The Superman Chronicles, Vol. 1

The Superman Chronicles, Vol. 1 (The Superman Chronicles #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  275 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Presenting an exciting new way to experience the rich history of the Man of Steel -- affordable trade paperback collection that will ultimately collect every Superman adventure, in color, in chronological order!THE SUPERMAN CHRONICLES VOL. 1 reprints the earliest stories from ACTION COMICS and SUPERMAN, featuring the first several adventures of the Man of Steel by Superman...more
Published January 4th 2006 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Superman Chronicles, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Superman Chronicles, Vol. 1

Jessica's Seduction by Darren G. BurtonThe Quantum Thief by Hannu RajaniemiDivergent by Veronica RothThe Moon Dwellers by David EstesAstonishing X-Men, Vol. 1 by Joss Whedon
Series You Started in 2013
41st out of 49 books — 6 voters
Astonishing X-Men Omnibus by Joss WhedonEssential X-Men, Vol. 1 by Chris ClaremontEssential Classic X-Men, Vol. 1 by Stan LeeBatman by Alan MooreEssential Spider-Man by Stan Lee
Best Superhero/Supervillain Comics
22nd out of 22 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Adam Graham
This story tracks Superman's first fifteen stories beginning with Action Comic #1 through Action Comics #13 and also includes the New York World's Fair Comics #1 story and a few pages that Superman #1 added to its reprints of the stories in Action Comics #1-#4.

These fourteen stories features Superman as defender of the weak against a variety of foes including munitions dealers who Jerry Siegel charged with starting wars to line their own pockets, heartless mine owners, gangsters, and slum lords....more
Patrick
Recently read Batman Chronicles 1 and now I've read Superman Chronicles 1.

Superman, as originally imagined, is a fascinating figure: a sort of Super Marxist or anarchist, a fighter of "oppression" rather than a proponent to the "American way," as he seems indifferent or even hostile towards authority. Right at the start of Action Comics 1 Superman is bringing a wife-beater to justice, and in ensuing issues he is tackling big business and warmongers and con artists and even publicists who use the...more
Rich Meyer
The Superman Chronicles is an important book for a comic book collection for any true fan of the medium to read. But it may be a let down for a lot of people.

Now while these are obviously pioneering comic book stories - Superman was the first big-time super-hero - but these stories really, well, stink. Superman is a huge asshat in most of them, killing people right and left (and not during wartime where he might be able to justify it) , letting people get tortured, taking over peoples' lives wi...more
George
Wow. I grabbed this one, figuring that it would be a nice introduction for my son to the world of comics. I was never a big fan of mainstream comics in my youth ... I did read X-Men in the Eighties, and a little bit of Spiderman, but other than that, my teenage comics of choice were Chaos! (until they went monthly), which are very inappropriate for young children. In the end, while I enjoyed the earliest Superman stories, this collection turned out to be almost equally inappropriate.

Besides the...more
Sarah - Stuck in a Story
Oct 20, 2013 Sarah - Stuck in a Story rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Comic book readers
Well here’s a book I never thought I’d read! Thanks again to Children’s Literature for giving me new books to read! Yes, that’s right I had to read Superman for a university class and who knows I may have to write an essay on him!

One of the most interesting things about this edition was that it includes the early adventures of Superman in chronological order so I was able to start right from the beginning without being confused! It was also very interesting to see the original covers of the comi...more
Meaghan
Some old comic books are a very tough slog to get through so I wasn't sure what to expect from this collection of the first Superman stories from 1938. It turned out to be a great read. Superman is a crusader for justice for the little guy, fighting not supervillains but everyday bad guys like political lobbyists, mobsters, arms dealers, and employers who engage in bad labour practices. Basically, he's out there representing for the 99% and could easily be part of the Occupy Wall Street movement...more
David Horton
After reading the first chapter - the first issue of Action Comics, thus the first appearance of Superman - I found this book very easy to put down and leave down for long periods of time. The first issue has tremendous historical importance attached to it and reading it feels very much like doing one's duty if the reader is a true comic fan even if the comic itself does not amount to much. The following twelve chapters/issues improve in terms of story developement but that isn't saying much bec...more
Paul Riches
In 1938, the first adventure of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster’s creation Superman saw print.

And made us all believe a man could leap tall buildings in a single bound.

With the celebrations and festivities filling the Geek world this year for the 75th birthday of Superman, I decided some time ago to finally read my accumulation of Golden Age volumes featuring the Man Of Steel. A journey to the beginning of it all, just to get a feel for the unknown decades to come.

Starting with The Superman Chronic...more
Waller
Although I'm a big comic book fan from childhood, my childhood only goes back so far - so, while I've heard of most of the Golden Age heroes, I have only read a few of their stories. (Compare to Silver Age Marvel from 63-68 - if they published it, I read it.) DC's series of "Chronicles" (for Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and the Flash) offer an opportunity to see some of the early work, in (as the book covers say) the original order of publication.

A bit of a surprise, then, to read the early a...more
Mette Kowalski
So I'm having sort of a superhero kind-of phase right now, mainly in relation to our next podcast episode but I've really become a bit obsessed, and I decided to dive in to the actual comic books behind the movies. So far this is the first superhero sort of book/ comics I've read and I loved it. It's crazy to see Superman come to live at the beginnings of comic book culture itself, as one of (or the) first superhero(es) of all time. I like to see him change - he's a little less morally perfect i...more
Strike
I'm not a Superman fan (so I can't say I *liked* this book), but I'm interested in the history & development of comic book characters and stories.
I did find it interesting that there were no "supervillains" until A.C. #9--the rest were Superman "fighting against injustice". Things like slums, innocent people being in jail, prisoners being tortured, corrupt traffic cops.

