Start by marking “An Introduction to the New Testament: Contexts, Methods & Ministry Formation” as Want to Read:
An Introduction to the New Testament: Contexts, Methods & Ministry Formation

An Introduction to the New Testament: Contexts, Methods & Ministry Formation

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A 2005 Gold Medallion finalist! Some introductions to the New Testament highlight the historical contexts in which the New Testament literature was written. This introduction gives particular attention to the social, cultural and rhetorical contexts of the New Testament authors and their writings. Few introductions to the New Testament integrate instruction in exegetical a ...more
Published April 8th 2004 by IVP Academic

To ask other readers questions about An Introduction to the New Testament, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Introduction to the New Testament

Paul Dubuc
I've had the great pleasure of being one of Dr. deSilva's students at Ashland Seminary and the somewhat lesser pleasure of having read nearly every chapter in this book in the process. The main weakness in this book is in the editing. The writing could be more concise and clear in many places. This makes it difficult to read from cover to cover, but presents less of a problem when using the book as a reference. It almost seems as if each chapter was written to stand on its own. Many of the same ...more
Charlene
Up front, I will say that I know the author of this textbook and that I taught several terms of Introduction to the New Testament [Gospels], using this book as one of the required texts in the seminary where Professor deSilva also teaches.

Having said this, I want to say that this is absolutely the best textbook that I know as an introduction to any New Testament course, and I highly recommend it for pastors, interested laypersons, seminarians, and all who want more than just the bare scholarly "
Andy Hickman
Comprehensive resource for both historical context and pastoral response.

DeSilva, David. An Introduction to the New Testament: Contexts, Methods & Ministry Formation. Downers Grove, Ill.: InterVarsity Press, 2004.

Julius McCarter
By far one of the best introductory texts for New Testament available. I've used it often with courses and found it a very helpful reference resource for sermons.
Glyn Williams
Easy read with fresh insights into the New Testament.

Don't agree with everything in this book, but there are many things that shed light on the New Testament. A very balanced approach to criticisms and research, with personal beliefs of the author.

Well worth the read.
Nicholas Quient
A helpful introduction. Tempered, reasonable, missional, critical. Quite good.
Karla
I have read several New Testament intro books, but this is the best, thus far. It is highly readable, with "technical" exegetical sections in addition to the main text. It is an extensive volume, full of insight and information.
Jason
Useful. Although I do not share the author's presuppositions in some cases, this book brings to the discussion some issues neglected by older NT Introductions.
Daniel Varone
Daniel Varone marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Bob Clanton
Bob Clanton is currently reading it
Jul 15, 2015
Joe Westbrook
Joe Westbrook marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Edmundleungs
Edmundleungs marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Kenneth Davis
Kenneth Davis is currently reading it
May 30, 2015
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Virginia Beam
Virginia Beam marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Sameh Maher
Sameh Maher marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Victor
Victor marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
David A. deSilva (PhD, Emory University) is Trustees’ Distinguished Professor of New Testament and Greek at Ashland Theological Seminary in Ashland, Ohio. His numerous books include Introducing the Apocrypha and An Introduction to the New Testament: Contexts, Methods, and Ministry Formation.
More about David A. Desilva...
Sacramental Life: Spiritual Formation Through the Book of Common Prayer Introducing the Apocrypha: Message, Context, and Significance Day of Atonement: A Novel of the Maccabean Revolt Unholy Allegiances: Heeding Revelation's Warning The Jewish Teachers of Jesus, James, and Jude: What Earliest Christianity Learned from the Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha