The Shamer's Daughter (The Shamer Chronicles, #1)

The Shamer's Daughter (The Shamer Chronicles #1)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  3,765 ratings  ·  209 reviews
"I gobbled it up!"--Tamora Pierce

Dina has unwillingly inherited her mother's gift: the ability to elicit shamed confessions simply by looking into someone's eyes. To Dina, however, these powers are not a gift but a curse. Surrounded by fear and hostility, she longs for simple friendship.

But when her mother is called to Dunark Castle to uncover the truth about a bloody trip...more
Published October 3rd 2006 by Henry Holt and Co. BYR Paperbacks (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Shamer's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shamer's Daughter

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonPippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg LarssonHunger by Knut Hamsun
Best Scandinavian and Nordic Literature
116th out of 639 books — 716 voters
Alanna by Tamora PierceGraceling by Kristin CashoreTwelfth Night by William ShakespeareEon by Alison GoodmanLeviathan by Scott Westerfeld
Girls disguised as Boys
55th out of 331 books — 387 voters

More lists with this book...

Katrine B.
This was my first real fantasy book. I read it when I was about 9 or 10 and in the beginning I made my mother read it out loud - one chapter each night.
One day I got really excited about it, but then the chapter ended and my mother told me to go to sleep.

When I couldn't sleep because I kept thinking about the next chapter and what might happen, I ran downstairs, "stole" the book and finished it in one night. I got so caught up I forgot everything about time, school the next day - even my own ex...more
Kendra
I actually didn't dislike this book as much as the rating would imply; The Shamer's Daughter is a quick, fun read and the idea of the "Shamer", while not totally revolutionary, is fresh and engaging. But while The Shamer's Daughter is an enjoyable read, it suffers from a bland heroine and a shade of the "but I'm not like other girls" brand of sexism that I've come to loathe in middle grade and young adult fiction.

Dina Tonnerre is the daughter of the Shamer, a woman who can look into the eyes of...more
Cait Grace
It wasn't the book cover that caught my attention--not the title, not the promising thinness of the book, or the blurb on the back. It was the Author's Note.

I opened the book and began to read what the author had written about her book. The story behind her novel fascinated me--how she lived in Denmark, translated her own books to English, lived across the harbour from the royal residency and waved to the queen every morning. But I also love what she said about The Look.

"I think we learn the p...more
Trish
Sarah picked this book out and I decided to read it since she didn't. I knew I could read it in less than a day and then tell her if it was worth it or not. Now I know that she would most likely enjoy it. I'm glad that here is a new series for her to read... anything to get her head out of Eragon yet again.

What I like about the book is how the reader grows with the characters. In the beginning, there's so much mystery and childlike innocence about the world and not knowing what is going on. As t...more
Canni
Kan lige så godt springe ud i det med det samme: JEG ELSKER DEN HER BOG!!!

Skammerens Datter er virkelig en af mine absolut mest elskede og læste bøger! Tror jeg har læst den her serie mindst lige så mange gange som Harry Potter, hvis ikke flere! Kan den næsten til hudløshed, men den har en bestemt 'feel', som gør, at man ikke keder sig og nemt kan læse den om og om igen!

Hele grund ideen tiltaler mig, da det ikke er noget man har set før, hverken på dansk eller engelsk. Lene Kaaberbøl har skabt...more
Kiora
Just like any other fantasy loving danish girl, have I read this book when I was younger and loved the story like almost no other book. I guess I was around the protagonist's age (Dina) when I read it the first time (9 years old, I think) and just like with the Harry Potter series, Dina have grown up with me.

Again like Harry Potter, I feel like you never can get too old to read The Shamer's daughter. Of course it may seem weird to be listening to a 9-years old girl, but it's just like re-reading...more
Kater Cheek
My middle-grade daughter really loved this series and told me I had to read it. Let me start off by saying that if I had read this when I were in junior high, I would have adored it. It has everything I loved back then: a magical young girl protagonist, evil knights, cute boys, and dragons. It takes place in a familiar McFantasyland setting, the kind of place I wanted to live when I was younger.

