Start by marking “Following the Mystery Man” as Want to Read:
Following the Mystery Man

Following the Mystery Man

The StrangerHe was busy reading the drugstore bulletin board when Madigan first saw him. He sure was good looking! His hair was dark and he had a full beard with a mustache that curled up on the ends and hid his mouth, just as his silver sunglasses hid his eyes. Then he walked right up to the soda fountain where Madigan and her friend Angie were sipping cherry Cokes, and a ...more
Published September 1st 1989 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1988)

Linda
Jun 25, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
Mary Downing Hahn has a way with writing stories and drawing the reader into the plot. This quick and easy read is an intriguing mystery for mid-grade readers.

12 year-old Madigan Maloney lives in a quiet little Maryland town with her grandmother, who runs a boarding house to make ends meet. Her mother died when she was very young, of cancer, but grandmother says she got cancer because of a broken-heart when Madigan's dad left her. Madigan was only a baby then. She knows nothing about her father
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 STARS

"The Stranger he was busy reading the drugstore bulletin board when Madigan first saw him. He sure was good looking! His hair was dark and he had a full beard with a mustache that curled up on the ends and hid his mouth, just as his silver sunglasses hid his eyes. Then he walked right up to the soda fountain where Madigan and her friend Angie were sipping cherry Cokes, and asked for directions to Madigan's house! Now the handsome "mystery man" is renting a room in her very own home -- an
April Suter
Oct 05, 2012 April Suter rated it liked it
Retro read. "Life is so weird, sometimes I wonder if I understand anything." page 180
Madigan lives with her grandmother who rents out rooms in her home. Clint, a handsome man in his thirties, appears in town and rents a room. Madigan so much considers the possibility that he is her father, but as a fan of the Miss Marple mysteries she searches for the truth and trouble.

180 pages
Kyra
Sep 15, 2008 Kyra rated it liked it
It was so predictable whose father was whose, it was a bore to read. I saw everything coming up before the girl did. I knew the plot by about Chapter 5. The kidnapping part was nice though, but I saw it coming.
Aeron
Oct 17, 2008 Aeron rated it it was amazing
Another one of my all-time favorite MDH books. I loved the combination of small town sensibility and big-city mystery that defined the story, and the characters as always were multifaceted. I loved this book so much that I constructed a mini-Hilltop for one of my 7th grade English projects.
Mary Bronson
Aug 16, 2015 Mary Bronson rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a good book. I enjoyed reading it. Growing up I loved reading her books but I did not read them all so I am starting to the ones I have not read. I liked Madigan as a character. Sometimes she did get on my nerves but then granted she is 12
Christie
Mar 08, 2014 Christie rated it liked it
I like to throw a YA novel into the mix every once in awhile. This was a fun read - it didn't shock me, or leave me with any incredible revelations, but I'm not sorry I read it. I would read another book by this author.
Ke
Jun 02, 2012 Ke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an easy read that I found fun and surprising. While I concede that it is no Faulkner, I recommend it to any young adult looking for an enjoyable summer book.
Joanie Rich
Aug 29, 2007 Joanie Rich rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young girls
One of my absolute favorite authors from my childhood -- and this one is my favorite of all her books. I swear I read this one at least 3 or 4 times.
Rachel
Apr 24, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it
A seemingly benevolent stranger is stripped bare in this book, and the protagonist must move past her childhood fancies in order to survive.
Eve
Jul 01, 2009 Eve rated it it was amazing
this book is one of the best books I've ever read. All her other books are really good also, but this one is the best!
Tabitha Murray
Tabitha Murray rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2008
Tooba
Tooba rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2014
Cassie
Cassie rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2008
Nell
Nell rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Rebecca Rodgers
Rebecca Rodgers rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2011
Jae
Jae rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2012
Megan Horner
Megan Horner rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2011
Meghana
Meghana rated it it was ok
Jun 07, 2016
KT Condor
KT Condor rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2011
Lina
Lina rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2008
Kristyn
Kristyn rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2009
Leah
Leah rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2009
Kaylee
Kaylee rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2009
Monica
Monica rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2015
Abby
Abby rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2014
Dorothy
Dorothy rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2011
Lara
Lara rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2012
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2007
Laura rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Ghost Cadet
  • Ghost Light on Graveyard Shoal (American Girl History Mysteries, #21)
  • The Pike River Phantom
  • The Ghost Of The Chattering Bones (The Boxcar Children, #102)
  • The Glass House People
  • A Night to Remember (Sweet Valley High, Magna Edition)
  • The Girl in the Box
  • Baby-Sitting Is a Dangerous Job
  • The Smoky Corridor (Haunted Mystery #3)
  • The Third Eye
  • Anastasia's Chosen Career (Anastasia Krupnik, #7)
  • The Blue Door (Quilt Trilogy, #3)
  • Emma's Journal: The Story of a Colonial Girl (Young American Voices, #2)
  • Nasty, Stinky Sneakers
  • Scooby-Doo! and the Farmyard Fright
  • Hair: Styling Tips and Tricks for Girls (American Girl Library)
I grew up in a small shingled house down at the end of Guilford Road in College Park, Maryland. Our block was loaded with kids my age. We spent hours outdoors playing "Kick the Can" and "Mother, May I" as well as cowboy and outlaw games that usually ended in quarrels about who shot whom. In the summer, we went on day long expeditions into forbidden territory -- the woods on the other side of the t ...more
More about Mary Downing Hahn...