Early Christian Writings: The Apostolic Fathers

Early Christian Writings: The Apostolic Fathers

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  386 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Letters and small-scale theological treatises giving a rich and powerful articulation of the Christian faith.

The writings in this volume shed a glimmer of light, in an otherwise dark period, on the emerging traditions and organizations of the infant Church. They are a selection from a group known as the Apostolic Fathers, so-called because several of the authors were most

Published September 1st 1987 by Penguin Classics (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Early Christian Writings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Early Christian Writings

Lee Harmon
If you’re looking for a brief collection of early Christian writings, this one hits all the high points. For someone wanting a taste of the emerging church, Christianity in its infancy, nothing beats reading the letters and theological treatises themselves, and this is a good collection. Nothing fancy; the introduction is short and the notes are sparse, limited primarily to historical settings, so you’re getting it from the horses’ mouths.

And what you’re getting is the founding Fathers, after th...more
Garrett Cash
This is a fascinating compilation of works that were closely tied to the early church and the apostles. These "apostolic fathers" were disciples of the real apostles like John and Peter. I actually found their biographies more interesting than their works, but this is a very interesting portrait of the views of the early 1st and 2nd century church. It's funny to see how quickly they fell into immensely false doctrines after the apostles tried to set everyone straight. Most of these are eye-rolli...more
Bojan Tunguz
Most of us Christians who have read the New Testament at some point start asking ourselves “What comes next?” The New Testament writings were, after all, just the beginning of Christianity, and the Christian religion has spread very far and had a great amount of influence even during the lives of the Apostles. However, until fairly recently most of what we know about the second and third generation of Christians came to us through the writings of the subsequent generations, and there was very li...more
Hans
Clear English translation of the Apostolic Fathers (the people who are one generation after the Apostles). These are important writings for all Christians to read and wrestle with, and this is a fine translation of them.
Matt Moran
This isn't helpful theologically or devotionally, but it is at times fascinating nonetheless. The two things that stood out most clearly were the intensely authoritative tone taken by bishops and church leaders, and the bizarre allegorical interpretations of Scripture (epistle of Barnabas).
Rebecca Lewitt
Interesting. I'm glad to have the information this book gave me about and in these letters, but I wouldn't consider it a devotional classic. It's good to have first hand knowledge of what was being written and taught in the first few centuries after Christ. However this is not, in my opinion, a re-reader--once is enough for me. I found the letters/writings to be more inspirational the earlier they were written and weirder and weirder as they got further away from the first century. The last two...more
Mark
First and foremost I would like to thank James for giving me a copy of "The Apostolic Fathers." I feel like I got a little taste of a Princeton Divinity School education when I finished reading this collection of primary source material. If only I could read these texts in the original Greek! This book is a fantastic collection of letters from Clement, Polycarp, Ignatius, Papias, and Diognetus. It was super interesting to read how these Church Fathers struggled with the faith in the first and se...more
Eric
This is a great read. Ignatious' letters are so interesting because of his focus on ecclesiology and his obsession with martyrdom. The latter is to a degree that is really quite troubling. His letter to the Romans was a plea for them to not get in the way of his martyrdom.
Clement's letter is also interesting in terms of ecclesiology, as is the Didache, an anonymous church handbook from the 1st or 2nd century.
The epistles of Diognetus and Barnabas were less interesting.
Collin Duncan
Mediocre compilation in my opinion. The inclusion of some pseudepigrapha felt out of place, but was not unwelcome. The Didache was an interesting look at the evolution of Christian liturgy and it's easy to see where Catholicism drew much of their basis from. Clement's epistles were really the only reason I read this book for their historical value on the founding of the early church "cult." The introductions to each section were greatly useful as always with Penguin books.
C. Michael
I have used this as a textbook a few times in a class I teach called "New Testament and Early Christianity." The book is affordable (something to be said when it comes to textbooks these days), the introduction is short and to the point, and the notes are helpful and unobtrusive. Other translations are available of these writings, but these are recent and scholarly.
Mike Neglia
I've always enjoyed reading Church history, and it's wonderful to spend time reading the actual letters and teachings of Christians leaders in the first centuries of the church. I really benefited by reading from and about Polycarp of Smyrna as well as reading a different translation of an old favourite: The Epistle to Diognetus. Highly recommended.
Rick Boyer
Fascinating, important, wonderful book. Features works by the Apostolic Fathers, including 1 Clement, the Letters of Ignatius of Antioch, the Letter of Polycarp, The Martyrdom of Polycarp, the Didache, and several other writings.

These are some of the most important documents of the ancient church, and it was a pleasure to read them.
Ephraim Lawson Bowick
Perfect if one's interested in the discipleship of the apostles. This collection of 1st and 2nd century writings is extremely insightful. My favorites in this book are St. Clement of Rome's epistle and The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles. Every Christian of every confession needs to read the Apostolic Fathers .

Forgive me a wretch,

Lawson
Stephen Thompson
This is a useful compilation of the writings of the Apostolic Fathers that includes brief yet informative introductions to each of the texts. The translation is good overall, although I did find find that in certain places there is a tendency to subtly harmonise the Fathers with their canonical parallels in such a way that could be misleading.
Andreas
I really enjoyed this book, it has some of the earliest known christian writings outside of the NT. Highly recommend to someone interested in the early church history. My only complaint was that it doesn't not include all the supposed letters from Ignatius.
Eben
I love this book. It was assigned to me in History of Early Christianity.. one of the few books i still pick up from time to time to review. Includes Polycarp's story.. and the early church codes which I enjoy reading... great stuff!
Chris Comis
We had to read some of the selections from this book for Greyfriars, but it was so long ago that I don't really remember much about them. But it is a good source for some of the earliest extant Christian writings.
Carlos Quijano
This is a collection of writings that I re-read every year during Lent. Every time I read it, I find something new, a new insight that deepens my understanding of my faith.
Eric
I had heard about Clement, Ignatius, Polycarp; reading some of their writings was educational, especially reading the notes with each section of writings.
Carlina
cumbersome language at times but worth going slow for comprehension. clementine, ignatius and the account of polycarps martyrdom were some highlights
Dave Brandt
Reading this book helped show just how Catholic the early church was.
David
these were okay. Fun read.
Jay D
Good introduction.
Shane Mc'auliffe
Shane Mc'auliffe marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Coptic Pupil
Coptic Pupil marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
  • The Early Church (The Pelican History of the Church, #1)
  • On the Apostolic Preaching
  • The History of the Church: From Christ to Constantine
  • Beginning to Pray
  • Early Christian Doctrines
  • The Orthodox Church
  • For the Life of the World: Sacraments and Orthodoxy
  • The Spirit of Early Christian Thought: Seeking the Face of God
  • On the Divine Images
  • Father Arseny, 1893-1973: Priest, Prisoner, Spiritual Father: Being the Narratives Compiled by the Servant of God Alexander Concerning His Spiritual Father
  • The Philokalia, Volume 1: The Complete Text; Compiled by St. Nikodimos of the Holy Mountain & St. Markarios of Corinth
  • The Life of Moses
  • The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church
  • The Sayings of the Desert Fathers: The Alphabetical Collection (Cistercian studies 59)
  • The Christian Tradition 1: The Emergence of the Catholic Tradition 100-600
  • The Trinity
  • John Climacus: The Ladder of Divine Ascent (The Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • Evangelical is Not Enough: Worship of God in Liturgy and Sacrament
Meditations Early Christian Writings: The Apostolic Fathers (Penguin Classics) Meditations (Penguin Classics)