Start by marking “The Ice Child” as Want to Read:
The Ice Child

The Ice Child

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  271 ratings  ·  30 reviews
When Jo Harper falls in love with maverick archaeologist Doug Marshall, she also falls into Doug's obsession: the disappearance of the Franklin Expedition in 1845. But to truly follow her heart, Jo must retrace the uncharted trail that has claimed so many lives-not for glory or fame, but for love.
Published October 1st 2002 by Onyx (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Ice Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ice Child

The Lovely Bones by Alice SeboldBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerThe Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim EdwardsWicked by Gregory MaguireThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Wall Bangers!
488th out of 549 books — 447 voters

More lists with this book...

Elaine
A fast moving, dual time frame novel, which alternates beween an Antarctic exploration expedition, and the present day dilemna of one of the protagonists who must contact one of the academics concerned with researching the expedition-as a matter of life or death.

The novel really wins as it is graphic and poetic in the way it dealas with the hostile and barren landscape-and also in describing the depths of despair and anguish suffered by so many of the characters for one reason or another.

I must
Rhonda Pumphrey
I really, really liked this book, more than I expected really. There are really 3 different stories going on here, and while I do not think that the "modern" story concerning Jo, Sam and family could necessarily stand on its own and be as interesting to me, it was an interesting thread throughout the novel. I DO think the author did a really good job humanizing the crew of the ill-fated Franklin Arctic Exploration of 1845. The author admittedly puts it out there in the final note that a good por ...more
Lisa
I enjoyed this book very much. It seemed to be researched very well and the descritions of locations and expeditions that occurred made me feel as though I were there. I liked hearing about how explorers of those days had to deal with the terrain and extreme weather conditions. How they sacrificed so much for the knowledge that we now have today. While this novel is a work of fiction a lot of the details of the arctic exploration was rooted in real facts. The book reflected back and forth betwee ...more
Hazel McHaffie
When reporter Jo Harper falls in love with archaeologist Doug Marshall, she also becomes absorbed by his obsession: the disappearance of the Franklin Expedition in 1845. But when her son develops a potentially fatal blood disorder and needs a transplant, the race to discover more about the past and its consequences becomes much more urgent. I bought this because of the medical element but actually found the historical component more interesting. At times the constant swing from tragedies in the ...more
Punk
Man, I am on a roll with picking up books that jump around in time, have dozens of characters, and bore me to death.

