Start by marking “Holy Man's Journey” as Want to Read:
Holy Man's Journey

Holy Man's Journey

The captivating and spiritually illuminating tales of the Holy Man continue in Susan Trott's wise and witty follow-up to her national bestseller. In The Holy Man's Journey, the beloved man on the mountain undertakes a pilgrimage of his own to find his old teacher. Accompanying him is his student successor, Anna, who learns life lessons along the way. Intimate and revealing ...more
Published April 1st 1998 by Riverhead Trade

To ask other readers questions about Holy Man's Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Man's Journey

Kat121
Jul 17, 2013 Kat121 rated it liked it
The first in the series, the Holy Man was a collection of sweet parables, sort of like Aesop's Chicken Soup for the Soul. The Holy Man's Journey takes Joe and Anna away from the mountain to find Joe's teacher, Chen, who has built a cult to shut out aging and death. Anna faces pressure from her husband to leave the mountain, to go back to Ireland and her life as a housewife. The second in the series seemed heavy-handed and not as polished as the first.
Colleen
Jul 23, 2007 Colleen rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Seekers of enlightenment
Although at times the pacing lagged, I enjoyed this book because it gave me a chance to think about the spiritual issues I've been considering recently. Refreshingly, it was a work of fiction with a parable feel. Each story concerning the Holy Man was a chance to see how values like awareness and compassion can fit into our daily lives.

Also, FYI, it's the perfect length book on tape for a roudntrip drive from Reno to Sacramento, with a stop at the In 'N Out in Auburn, of course.
Lucy
Jun 29, 2009 Lucy rated it it was amazing
Wow! I thought "The Holy Man" was great, but this second book in the series really puts the finishing touches on the lessons presented in both books. Another MUST read! I'll warn you, though, if you loan these two books out, it is tough to get them back--people want to re-read them over and over again (as did I).
Eurydice Caldwell
Awesome little book that I will re-read as it is gentle and it's wisdom and truth profound. It has had a great significance in my life when I have chosen to see it's message and truly informed me. This is in my top 20 for sure as is the Holy Man
Ecosthetics
A recommended chapter-a-day, devotional kind of book. Both the Holy Man and it's counterpart, The Holy Man's Journey are short but thought inspiring. They will likely cause the conscientious person to look closely at her/himself, and possibly to adjust their world-view.
Valerie
Mar 06, 2008 Valerie rated it it was amazing
The good stuff continues.
Carly Johnson
Aug 05, 2011 Carly Johnson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Tried reading but had to get rid of it. This was so bland and so uninteresting compared to Trott's first one, The Holy Man. Poo.
Sabrina Ali
Apr 10, 2015 Sabrina Ali rated it really liked it
Trott continues her mastery of simple parables with deeply resonant, stripped down spirituality. Highly Recc
Donna Ippoliti
Jul 14, 2012 Donna Ippoliti rated it it was amazing
I loved the journey with Anna.
Dennis
Kept My Attention - 5
Kelli
Jan 02, 2012 Kelli rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ANYONE
Wonderful insight into what is important to people. Gentle philosophy by which to live.
Teresa
May 31, 2010 Teresa rated it it was amazing
Short, easy to read, very insightful
Nicole
Jul 01, 2012 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Enlightening!
Sherie
Jul 16, 2008 Sherie rated it liked it
What a disappointment after The Holy Man. Did her publisher press her to do this? Did she have an outstanding mortgage payment due? Just not up to her standards.
Kate Burgan
Dec 04, 2012 Kate Burgan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, spiritual
Also as beautiful as the first book, and another read for each year of my life.
Frank
Nov 18, 2009 Frank rated it really liked it
A bit more contrived in several ways than The Holy Man, but still an enjoyable read. Once again, the messages are simply presented but worth remembering.
Rone
Jul 14, 2008 Rone rated it it was amazing
A good sequel to the 1st book......continue the journey....
Phoebe Jean Gosling
Phoebe Jean Gosling rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2017
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2012
Priscilla
Priscilla rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2015
M Cathy
M Cathy rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
Rebecky Britton
Rebecky Britton rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2017
Patsy Luey
Patsy Luey rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2016
Kj Griess
Kj Griess rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2012
Christa Brashier
Christa Brashier rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Jim Martin
Jim Martin rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2010
Rin
Rin rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2008
Bonny Adams
Bonny Adams rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Louis
Louis rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2016
Keith
Keith rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • God Makes the Rivers To Flow: Sacred Literature of the World
  • Getting Past What You'll Never Get Over: Help for Dealing with Life's Hurts
  • Fidelity: How to Create a Loving Relationship That Lasts
  • Pay Attention, for Goodness' Sake: Practicing the Perfections of the Heart--The Buddhist Path of Kindness
  • You Are What You Think
  • It's a Slippery Slope
  • Vilppu Drawing Manual
  • The Deer's Cry
  • Creative Whack Pack
  • Sacred Path Cards (Guidebook)
  • Listen to Your Body: Your Best Friend on Earth
  • The Medicine Way: A Shamanic Path to Self Mastery (The "Earth Quest" Series)
  • The Native Americans: An Illustrated History
  • Magic Eye 3: Visions A New Dimension in Art (Magic Eye, #3)
  • The Gates of Twilight
  • Zhuangzi: The Essential Writings: With Selections from Traditional Commentaries
  • Indian Heroes and Great Chieftains