Start by marking “The Ice Child” as Want to Read:
The Ice Child

The Ice Child

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  321 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
When Jo Harper falls in love with maverick archaeologist Doug Marshall, she also falls into Doug's obsession: the disappearance of the Franklin Expedition in 1845. But to truly follow her heart, Jo must retrace the uncharted trail that has claimed so many lives-not for glory or fame, but for love.
Published October 1st 2002 by Onyx (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Ice Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ice Child

Elaine
Feb 17, 2012 Elaine rated it really liked it
A fast moving, dual time frame novel, which alternates beween an Antarctic exploration expedition, and the present day dilemna of one of the protagonists who must contact one of the academics concerned with researching the expedition-as a matter of life or death.

The novel really wins as it is graphic and poetic in the way it dealas with the hostile and barren landscape-and also in describing the depths of despair and anguish suffered by so many of the characters for one reason or another.

I must
P.A. Pursley
I have always been fascinated by the John Franklin Exhibition to find the Northwest Passage since reading Dan Simmons' book "The Terror." I picked up this book because it was also about someone obsessed with the ships and the men of that exhibition. Elizabeth McGregor paints a beautiful story of two children suffering through impossible circumstances: one aboard the Terror and one set in today's time. It was a beautifully written story and one I will read again. If you like history and stories o ...more
Francoise
Sep 19, 2015 Francoise rated it it was ok
The Ice Child shifts back and forth in time between the doomed Franklin expedition to find a Northwest Passage and the life of a modern-day writer who falls in love with a man obsessed with finding the traces of the Franklin expedition, then has a baby who can only be saved by a bone marrow transplant from the man's son who has carried on the father's obsession and is himself lost in the arctic. Oh and there's a polar bear who also travels in the arctic with her cub.

As you might imagine, who exa
Cdoming3
Sep 30, 2015 Cdoming3 rated it really liked it
What a fascinating book. At first, I couldn't tell what it was - comedy, drama, suspense… but the stories (at least three that I can identify) are interwoven beautifully and I fall in love with each story as a new chapter begins. It tells the story of an arctic expedition it the 1800's, a modern day, love story and several others interwoven throughput. I highly recommend it.
Brandy
Aug 17, 2015 Brandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reads
A flawless must read! It's like having 3 Stories In one that intermingle nicely. Travel through time & go on a journey full of unknowns. If you like winter, travel, family, exploring, or need a vacation from a busy sched this book is your destination!
Gerry
Apr 14, 2016 Gerry rated it liked it
A modern-day romance develops with unexpected rapidity between an Arctic explorer and a journalist sent out to cover a story. That story is interspersed with the tale of Franklin’s ill-fated quest for the Northwest Passage in the mid-1800’s and a series of cute but puzzling vignettes about a female polar bear and her cub. Enjoyable reading, very touching in parts, but somehow does not all hang together as well as it might.
Rhonda Pumphrey
Sep 18, 2012 Rhonda Pumphrey rated it really liked it
I really, really liked this book, more than I expected really. There are really 3 different stories going on here, and while I do not think that the "modern" story concerning Jo, Sam and family could necessarily stand on its own and be as interesting to me, it was an interesting thread throughout the novel. I DO think the author did a really good job humanizing the crew of the ill-fated Franklin Arctic Exploration of 1845. The author admittedly puts it out there in the final note that a good por ...more
Lisa
Jun 18, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
I enjoyed this book very much. It seemed to be researched very well and the descritions of locations and expeditions that occurred made me feel as though I were there. I liked hearing about how explorers of those days had to deal with the terrain and extreme weather conditions. How they sacrificed so much for the knowledge that we now have today. While this novel is a work of fiction a lot of the details of the arctic exploration was rooted in real facts. The book reflected back and forth betwee ...more
Hazel McHaffie
Nov 09, 2011 Hazel McHaffie rated it liked it
When reporter Jo Harper falls in love with archaeologist Doug Marshall, she also becomes absorbed by his obsession: the disappearance of the Franklin Expedition in 1845. But when her son develops a potentially fatal blood disorder and needs a transplant, the race to discover more about the past and its consequences becomes much more urgent. I bought this because of the medical element but actually found the historical component more interesting. At times the constant swing from tragedies in the ...more
Punk
Apr 04, 2010 Punk rated it did not like it
Man, I am on a roll with picking up books that jump around in time, have dozens of characters, and bore me to death.

This novel is nominally about Arctic explorers (The Franklin Expedition trying to find the North-West Passage! Modern explorers trying to find the remains of the Franklin Expedition!), but it's also about a journalist and a polar bear and a photographer and the kid of one of the explorers and yet none of them have any personality. The third person omniscient is sloppy, the characte
Belinda
Aug 26, 2015 Belinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roman
Roman in twee delen. Eerste deel gaat over twee mensen los van elkaar. Het tweede deel van de weduwe van een man. Een weduwe met een zoontje die dringend de hulp van zijn half broer nodig heeft. Maar na het ongeluk van zijn vader is hij spoorloos verdwenen. Zullen ze hem op tijd vinden. Ontroerend op zijn tijd. Veel humor en mooie beschrijvingen.
Naiara Abraira
Apr 10, 2016 Naiara Abraira rated it it was ok
Lo leí hace mucho tiempo, pero recuerdo que lloré y que una parte de la historia me gustó más que la otra.
Janice Kenefick
Jan 24, 2013 Janice Kenefick rated it really liked it
A thoroughly enjoyable and compelling read with three plots! An amazing feat to pull it all together. The author alternates the present day protagonist's quest to save her child with a running account of the Franklin expedition, told by a 16-year-old sailor and the story of a mother polar bear’s dedication to her cub. The descriptions and narrative made me feel like I was there in each one. When the book first came out, the polar bear story seemed the least of the three plots but on re-reading i ...more
Chelsea Humphrey
Feb 13, 2014 Chelsea Humphrey rated it really liked it
Very good, pretty intense, takes you into an interesting historical time.
Anke
Mar 27, 2016 Anke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Een heel mooi boek. De verhaallijnen lopen goed door elkaar.
Haleth
Perchè ho comprato questo libro?