This novel is nominally about Arctic explorers (The Franklin Expedition trying to find the North-West Passage! Modern explorers trying to find the remains of the Franklin Expedition!), but it's also about a journalist and a polar bear and a photographer and the kid of one of the explorers and yet none of them have any personality. The third person omniscient is sloppy, the characte
Janice Kenefick
A thoroughly enjoyable and compelling read with three plots! An amazing feat to pull it all together. The author alternates the present day protagonist's quest to save her child with a running account of the Franklin expedition, told by a 16-year-old sailor and the story of a mother polar bear’s dedication to her cub. The descriptions and narrative made me feel like I was there in each one. When the book first came out, the polar bear story seemed the least of the three plots but on re-reading i ...more
Chelsea Humphrey
Very good, pretty intense, takes you into an interesting historical time.
Cindee
Aug 02, 2014 Cindee added it
very good
Pbwritr
Quite an interesting book. A famous scholar/explorer goes missing. A reporter interviews his family and eventually falls in love with him when he's found. Intertwined with the current story is the past history of the ship that disappeared that the explorer was trying to find, and that his son wants to find to prove himself to his dad. All kinds of family dysfunction in the present. Weirdly interspersed with chapters about a polar bear and a cub--not needed.
Poppy Fields
I thought this book was brilliant. I picked it up on a whim and couldn't put it down. I am not a big history fan but I learned so much about the Franklin Expedition from this book and found it facinating. I loved the way she weaves the past and present together so seamlessly in the story. The characters are so well developed and likable. I thought the whole premise was really clever and I highly recommend this book. It is great on audio as well.
Debbie Stanley
It was a little difficult to read. It was kind of three stories in one. The ending made it all come together but I found it a little confusing at times.
Barbara ★
I enjoyed the first half of this book detailing the arctic exploration and the polar bear seemingly following them. When the second half unexpectedly morphed into a fight to save a 2 year old's life from a rare life-threatening disease worse than Leukemia, I completely lost interest. Don't get me wrong, the book is okay but I tend to stay away from these topics as they are way to depressing to be reading for pleasure.
Felicia
i read this book at the same time i started Deception Point & found it interesting that both books had an arctic theme...this was not intentional on my point, but created an interesting focal point for me as i would flip flop back and forth between the two every few chapters. i found this to be heartfelt and also fascinating from a historical stand point ~
Kim
I read the readers digest version so it was just cut down to the essentials. Toward the end I was really wishing that I'd waited and read the whole book. There are essentially 3 related stories being told throughout the book and the author sometime makes the parallels between the stories too blatent but over all it was a great read.
Becky
VERY unusual, unique. Three stories told (one based on a factual account of The Franklin Expedition's hunt for the Northwest Passage)interspersed. It was a bit hard for me to get "into" the book, but I persisted and found myself engrossed---particularly in the adventures and fate of The Franklin. Incredible.
Kathleen Dixon
This is a lovely interweaving of a modern story of love found and lost and a child born of it, with an expedition in the 1840s to find the north-west passage. There's also a polar bear who has been tracked for 3 years, and a gradual link of that story with the rest of the modern story.
Jan
A well written, well researched narrative that manages its story from present day to the 1845 disappearance of the Franklin expedition without too much whiplash. Admittedly, I was more enthralled by her telling of the artic expedition and trials they faced.
Karen
Charity book shop buy. The story was a bit thin but I really enjoyed the history lesson about Capn Sir John Franklin. I am a huge fan of Ernest Shackleton, Amundsen and Scott but didn't know much about Franklin. I will soon cos I bought a book :o)
Claire
A good read for the Franklin Expedition freak. Intersperses a fictional, contemporary plot with authentic historical details. Well written, hard to put down.
Michaela
I can't put my finger on why exactly I enjoyed this book. I was intrueged with the Terror (ship) aspect of it escpeciallly. Good read!
Hani Yudianti
baru baca sampai chapter 5. deskripsinya detail banget. kadang suka ikut 'kedinginan' membayangkan bagamana bekunya kutub utara itu.
Jenn Dunn
Although fiction, it has an underlying element of a true (and tragic) nautical expedition of the arctic.
Carolynne
Contemporary Arctic adventure alternates with the narrative of a perticipant in a failed expedition.
Sarah-eve
You can tell a lot of research went into this book, which intertwined three stories into one.
Antje
Two different stories in one book. Found it difficult to connect between the two most times.
Verity
It was a well written and very beautiful story.
Chris
Mar 27, 2013 Chris added it
Ned. Titel: het ijskind
Cindy
Sep 04, 2011 Cindy added it
still reading.
  • The Lazarus Child
  • Saints of Big Harbour
  • The King's Name (Tir Tanagiri, #2)
  • Instances of the Number 3
  • Picture Maker
  • A Secret Alchemy
  • The Birthday Boys
  • Rebel Ice (Stardoc, #6)
  • Finding You/Knowing You
  • On Bear Mountain
  • Redemption Blues
  • Fortress of Ice (Fortress, #5)
  • Op weg naar het einde
  • The Tricking of Freya: A Novel
  • Winnie's War
  • Teeth - The Epic Novel with Bite (Vol. 1, The South Pacific Trilogy)
  • We Love You, Snoopy (Peanuts Coronet, #19)
  • The Angel Knight (Faulkener Family, #1)
______

Elizabeth McGregor is a pseudonym for Elizabeth Cooke. She also writes as Holly Fox.
More about Elizabeth McGregor...
The Girl in the Green Glass Mirror A Road Through the Mountains Learning By Heart Little White Lies Out Of Reach