor. Maybe the next book?
Bill
May 21, 2014 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, religion
A wonderful memoir of a woman trapped in a loveless marriage and disillusioned with her fundamentalist life. She makes painful choices - painful for her and nearly everyone in her life. She had the courage to follow her dreams and land on her feet. Poignant and compelling.
Donna Flora
Jul 23, 2015 Donna Flora rated it really liked it
I decided to read this book after watching the Movie Higher Ground to get a better understanding of the authors Carolyn S. Briggs. There is always so much more to the story than can be squeezed into w movie. The author is a very good writer and I loved the story she told.
Katie Devorah
Mar 22, 2014 Katie Devorah rated it it was ok
I didn't fully understand the story she was trying to tell. It was more a memoir of a marriage she was unhappy in then losing her religion.
Elizabeth
Surprisingly, I liked the movie better. Book ending felt rushed and unresolved.
Susann
Oct 13, 2011 Susann marked it as to-read
Really liked Higher Ground, the movie that this is based on.
Sandy
Sep 03, 2011 Sandy rated it liked it
would recommend this for book groups, especially those in christian circles.
Nathan
Aug 16, 2011 Nathan rated it really liked it
A personal and thoughtful memoir describing the Briggs' experience in a fundamentalist evangelical congregation.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Patience With God: Faith for People Who Don't Like Religion (or Atheism)
  • Jesus Girls: True Tales of Growing Up Female and Evangelical
  • The Scent of God: A Memoir
  • Darling: A Spiritual Autobiography
  • Turbulent Souls: A Catholic Son's Return To His Jewish Family
  • Deconverted: a Journey from Religion to Reason
  • Does Jesus Really Love Me?: A Gay Christian's Pilgrimage in Search of God in America
  • Speaking of Faith
  • Sweet Heaven When I Die: Faith, Faithlessness, and the Country In Between
  • My Almost Certainly Real Imaginary Jesus
  • Leaving the Fold: A Guide for Former Fundamentalists and Others Leaving Their Religion
  • Bob Hope: My Life In Jokes
  • Golden Legacy: How Golden Books Won Children's Hearts, Changed Publishing Forever, and Became An American Icon Along the Way
  • A Christian Survival Guide: A Lifeline to Faith and Growth
  • Faith Shift: Finding Your Way Forward When Everything You Believe Is Coming Apart
  • Post-Traumatic Church Syndrome: A Memoir of Humor and Healing