Start by marking “Following the Mystery Man” as Want to Read:
Following the Mystery Man

Following the Mystery Man

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The StrangerHe was busy reading the drugstore bulletin board when Madigan first saw him. He sure was good looking! His hair was dark and he had a full beard with a mustache that curled up on the ends and hid his mouth, just as his silver sunglasses hid his eyes. Then he walked right up to the soda fountain where Madigan and her friend Angie were sipping cherry Cokes, and a ...more
Published September 1st 1989 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Following the Mystery Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Following the Mystery Man

Linda
Mary Downing Hahn has a way with writing stories and drawing the reader into the plot. This quick and easy read is an intriguing mystery for mid-grade readers.

12 year-old Madigan Maloney lives in a quiet little Maryland town with her grandmother, who runs a boarding house to make ends meet. Her mother died when she was very young, of cancer, but grandmother says she got cancer because of a broken-heart when Madigan's dad left her. Madigan was only a baby then. She knows nothing about her father
Christie
I like to throw a YA novel into the mix every once in awhile. This was a fun read - it didn't shock me, or leave me with any incredible revelations, but I'm not sorry I read it. I would read another book by this author.
Kris
4 STARS

"The Stranger he was busy reading the drugstore bulletin board when Madigan first saw him. He sure was good looking! His hair was dark and he had a full beard with a mustache that curled up on the ends and hid his mouth, just as his silver sunglasses hid his eyes. Then he walked right up to the soda fountain where Madigan and her friend Angie were sipping cherry Cokes, and asked for directions to Madigan's house! Now the handsome "mystery man" is renting a room in her very own home -- an
Emily Brown
Predictable, but still pretty good.
April Suter
Retro read. "Life is so weird, sometimes I wonder if I understand anything." page 180
Madigan lives with her grandmother who rents out rooms in her home. Clint, a handsome man in his thirties, appears in town and rents a room. Madigan so much considers the possibility that he is her father, but as a fan of the Miss Marple mysteries she searches for the truth and trouble.

180 pages
Aeron
Another one of my all-time favorite MDH books. I loved the combination of small town sensibility and big-city mystery that defined the story, and the characters as always were multifaceted. I loved this book so much that I constructed a mini-Hilltop for one of my 7th grade English projects.
Kyra
It was so predictable whose father was whose, it was a bore to read. I saw everything coming up before the girl did. I knew the plot by about Chapter 5. The kidnapping part was nice though, but I saw it coming.
Ke Huang
This is an easy read that I found fun and surprising. While I concede that it is no Faulkner, I recommend it to any young adult looking for an enjoyable summer book.
Rachel
A seemingly benevolent stranger is stripped bare in this book, and the protagonist must move past her childhood fancies in order to survive.
Joanie Rich
Aug 29, 2007 Joanie Rich rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young girls
One of my absolute favorite authors from my childhood -- and this one is my favorite of all her books. I swear I read this one at least 3 or 4 times.
Eve
this book is one of the best books I've ever read. All her other books are really good also, but this one is the best!
Lola
this is a very good book so far
Shugufa
Full of cliffhangers and really creepy and suspenseful, but good as a whole.
Kayla D
Interesting. Stuck a bit in the 80s but still a good read.
«╬♥Tracy♥╬«
didnt see the ending coming
Marcy Dekruger
Marcy Dekruger marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Eriana
Eriana marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
AveryWU
AveryWU marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Hannah Boyd
Hannah Boyd marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Amber
Amber added it
Nov 14, 2014
Zoë
Zoë added it
Nov 06, 2014
Rebecca Sanders
Rebecca Sanders marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
lee johnson
lee johnson marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Ghost Cadet
  • The Pike River Phantom
  • The Ghost Of The Chattering Bones (The Boxcar Children, #102)
  • Traitor: The Case of Benedict Arnold
  • The Girl in the Box
  • A Night to Remember (Sweet Valley High, Magna Edition)
  • Pigs Might Fly
  • The Glass House People
  • Cat in the Crypt (Animal Ark Hauntings #2)
  • The Third Eye
  • The Smoky Corridor (Haunted Mystery #3)
  • The Blue Door (Quilt Trilogy, #3)
  • Search for the Shadowman
  • Skinnybones
  • Anastasia's Chosen Career (Anastasia Krupnik, #7)
I grew up in a small shingled house down at the end of Guilford Road in College Park, Maryland. Our block was loaded with kids my age. We spent hours outdoors playing "Kick the Can" and "Mother, May I" as well as cowboy and outlaw games that usually ended in quarrels about who shot whom. In the summer, we went on day long expeditions into forbidden territory -- the woods on the other side of the t ...more
More about Mary Downing Hahn...
Wait Till Helen Comes Deep and Dark and Dangerous (A Ghost Story) All the Lovely Bad Ones The Old Willis Place The Doll in the Garden