Start by marking “A Ruling Passion” as Want to Read:
A Ruling Passion

A Ruling Passion

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  544 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Judith Michael creates unforgettable characters and a vivid, richly textured world -- where passions can be stronger than love -- in this splendid bestseller. Pampered socialite Valerie Sterling is shattered by her husband's death and the mysterious loss of her wealth. But she finds within herself the will to build a new life, and rekindles a romance with television networ ...more
Published July 31st 2001 by Pocket Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about A Ruling Passion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Ruling Passion

Carolyn Phelps
Jul 19, 2009 Carolyn Phelps rated it liked it
I chose this book as an "airplane book", one that wouldn't require much thought, but keep my attention. It exceeded those expectations. The characters were well developed and it had a good, solid storyline, if a bit predictable at times.
Jill Mccamey
Jan 28, 2012 Jill Mccamey rated it it was ok
I did not like this book. I did not like the people. Too many details. Too many words.
J. Ewbank
Aug 03, 2015 J. Ewbank rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-good-read, novel
This is a solid book by Michael. It is interesting to me that two people can write a book, and such a good book. This book covers a fairly short period of time, from college friendships to ten to fifteen years of marriages etc. It shows how these friendships can mature or not, depending upon the person and how they handle experiences. Good characters, good plot, good reading.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms" "Wesley's Wars" "To Whom It May Concern" and "Tell me abo
Sarath Krishnan
The novel discusses many issues. Basically it is a novel about two characters Valerie and Sybille and the clashes between both. But in a deeper analysis we can see that the novelist is throwing some intricate questions to the society. When the people think that money matters everything and to acquire money do anything the basic values of the human society will collapse. The loss of these humanitarian values is very well discussed in the novel.
Another crucial issue the novelist trying to discuss
Mary
Jan 29, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
Pampered socialite Valerie Sterling is shattered by her husband's death and the mysterious loss of her wealth. But she somehow finds within herself the will to build a new life, and rekindles a romance with television network head Nicholas Fielding - an old college flame. Valerie is totally unaware of the dangerous passions she is stirring up in Sybille Enderby, her childhood friend and the daughter of a seamstress on one of Valerie's estates.

Clawing her way up in the television industry, Sybil
P
Feb 06, 2014 P rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yikes, 600+ pages of young people being dis-satisfied with their lives and always looking for more. Actually only 580 pages of unhappiness until things started to turn around. I didn't miss the underlying morale but it was a lot of slogging to get there. It must have been a really depressing book to write. I gave it 3 stars only because there is nothing in between I didn't like it and I did. We need another star for it was just okay.
Marianne
Nov 24, 2015 Marianne rated it it was ok
Big book, lots of pages. Interesting people. Sometimes big books like this have the build up to a great ending, but somehow it doesnt deliver. cant say why, but the ending seemed flat.
Mcatmay
Jul 05, 2015 Mcatmay rated it liked it
Predictable, solid beach read.
Margaret
Jun 15, 2015 Margaret rated it really liked it
Not a heavy but a great summer read.
Bj Hoover
Jun 26, 2012 Bj Hoover rated it really liked it
I found this book gripping as most Judith Michael's stories are. It was fastinating in the character development. I am dismayed by their ability to find such evil in the hearts of many people!! It makes for an exciting read, but disturbing in the sense that such people are out there! Their books are built on such a dire premise, but entertaining in how good triumps.
Diane
Jan 18, 2014 Diane rated it it was amazing
Excellent
Elvia
Jan 17, 2009 Elvia rated it liked it
It was entertaining but I found it a bit predictable. It was not an easy read. The edition that I had (Pocket Books)had the smallest words ever. The protagonist goes on a hero's journey like that of the epic poems. I found it a bit trite but for what it was, I liked it.
Donna Mcnab
Jun 29, 2009 Donna Mcnab rated it really liked it
This team of husband and wife (Judith Barnard and Michael Fain) writes a really good book with interesting plots and characters. This book of love, intrigue and murder lives up to Judith Michael's reputation as a very good storyteller.
BoekenTrol
Sep 13, 2012 BoekenTrol marked it as not_read_only_released  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: Moem
Mine is the pocket edition with the same cover. From one of the book boxes that Moem sent to me, this book is now looking for a new home.
Ray
Jun 28, 2014 Ray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
Excellent storyline. Keeps you guessing til the very end. But still romantic enough to satisfy that beach read craving.
Janet
Mar 18, 2012 Janet rated it it was ok
So glad this book is over. I had such a tough time with it. Started off well and drew me in. Then lost me.
Betty
Lynn
Apr 18, 2013 Lynn rated it really liked it
Not bad.
Cheree Martin
Cheree Martin rated it did not like it
May 29, 2016
Rejectedgirl_
Rejectedgirl_ marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Stefanie Magura
Stefanie Magura marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Heidi Rokenbauch
Heidi Rokenbauch rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Amy Medeiros
Amy Medeiros marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Sharon Cumings
Sharon Cumings marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
  • First Born
  • Other Worlds
  • A Secret Affair
  • The Water Giver: The Story of a Mother, a Son, and Their Second Chance
  • Temporary Sanity (Marty Nickerson, #2)
  • Bed & Breakfast
  • The Affair
Judith Michael is the pen name of husband/wife team Judith Barnard (b. 1934) and Michael Fain (b. 1937).
More about Judith Michael...