These, of course, are all the reasons that I didn't like it that much reading it as an adult. It's not...more
Jill
This is the first in an entertaining fantasy series. The premise of the book includes a woman, called the Shamer, and her daughter, who shares her unusual ability. Their ability is powerful and makes many people unwilling or unable to befriend them. Their power is that they can see into a person's conscience just by looking into their eyes. They cause people to feel guilt for thier wrongs and can tell if someone is lying or being honest. Because almost everyone has something in their past that t...more
Penelope Frost
I can't say anything negative about the book. In my opinion it couldn't be any better.

The first time I read this it was forced in 6th grade(I think - I don't remember) by my Danish teacher. I had a hard time getting into it because it was compulsory reading. In class we were only reading half the book, but my teacher encouraged us to read the rest of it. By then I didn't need any incentive. I had begun reading ahead of the homework and finish a couple of days later and immediately began on the s...more
Kate Hastings
Nov 22, 2009 Kate Hastings rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Middle School, fantasy, dragons, special powers
This was recommended by a teen at our library... and it was REALLY good. So good, that I had to put down Maze Runner to finish it. Now I need to read the sequels!

A shamer is someone with the power to make others see all the bad things they have done in their lives by looking into their eyes. Dina and her mother are shamers and live a life of solitude because of their "gift."

But shamers are a good thing to have when terrible crimes are committed, and they are called to look into the eyes of a kil...more
Maria M. Elmvang
A 3.5 star review.

I first read this series several years ago, but have been wanting to reread it ever since seeing the musical based upon it last year. The funny thing is the musical was excellent, but the book only so-so... probably because I'm way outside the target age group for it. While well written, it's obviously a childrens' book, and aimed directly at them. It was still reasonably entertaining though, and the sequels are being adapted for stage this autumn, so I think I might as well go...more
Lauretta Drake
This would be the very first book that I considered one of my all time favourites. It was the title that caught my attention, 'The Shamer's Daughter'. The very concept of a shamer, a person with the ability to make someone feel ashamed of their wrongdoings with only a look, was appealing to me. I admit, I derived a ton of satisfaction whenever someone was brought to tears from that look. Opening the book with such a scene was brilliant.
The plot line was simple, not an epic as one would expect w...more
Caroline
The book called Skammerens Datter is very good and interesting book. It is a danish book and it's about a girl called Dina, she tries to help a boy called Nico (or Nicodemus). A man called Drakan want's to stop them, he wants to make everyone think that Nico is guilty. This is a very good book, you should try and read it!
The book is by Lene Kaarberbøl.

PS: in english it's called The Shamer's Daughter.
Waffle Writer
This was such a quick and cute read. The thing is, I didn't even know this book existed until I was browsing book blogs and one reccomended this series for fans of "The Chronicles of Narnia". I can say that I support that reccomendation! It was just a really great read that I enjoyed. Dina, the main character, can make people feel ashamed of themselves when they look into her eyes. She has inherited this trait from her mother, who is called a Shamer and uses her gift to find criminals. Dina howe...more
Linn Marie
I really liked this book! It was much better then i thought, recommended!

