Start by marking “An Introduction to the New Testament: Contexts, Methods & Ministry Formation” as Want to Read:
An Introduction to the New Testament: Contexts, Methods & Ministry Formation

An Introduction to the New Testament: Contexts, Methods & Ministry Formation

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  6 reviews
A 2005 Gold Medallion finalist! Some introductions to the New Testament highlight the historical contexts in which the New Testament literature was written. This introduction gives particular attention to the social, cultural and rhetorical contexts of the New Testament authors and their writings. Few introductions to the New Testament integrate instruction in exegetical a ...more
Published April 8th 2004 by IVP Academic

To ask other readers questions about An Introduction to the New Testament, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Introduction to the New Testament

Paul Dubuc
I've had the great pleasure of being one of Dr. deSilva's students at Ashland Seminary and the somewhat lesser pleasure of having read nearly every chapter in this book in the process. The main weakness in this book is in the editing. The writing could be more concise and clear in many places. This makes it difficult to read from cover to cover, but presents less of a problem when using the book as a reference. It almost seems as if each chapter was written to stand on its own. Many of the same ...more
Charlene
Up front, I will say that I know the author of this textbook and that I taught several terms of Introduction to the New Testament [Gospels], using this book as one of the required texts in the seminary where Professor deSilva also teaches.

Having said this, I want to say that this is absolutely the best textbook that I know as an introduction to any New Testament course, and I highly recommend it for pastors, interested laypersons, seminarians, and all who want more than just the bare scholarly "
Julius McCarter
By far one of the best introductory texts for New Testament available. I've used it often with courses and found it a very helpful reference resource for sermons.
Nicholas Ahern
A helpful introduction. Tempered, reasonable, missional, critical. Quite good.
Karla
I have read several New Testament intro books, but this is the best, thus far. It is highly readable, with "technical" exegetical sections in addition to the main text. It is an extensive volume, full of insight and information.
Jason
Useful. Although I do not share the author's presuppositions in some cases, this book brings to the discussion some issues neglected by older NT Introductions.
Jan Wouter
Jan Wouter is currently reading it
Dec 15, 2014
Kassidy
Kassidy marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Euna Cho
Euna Cho marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Chris
Chris is currently reading it
Sep 11, 2014
Christopher Goins
Christopher Goins marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Daniel Christie
Daniel Christie marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Andrew Nedelchev
Andrew Nedelchev is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2014
Randy
Randy marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Geovanie S.
Geovanie S. marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Robert Martin
Robert Martin marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Dr. Z
Dr. Z added it
Jul 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
David A. deSilva (PhD, Emory University) is Trustees’ Distinguished Professor of New Testament and Greek at Ashland Theological Seminary in Ashland, Ohio. His numerous books include Introducing the Apocrypha and An Introduction to the New Testament: Contexts, Methods, and Ministry Formation.
More about David A. Desilva...
Sacramental Life: Spiritual Formation Through the Book of Common Prayer Introducing the Apocrypha: Message, Context, and Significance Unholy Allegiances: Heeding Revelation's Warning The Hope of Glory: Honor Discourse and New Testament Interpretation 4 Maccabees