Start by marking “The Little Flower of East Orange” as Want to Read:
The Little Flower of East Orange

The Little Flower of East Orange

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  7 reviews
When Therese Marie arrives in the emergency room of a small hospital in the Bronx, suffering from hypothermia and in shock, no one there knows her story. To the doctors and nurses, she is just another abandoned elderly woman who can’t even tell them her name. But Therese Marie’s dementia is not all that it seems. And when her prodigal son, Danny, returns to New York, There ...more
Published February 3rd 2009 by Faber & Faber

To ask other readers questions about The Little Flower of East Orange, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Flower of East Orange

Rusty Thelin
A beautiful, if slightly incoherent, story of a family struggling to discover the meaning of grace. The tale unfolds slowly, and needs to be embodied by stellar actors to fully appreciate, which fortunately it was in the Public Theater and LAByrinth co-production featuring Ellen Burstyn and Michael Shannon. Somewhat auto-biographical, it is a testament to the power of familial love, even in the face of the worst familial adversity.
Lorma Doone
This play is hard to rate because I feel like it will affect you differently depending on whether you have experienced the death of a close family member, or have had to care for a parent at the end of their life. As a person who has done both (in the latter case it was a grandparent), I was deeply moved by this play. The more I know of Guirgis, the more I love him.
Anne
Read an interesting play lately? This might be the one for you. I was into it when my own mom was sick and I can relate deeply to Danny and her sister's plight. Marie Therese is quite a character. I just felt though that this was too contrived, the plot and ending too labored. Oh well. Plays can be hit or miss. In this case, a sloppy miss.
Snoozie Suzie
Hmm. Did I not like it because it was a play? Maybe. Did I just not like it that much? Maybe. Did I hate it? Not quite. The writing itself wasn't bad, and the story was ok, but as a whole it just wasn't my thing I suppose.
Jared
what happened to the hard nosed stephen adly guirgis i came to know and love whose characters were hooked on meth and made love in bathrooms?
Victoria
Started off a little shaky, almost experimental in style, but finished strong. I'm a big fan of just about everything Stephen Adly Guirgis writes!
Nathan
I think there are some problems with this play. Like something you'd kick around at a workshop.
Leann
Leann marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Adam Ortega
Adam Ortega marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Gabrielle Angelica
Gabrielle Angelica marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Aryeh
Aryeh marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Paul Gabbard
Paul Gabbard marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Jolee
Jolee marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Ilyssa
Ilyssa marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Dayana
Dayana marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Bob Prescott
Bob Prescott marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Bennard
Bennard marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2013
Kat Rudman
Kat Rudman marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2013
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
May 24, 2013
Stephen Adly Guirgis is an American playwright, screenwriter, director, and actor. He is a member and co-artistic director of New York City's LAByrinth Theater Company. His plays have been produced on five continents and throughout the United States.
More about Stephen Adly Guirgis...
The Last Days of Judas Iscariot Three Plays: Our Lady of 121st Street / Jesus Hopped the A Train / In Arabia, We'd All Be Kings The Motherfucker With the Hat Jesus Hopped the A Train Our Lady of 121st Street - Acting Edition