I like how the characters are presented in a different way then most books. I can't explain it, but you just get to know the characters in this serie very very well, i feel like i know them! If you like fantasy without too much magic this is a catch.
Hanne Frost
<3 den er så fin ... Hvad skal jeg sige? Efter have været i teatret og set dramatiseringen og sunget med på alle sangene det sidste års tid - så var det på tide også lige at få læst romanen. Glæder mig til at læse serien færdig og se Skammerens Datter 2 på Østre Gasværk Teater d. 2. november :-)
amber (DoodleBugWhiz)
This book was a short, fun read. I enjoyed the adventure, and the plot twists along the way. The concept of the shamer is a great idea.
However, it was a rather predictable story. I found myself putting the pieces of the puzzle together far before the narrator would come about the same conclusion.
Some of the scenes I also thought were awkward, and not how people would naturally react. For example, the widow and weapons master were not suspicious of Rose at all. They didn't speak to her or about h...more
The Shamer’s Daughter follows a young girl who must fight to save her mother from wrongful execution in a medieval fantasy kingdom. As she journeys across lands, forms friendships and escapes foes, she is continually feared and stigmatised because she possesses a rare and mysterious power that makes any person relive the most shameful experiences of their life if they look her directly in the eye.

This is a fascinatingly inventive magical power completely wasted on a bland main character and a g...more
Blodeuedd Finland

I had seen this one around, and then I saw the books in the library. On the youth side and I was like now, but then I thought later on why not. Why not read because I think I am too old to read something meant for 9-14 year olds. Never read any Danish fantasy so I gave it a shot.

What a short and easy read, the book took now time at all. I could have finished the whole series in a short period of time, but I decided to read something else in the mean time. It was a good book, it kept me interesti...more
Xenia
>Review in Danish<

Så blev jeg endelig færdig med denne bog - ulempen ved lydbøger er, at jeg kun hører dem, når jeg går, hvilket helt klart sker sjældnere, jo koldere det bliver!
Jeg skal ikke kunne undsige mig for, at min kæmpestore begejstring for musicalen har haft en indvirkning på min bedømmelse af "Skammerens Datter". Jeg havde egentligt håbet, at jeg ville blive færdig med lydbogen her inden jeg skulle i teatret og se forestillingen, men sådan gik det ikke.
Ikke desto mindre kan jeg...more
Amanda Northrup
Adult rating: 4 stars, Target audience rating: 5 stars

The Shamer's Daughter is a great fantasy novel set in a somewhat medieval world. There are two fantasy elements to this world that really make the book stand out:

1. DRAGONS. And not just any dragons. These are vicious, terrifying dragons that drip poison from their fangs. These dragons tear apart people and goats in seconds. The danger is palpable and violence is vivid.

2. Shamers. The main character, Dina, is the daughter of the local Shamer....more
Ruhama
Nov 12, 2008 Ruhama rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: teen
Note: the author is Danish, so the language is a little more edgy than most American authors writing about 10 year olds. Most of it feels natural, though.

Dina has inherited her mother’s gift—she’ll be a Shamer when she’s of age. This means when she looks someone in the eye, they see all their past crimes and pettiness, thus bringing shame. It’s a way to solve crimes and to stop injustices. But it all goes wrong when Dina’s mother is called to the castle in Dunark to solve a triple murder, and th...more
Mikenley Mcquiston
This book was so good. I would read it again it was what you call true fantasy. the main characters in my book where Dina and Nico. in the book Dina gets the power what people call shamer's, she got this power from her mom. with it she can look in to peoples eyes and see everything about them. But when her mother is taken, to go help Nico, to prove he is not guilty Dina must go and help her. but wile doing this she becomes friends with Nico.

They do run in to problems like fighting dragons! hidin...more
Victoria
This book actually exceeded my expectations; it's relatively short and it didn't seem like anything that was really going to pull me in. I was mistaken though. This is a good foundational novel for a series I can't wait to get further into.

Dina is the titular Shamer's daughter, the heir to the powerful eyes of her mother the Shamer. Both of them can use their gaze and sometimes their voice to draw shame, guilt, and repentance from the most hardened of men. But no one wants to be around someone w...more
Therese
You know it's a good weekend when you get to reread one of your all time favorite books, and in danish! Going into this I was afraid my danish would be rusty, but there was no problem. I'm actually more nervous to read the other books in the series in nynorsk (a type of norwegian), which is the language I have the two last books in.

