Start by marking “A Ruling Passion” as Want to Read:
A Ruling Passion

A Ruling Passion

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  336 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Judith Michael creates unforgettable characters and a vivid, richly textured world -- where passions can be stronger than love -- in this splendid bestseller. Pampered socialite Valerie Sterling is shattered by her husband's death and the mysterious loss of her wealth. But she finds within herself the will to build a new life, and rekindles a romance with television networ ...more
Published July 31st 2001 by Pocket Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about A Ruling Passion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Ruling Passion

Carolyn Phelps
I chose this book as an "airplane book", one that wouldn't require much thought, but keep my attention. It exceeded those expectations. The characters were well developed and it had a good, solid storyline, if a bit predictable at times.
Jill Mccamey
I did not like this book. I did not like the people. Too many details. Too many words.
Sarath Krishnan
The novel discusses many issues. Basically it is a novel about two characters Valerie and Sybille and the clashes between both. But in a deeper analysis we can see that the novelist is throwing some intricate questions to the society. When the people think that money matters everything and to acquire money do anything the basic values of the human society will collapse. The loss of these humanitarian values is very well discussed in the novel.
Another crucial issue the novelist trying to discuss
Mary
Jan 29, 2013 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
Pampered socialite Valerie Sterling is shattered by her husband's death and the mysterious loss of her wealth. But she somehow finds within herself the will to build a new life, and rekindles a romance with television network head Nicholas Fielding - an old college flame. Valerie is totally unaware of the dangerous passions she is stirring up in Sybille Enderby, her childhood friend and the daughter of a seamstress on one of Valerie's estates.

Clawing her way up in the television industry, Sybil
P
Yikes, 600+ pages of young people being dis-satisfied with their lives and always looking for more. Actually only 580 pages of unhappiness until things started to turn around. I didn't miss the underlying morale but it was a lot of slogging to get there. It must have been a really depressing book to write. I gave it 3 stars only because there is nothing in between I didn't like it and I did. We need another star for it was just okay.
Bj Hoover
I found this book gripping as most Judith Michael's stories are. It was fastinating in the character development. I am dismayed by their ability to find such evil in the hearts of many people!! It makes for an exciting read, but disturbing in the sense that such people are out there! Their books are built on such a dire premise, but entertaining in how good triumps.
Elvia
It was entertaining but I found it a bit predictable. It was not an easy read. The edition that I had (Pocket Books)had the smallest words ever. The protagonist goes on a hero's journey like that of the epic poems. I found it a bit trite but for what it was, I liked it.
Donna Mcnab
This team of husband and wife (Judith Barnard and Michael Fain) writes a really good book with interesting plots and characters. This book of love, intrigue and murder lives up to Judith Michael's reputation as a very good storyteller.
BoekenTrol
Sep 13, 2012 BoekenTrol marked it as not_read_only_released  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: Moem
Mine is the pocket edition with the same cover. From one of the book boxes that Moem sent to me, this book is now looking for a new home.
Ray
Excellent storyline. Keeps you guessing til the very end. But still romantic enough to satisfy that beach read craving.
Janet
So glad this book is over. I had such a tough time with it. Started off well and drew me in. Then lost me.
Betty
Good easy read
Valynda
sold 2009
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Kristy
Kristy marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Mala Teeluck
Mala Teeluck marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Yetunde
Yetunde marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Deanne Fitzner
Deanne Fitzner marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Shamim Akhtar
Shamim Akhtar marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
  • A Secret Affair
  • So Happy Together
  • A Song for the Asking
  • Errands
  • Summer of the Red Wolf
  • Green Calder Grass (Calder Saga #6)
  • Just Desserts: The Unauthorized Biography of Martha Stewart
  • Temporary Sanity (Marty Nickerson, #2)
  • Bed & Breakfast
  • Promises
  • The Saints and Sinners of Okay County: A Novel
  • Miami, It's Murder (Britt Montero, #2)
  • The Water Giver: The Story of a Mother, a Son, and Their Second Chance
  • A Very Private Woman: The Life and Unsolved Murder of Presidential Mistress Mary Meyer
  • The Affair: A Novel
  • First Born
  • The White Widow
  • Blood in the Water
Judith Michael is the pen name of husband/wife team Judith Barnard (b. 1934) and Michael Fain (b. 1937).
More about Judith Michael...
Deceptions Inheritance A Tangled Web Sleeping Beauty Pot of Gold