Also, Superman's 'powers' (just incredulous strength, minor invulnerability, and possibly enhanced perceptions) are because...more
Andre
This is a fine, well put together compendium of the early Superman stories. Unfortunately, it misses out on some of the pulpy sci-fi stories and art deco aesthetic that one expects from 1940s Superman such as those found in the Fleischer cartoons. I suspect the stories get better once Mort Weisinger and Edmond Hamilton come in a few years later.

These early Seigel and Schuster stories are more about Superman teaching criminals and corrupt businessmen lessons on morality or cheesy narratives that...more
Amber
This is the first Superman comic book ever written. In it, Superman defeats big business men, cheaters, thieves, and those who prey on the poor. He doesn't always use conventional means to do it. Violence is his main motivating force. Superman shows what it means to live for truth, justice, and the American way.

I liked this comic book, but it's not my favorite. They were all short comics, their was no carry-through story line. It was fun to read, but I didn't agree with Superman's violence and t...more
Ben
Wow! I never knew how cool the earliest Superman stories were. Schuster's art, while perhaps simple by today's standards, does some nice things with perspective and shading. There are many differences from what became canon for Superman--he can't fly, works for the Daily Star, doesn't live in Metropolis, and is much more of a BA. This Superman throws people around a lot, dangles criminals from high buildings, destroys slum neighborhoods (so new projects will be built), wrecks cars (so people won...more
Travis
Ah, the good old days! Half the population of Metropolis was made up of mad scientists, Superman would get crooks to confess by flying them to the top of a sky scrapper and threatening to drop them, the stories were short and self contained, Superman was never too busy to take the time to put that uppity Lois Lane back in her place and still have the time to tow a damaged cruise ship back into the harbor or help an orphan.

Great stuff that reminds you that Superman is just one of the coolest guys...more
Kevin
It's very exciting to see DC and Marvel publish their earliest stories in trade paperbacks. While I doubt I'll ever hold in my hands an original Action Comics #1 or Detective Comics #27, it's awesome to be able to read all the classic stories in one volume. Although the character is in his earliest stages at this point, that's how all the legends start off. This is a piece of history right here that I would certainly recommend.
Mike Gabor
I was a big Superman fan in the early 60's. It was great to read this book and see how it all got started. I was surprised to learn that The Daily Planet didn't start out being called the Daily Planet. I won't tell you what itbwas called but, leave it to you to pick up this book and find out for yourselves. If you ever were a Superman fan in your childhood I strongly suggest you get this book and all that come after it.
Dominick
The first couple of years of Superman stories are crudely rendered and generally simplistic morality tales, but it's interesting to contrast Superman as originally conceived (he is quite willing to break the law and destroy property, threaten people, and so on, for the greater good, and though he does not deliberately kill anyone, he sheds no tears for the occasional dead villain) with the iconic figure he became.
Amanda
I really enjoyed this.. Lois Lane is quite feisty and Superman takes care of business. I loved it!
Stephen
When I was a kid I always thought Superman was kind of boring. He always seemed kind of proper, establishment, safe. Well, he used to be much cooler as this book demonstrates. When originally written by Siegel and Shuster he was a hero on the side of the oppressed and his adventures dealt with real societal issues. I will definitely pick up the next few issues of this series.
Michael
Not the goody-goody defender of the establishment he'd eventually be known as, the early Superman was a dangerous, sometimes lawless crusader for social justice and the rights of the oppressed. These stories are as historically fascinating as they are fun to read.
Michael Lloyd
A mesmerising, weird mix of the overtly political (Superman battles war profiteers, corrupt oil barons and sadistic prison officials) and sitcom-style secret-identity shenanigans. A must-read for fans of Superman and the earliest days of superhero comics.
Rachel
I have not liked reading comics or graphic novels before. This first year of Superman is awesome. It is very engaging. I love the story lines. It has me hooked. I have to find time to continue with this series.
Claire
Not my cup of tea for personal leisure reading, but completely fascinating as a historical artifact, particularly in the way it approaches politically charged issues.
Deimosa Webber-Bey
What's not to love? The fact that the bad guys were thiefs and crooked politicians really resonates right now, when much of this is entering the public domain soon.
Jon Christensen
Superman is a bit of a bully at the beginning.
Brooke
I cringed and giggled the whole time. Oh, Superman, you've come so far since your jerk-faced, super-villainless beginnings.
Sharon Sherman
Wow. Think of vigilantes - make that one vigilante. Interesting. I read it for a college class, Graphic Lit.
Gretchen
Superman was way more into social justice and unions and prisoner rights than I thought.
Daniel
Really... bland beyond its initial premise, so far.

But still a classic, nonetheless.
  • Superman: War of the Supermen
  • Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes
  • Superman: The Man of Steel, Vol. 2
  • The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told
  • Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 2
  • Superman: Kryptonite
  • O.M.A.C., Vol. 1: Omactivate!
  • Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Vol. 3
  • Batman Black and White, Vol. 3
  • Superman/Batman, Vol. 8:  Finest Worlds
  • Superman: The Unauthorized Biography
  • The Green Lantern/Green Arrow Collection, Vol. 2
Jerome "Jerry" Siegel, who also used pseudonyms including Joe Carter, Jerry Ess, and Herbert S. Fine, was the American co-creator of Superman (along with Joe Shuster), the first of the great comic book superheroes and one of the most recognizable icons of the 20th century.
He and Shuster were inducted into the comic book industry's Will Eisner Comic Book Hall of Fame in 1992 and the Jack Kirby Hall...more
More about Jerry Siegel...
Showcase Presents: Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 1 Showcase Presents Superman, Volume 1 The Greatest Superman Stories Ever Told Superman Archives, Vol. 1 Legion of Super-Heroes Archives, Vol. 1