Start by marking “Make Your House Do the Housework” as Want to Read:
Make Your House Do the Housework

Make Your House Do the Housework

Presenting the radical new idea of PREVENTING HOUSEWORK! Shows you how to take advantage of work-saving products, materials, and approaches that will make your house keep itself in order.
Published December 1st 1990 by Don Aslett's Cleaning

To ask other readers questions about Make Your House Do the Housework, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make Your House Do the Housework

Abby
Sep 11, 2009 Abby rated it really liked it
Okay, dang it! I keep reading Don Aslett's books that were written in the 80's and then seeing (when I go to review them) that they were updated and re-published in 2006. This may not be a problem for MOST books, but it is for his books which discuss things that have changed in the last 30 years, such as what kind of vacuum cleaner to buy.

That said...I did like this book a lot. It's all about how to make your home low-maintenance. Which sink faucets take the least time to clean, what floor plan
Amber
Mar 26, 2008 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admit I do not trust this man's sense of home-decorating style. But this was a book that needed to be written. I read this book before renovating our home, and with each choice of flooring, countertop, faucet-style, and even non-permanent additions to our home like a toaster-oven, I was able to accurately weigh how much of my time that item would take to maintain. In some cases I sacrificed easy-maintenance for style, but I was fully aware that I was making the choice. A sample of his recommen ...more
Jen
Jul 29, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. It describes many, many different ways to design, arrange, and build your house in order to minimize needed cleaning and maintenance. I got several good ideas from it.
There were a couple of times when I realized that this man makes a living out of cleaning and I don't. One suggestion was what kind of shoe holder to use in order to make your closet easier to vacuum and clean. My thought was, "I should be vacuuming the closet?" ( I always thought it was low maintenance bec
Cnjbillhimer
Sep 22, 2010 Cnjbillhimer rated it it was amazing
Some really great ideas--my favorite cartoon in the book was a picture of two houses. One of the houses was ornate and surrounded with a family working on its upkeep. The other home was a simpler one with a family out in the pool together.
May 12, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Every time we're ready to plan a reno, I take this book out from the library and reread it. The book is dated(written for early eighties decor) but I always find it helps me focus on creating a easy to clean space. With five kids, that is one of my big priorities.
Amy
Nov 01, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
Someday, when we build a home, I am going to buy this book and use it as a bible in my planning. Good stuff!!
Wendee
Feb 20, 2008 Wendee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone planning to build a home
A lot of great ideas to build a more efficient house. A must read for anyone planning to build, or remodel. I highly recommend this one.
Lisa
May 17, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Loved the ideas presented in this book. Since I don't like doing housework and would rather be sewing or crafting... this was a must read for me :)
Erika Mulvenna
Not a bad book, but a simple one that explains how to use modern building materials, appliances, and fixtures that make it easier to clean the home. I thought the author's preference for built-in's in every room was interesting, as it does make it easier to clean if there is less furniture to work around. Personally, I do love a moderation of built-in's in a home - occasional bookshelves, dining room storage, and the like, but still like the ability to choose the style and position of most of th ...more
Jamie Holcomb
Mar 03, 2016 Jamie Holcomb rated it really liked it
Pretty well out of date now--as just one example, the section on lighting does not discuss either CFL or LED bulbs, being as they didn't exist yet. Still, any homeowner might want to skim through it. Decisions about changing things in your home can come up suddenly, so it's nice to have thought about, for instance, what kind of floor is best in a laundry room or what kind of faucet to buy well in advance. Anyone planning renovations should definitely read it to avoid a mistake, like hard-to-clea ...more
Molly
May 23, 2015 Molly rated it it was amazing
I feel like I have a new set of eyes after reading this. Now I see everything - in my house, in a store, or anywhere else - not only for what it is and how it looks, but for how much time, energy and space it will take. I've always just done what seems easy or cheap or whatever "people do," but this book helped me to start actually thinking it through before I buy or decorate or organize.
Frosted
Jul 18, 2009 Frosted rated it really liked it
Lots of helpful stuff here. Well-organized book that helps you figure ot what you can do now, and what will have to wait until you remodel, if that is in your future. With 6 kids, I would love to live in a house full of these ideas. Even if it wasn't necessarily the prettiest, I'd rather spend less time cleaning.
Kammie
Apr 22, 2013 Kammie rated it really liked it
If I were building a house, I would read this book. A few parts stood out to me. One, have your doors be flat, not six-paneled, they are more work to clean and paint. Have swinging chairs from the bar so you don't have to move them out everytime you mop. Try to hand items rather than have them sitting on a flat surface that needs to be dusted.
Carole
Carole rated it it was ok
Sep 27, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2009
Donna
Donna rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2009
Cynthia Donnell
Cynthia Donnell rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2014
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2012
Colleen Fisher
This is a good book if remodeling or building is in your future. Very informative.
Joy
Jan 21, 2012 Joy rated it liked it
It was okay. Not quite what I thought it was about, but did have some great tips.
James Eckman
James Eckman rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Laura rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2010
Kaye Sivori
Kaye Sivori rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2014
Laurel
Laurel rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2010
Allyson Boyenton
Allyson Boyenton rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2010
Jean
Jean rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2009
Reichart
Reichart rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2013
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2008
Cayenne
Cayenne rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2007
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2009