This book, and this series in general, is amazing. I never get tired of it, and I always find myself coming back to it. It's fantasy and it has dragons, what more cou...more
Kirsten
I would definitely recommend this one to the Tamora Pierce set. It's a solid fantasy with an intriguing premise: Dina, like her mother, has the power to Shame people with her eyes. When she makes eye contact with others, they become unable to hide their shameful secrets, whether small or large. Because of this power, Dina's mother is often called to villages and cities to confirm people's innocence or guilt. It's an important role, but all Dina really wants is to be able to have friends and look...more
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Πρέπει να έχει περάσει τουλάχιστον ένας χρόνος από τότε που η καλή μου φίλη Αργυρώ μου πρότεινε να διαβάσω την τετραλογία της "Αισχύντρα", πιστεύοντας ότι είναι κάτι εντελώς διαφορετικό απ' όσα έχουμε διαβάσει το τελευταίο διάστημα στη λογοτεχνία του φανταστικού, κάτι που κάνει τη διαφορά, έστω κι αν δεν στέκεται ικανό να σε εντυπωσιάσει από το πρώτο κι όλας βιβλίο. Η αλήθεια είναι ότι είχα κάποιο δισταγμό και ο λόγος δεν είναι άλλος από το ότι για μια ακόμη φορά, το βιβλίο βρισκόταν στο παιδικό...more
Abby
Plot Summary: A shamer is a person that can look into your eyes, and make you feel ashamed of everything you've done wrong. This is an especially helpful gift when it is used to help judge if a person is guilty of stronger crimes. Dina's mother, Mellussina, is a "Shamer," and recently Dina inherited the gift as well. Dina is a preteen and wants desperately to have friends, but people don't like to feel shame for their actions and so they also do not like to have Dina around. One day, a man from...more
Allison
Not your average fantasy novel

In a word, Lene Kaaberbol's newest series, The Shamer Chronicles, is wonderful. Full of action, adventure, and even a touch of (PG) romance, this series stands out from a lot of the others I've read. I especially love the main character, ten-year-old Dina, who is not quite your typical heroine. As one with the Shamer's Gift (the ability to reveal a person's deepest, darkest secret with just one look), she is shunned and feared by all who see her. She must choose to...more
  • Krystalhjertet (Historien om Mira, #3)
  • Djævelens lærling (Den store djævlekrig, #1)
  • Erik Menneskesøn
  • Skuggan över stenbänken (Skuggserien, #1)
  • Mio, My Son
  • Eksil (Africa Trilogy #1)
  • A Wizard Named Nell (The Keepers, #1)
  • The Oracle Betrayed (The Oracle Prophecies, #1)
  • The Safe-Keeper's Secret (Safe-Keepers, #1)
  • Freja: Sagan om Valhalla (Sagan om Valhalla, #1)
  • The Bonemender (The Bonemender, #1)
  • In the Coils of the Snake (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #3)
  • The Tenth Power (The Chanters of Tremaris, #3)
  • Syskonkärlek
  • The Light of the Oracle (Healer and Seer, #3)
  • Trollbundet (Sagaen om Isfolket, #1)
  • Gummi Tarzan
  • Hero's Song (The Songs of Eirren, #1)
Jeg kom til verden på Rigshospitalet i København d. 24.3.1960. Overlægen var i kjole og hvidt - han var blevet afbrudt midt i en gallamiddag - men min søster siger, at det er da ikke noget, hendes fødselslæge var i islandsk nationaldragt. Nogen vil mene at det således allerede fra starten var klart at jeg var et ganske særligt barn. Andre vil sikkert påstå at min mor bare var god til at skabe plud...more
More about Lene Kaaberbøl...
The Boy in the Suitcase (Nina Borg, #1) The Serpent Gift (The Shamer Chronicles, #3) The Shamer's Signet (The Shamer Chronicles, #2) The Shamer's War (The Shamer Chronicles, #4) Invisible Murder (Nina Borg, #2)