Mi capita più spesso di quanto vorrei di commentare di alcuni libri che una buona trama è stata rovinata da una resa non all'altezza, ma qui no, qui fa schifo pure la trama. Abbandonato.
Cindee
Aug 02, 2014 Cindee added it
very good
Pbwritr
Feb 09, 2010 Pbwritr rated it it was ok
Quite an interesting book. A famous scholar/explorer goes missing. A reporter interviews his family and eventually falls in love with him when he's found. Intertwined with the current story is the past history of the ship that disappeared that the explorer was trying to find, and that his son wants to find to prove himself to his dad. All kinds of family dysfunction in the present. Weirdly interspersed with chapters about a polar bear and a cub--not needed.
Poppy Fields
May 06, 2009 Poppy Fields rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
I thought this book was brilliant. I picked it up on a whim and couldn't put it down. I am not a big history fan but I learned so much about the Franklin Expedition from this book and found it facinating. I loved the way she weaves the past and present together so seamlessly in the story. The characters are so well developed and likable. I thought the whole premise was really clever and I highly recommend this book. It is great on audio as well.
Debbie Stanley
Apr 28, 2014 Debbie Stanley rated it liked it
It was a little difficult to read. It was kind of three stories in one. The ending made it all come together but I found it a little confusing at times.
Barbara ★
Jan 28, 2010 Barbara ★ rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the first half of this book detailing the arctic exploration and the polar bear seemingly following them. When the second half unexpectedly morphed into a fight to save a 2 year old's life from a rare life-threatening disease worse than Leukemia, I completely lost interest. Don't get me wrong, the book is okay but I tend to stay away from these topics as they are way to depressing to be reading for pleasure.
Felicia
Jul 23, 2011 Felicia rated it it was amazing
i read this book at the same time i started Deception Point & found it interesting that both books had an arctic theme...this was not intentional on my point, but created an interesting focal point for me as i would flip flop back and forth between the two every few chapters. i found this to be heartfelt and also fascinating from a historical stand point ~
Kim
May 14, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it
I read the readers digest version so it was just cut down to the essentials. Toward the end I was really wishing that I'd waited and read the whole book. There are essentially 3 related stories being told throughout the book and the author sometime makes the parallels between the stories too blatent but over all it was a great read.
Becky
Nov 29, 2010 Becky rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-thriller
VERY unusual, unique. Three stories told (one based on a factual account of The Franklin Expedition's hunt for the Northwest Passage)interspersed. It was a bit hard for me to get "into" the book, but I persisted and found myself engrossed---particularly in the adventures and fate of The Franklin. Incredible.
Kathleen Dixon
Dec 26, 2007 Kathleen Dixon rated it really liked it
This is a lovely interweaving of a modern story of love found and lost and a child born of it, with an expedition in the 1840s to find the north-west passage. There's also a polar bear who has been tracked for 3 years, and a gradual link of that story with the rest of the modern story.
Jan
May 14, 2010 Jan rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-copy, historical
A well written, well researched narrative that manages its story from present day to the 1845 disappearance of the Franklin expedition without too much whiplash. Admittedly, I was more enthralled by her telling of the artic expedition and trials they faced.
Karen
Jul 31, 2012 Karen rated it liked it
Charity book shop buy. The story was a bit thin but I really enjoyed the history lesson about Capn Sir John Franklin. I am a huge fan of Ernest Shackleton, Amundsen and Scott but didn't know much about Franklin. I will soon cos I bought a book :o)
Claire
Dec 03, 2008 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read for the Franklin Expedition freak. Intersperses a fictional, contemporary plot with authentic historical details. Well written, hard to put down.
Michaela
Jul 26, 2009 Michaela rated it really liked it
I can't put my finger on why exactly I enjoyed this book. I was intrueged with the Terror (ship) aspect of it escpeciallly. Good read!
Hani Yudianti
baru baca sampai chapter 5. deskripsinya detail banget. kadang suka ikut 'kedinginan' membayangkan bagamana bekunya kutub utara itu.
  • Saints of Big Harbour
  • The Lazarus Child
  • Risky Surrender (Take a Risk, #2)
  • The King's Name (Tir Tanagiri, #2)
  • The Happy Ever Afterlife of Rosie Potter (RIP)
  • Picture Maker
  • Instances of the Number 3
  • A Secret Alchemy
  • Her Secret, His Surprise
  • The World, the Flesh and the Devil
  • Secrets of the Kingdom: The Inside Story of the Saudi-U.S. Connection
  • Met het bloed van mijn hart deel 1 (Outlander, #8)
  • A Thing of Beauty
  • Zes sterren
  • Eager to Please
  • Letters from War: A Novel
  • Even Steven
  • Suspicion
______

Elizabeth McGregor is a pseudonym for Elizabeth Cooke. She also writes as Holly Fox.
More about Elizabeth McGregor...