This Dark World: A Memoir of Salvation Found and Lost

This Dark World: A Memoir of Salvation Found and Lost

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A riveting memoir of one woman's immersion into Fundamentalist faith and her decision, twenty years later, to leave it all behind.

Carolyn Briggs grew up with modest means in the Iowa heartland. Pregnant at seventeen, married a few months later, by the age of eighteen she found herself living in a trailer with no plans beyond having more babies-until she found Jesus. It beg...more
Published February 4th 2003 by Bloomsbury USA (first published March 6th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about This Dark World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Dark World

Libby
I was prompted to read this book after seeing Vera Farmiga's movie Higher Ground, which she directed (her directorial debut) and starred in (the movie was based on this book). However, this was an unusual instance of the movie's being more satisfying than the book. The book has an emotional flatness to it that felt repressive--I guess that's what being a born-again Christian for so many years will do to you... I would have liked more about her life with her current husband, who is a shadowy fig...more
Jean
I'm not sure what I thought this book would be about, but it turned out to be about one woman's experience as a born again Christian. I ploughed right through it as it was fascinating to read her accounts of what she was taught in a somewhat nonjudgmental way. The end was a little too short considering the change that the story took. I'd recommend this with the caveat that if reading about Jesus makes you squirmish, you will probably not enjoy this book.
Chavonne
I enjoyed the subject matter more than the actual writing. This was a memoir written by a woman who was formally a fundamentalist Christian and her movement away from her faith. I felt that a lot was lacking and found I had many questions at the end, such as what happened to her family and what her faith looks like now. I don't know who I'd recommend this to. It made for a really interesting book club.
Gloria
A guileless memoir without any shades of bitterness over her past-- an honest look back.
Asiah
May 17, 2013 Asiah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: faith
Popnfresh Dudley
It was interesting to read about someone going from secular, to fanatic, and back to secular. Carolyn really found a niche, for a time, in the world of a church that constantly questions your faith. While her disenfranchisement seemed organic, I would have like to have seen that more fleshed out. The book sleeve mentioned that she was questioning more, but I didn't get a feel for that as much as she seemed to feel that she wanted something more.

I also would have liked to have heard more about h...more
Katie Devorah
I didn't fully understand the story she was trying to tell. It was more a memoir of a marriage she was unhappy in then losing her religion.
Sarah Rice
I really enjoyed this book. I think it gives a pretty honest look into the world of fundamentalist Christianity. It is well written and thoughtful. I might have enjoyed more analysis, but I guess it is just a memoir and not a scholarly work... This is currently a movie that is out (only in select cities/theaters, it seems), directed by and starring Vera Farmiga called Higher Ground. I'm eager to see the movie adaptation.

Here's a quote that comes toward the end of the book to which I am particula...more
Allison
Jun 07, 2013 Allison rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Allison by: Book Club (Amy)
Shelves: book-club
3.5

Very interesting. Made me uncomfortable in lots of spots. Helped me to understand some people. Reminded me of old things. I enjoyed the first 1/3 the best and the 2/3 a lot. Last portion left me feeling a little dry and it turns out that, according to an article, the ending sound different than it was in her real life. Good discussion for Book Club, for sure.
David Henry
A terrific and honest book about finding yourself in born-again Christianity and the personal travel that took her to a new, more independent and thoughtful place. Loved it.
Nathan
A personal and thoughtful memoir describing the Briggs' experience in a fundamentalist evangelical congregation.
Sandy
would recommend this for book groups, especially those in christian circles.
Susann
Oct 13, 2011 Susann marked it as to-read
Really liked Higher Ground, the movie that this is based on.
Sam Kyle
Sam Kyle marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Paulo Muller
Paulo Muller marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Niobe Ash
Niobe Ash marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Elizabeth Warren
Elizabeth Warren marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Trisha
Trisha marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2013
Julie W
Julie W marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013
Olga
Olga marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2013
Sharon
Sharon added it
Sep 28, 2013
Jeff Childers
Jeff Childers marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
Mary Rank
Mary Rank marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2013
Bevin
Bevin marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2013
Kelli
Kelli marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2013