Grandfather Twilight

Grandfather Twilight

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  1,002 ratings  ·  92 reviews
When day is done, and shadows begin to deepen, it is time for Grandfather Twilight to close his book, put on his jacket, and go for a walk through the forest.Litle birds hush as he walks by, and the rabbits and other small woodland creatures watch in silence as he performs his very special evening task and returns to his house among the trees. Small readers and listeners,...more
Published November 12th 1996 by Turtleback Books (first published 1984)

Kathryn
The illustrations in this story are so lovely; soft, glowing, and gently magical--perfect for bedtime! The story is pleasant, too, following the activities of Grandfather Twilight as he awakes at the end of the day and sets about putting the moon in the sky. There was one point in the story that I found a little odd/confusing given the cycle of the moon, but otherwise I quite enjoyed the overall book mostly due to the illustrations.
Samantha
This was one of my most favorite of stories growing up. I still imagine I have a room sometimes that is half room and half nature as is depicted in Grandfather Twilight. This book is full of beautiful illustrations, imagination, creativity, and inspiration. I would recommend to children everywhere and even adults who still recognize their inner child.
Ann
4.5 stars for the illustrations

The illustrations in this book are beautiful! The good thing is, they could almost tell the story all on their own. The down side is that I almost found the little text that was there to be confusing. Still is a great story and the illustrations are a true feast for the eyes! Recommended for those alone!
Miriam
Very gentle story about dusk, with sweet and picturesque illustrations.
Julianne
There really isn't anything as arresting as a picture book you had read to you in childhood and which you haven't read since. I came across this book while searching the bookshelves of my grandparents' cottage for something entirely different and was as distracted from my search as if someone had reached through time and kidnapped me.

This book is light on words and long on pictures, and the connections a child will make in his or her mind while looking at the pictures and hearing the story are...more
Jane G Meyer
Though I'm a big fan of Donkey's Dream, also by Barbara Berger, this book doesn't strike me the same way. The illustrations are lovely, even magical, and the text is short and lyrical and nice for bed time, but the theme could be quite confusing to little ones.

Not that they shouldn't be exposed to fantasy and metaphor, but I'd prefer for my small children to think that God is the one who sails the moon into the sky--or even--if subtly we knew that this was a task that was given to the grandfath...more
Grandfather Twilight is an old man who lives in the woods and puts the full moon into the sky. This is a beautiful bedtime story, with illustrations that take us to an imaginary world where a pearl grows to the size od the moon and an old man's body blends into the dusky sky. Spare text and creative vision.
Murphy
When a day ends it comes time for Grandfather Twilight to put down his book, comb his beard, put on his jacket and collect a pearl from a strand of pearls hidden in a wooden chest. Then, holding that pearl in his hand Grandfather Twilight heads off for a walk in the forest towards the sea. The pearl in his hand grows larger and larger, eventually becoming the moon which Grandfather Twilight gently offers up to the “silence above the sea” a spot where the moon can comfortably find its place to sh...more
Lv2readB
Berger, B. (1984). Grandfather twilight. New York: Philomel Books.
(re-published in 1996 and 1999)

Summary:
Grandfather Twilight lives among the trees. When “day is done”, he takes a pearl and as he walks through the forest, it grows. When he reaches the sea, the pearl becomes the moon and night brings sleep to Grandfather Twilight and his animals.
The layout of the words throughout the book (usually one sentence per page) makes the reader feel as though he/she is reading a drawn-out, beautifully-i...more
Kami
Seriously?!?!? Why is this so highly rated? The pictures were blah. And it was pages with just pictures and no writing. The story itself was minimal and didn't hold my interest, although it was short enough that the kids stayed and listened. But they were confused by it and I had to explain what was happening.
Jamie
Grandfather Twilight is a beautifully told explanation of how twilight is created. Grandfather Twilight lives in a forest, reading books all day. When the day comes to an end, he gets a pearl out of his chest of endless pearls. As he walks towards the ocean, the pearl becomes larger. Grandfather Twilight releases the pearl into the sky, and it becomes the moon.
The detailed illustrations are the heart and soul of the story. The illustrations were painted in acrylic. The scenery and animals are...more
Shelli
My favorite part of this story are the lovely magical illustrations. These soothing images and sweet storyline of Grandfather Twilight beginning the evening in is a perfect nighttime tale to share with your little ones.

Lindsay Carter
My parents read this to me before bed as a young girl. I loved it. Reading it again as an adult makes me appreciate its simple beauty even more. Wonderful book and dear to my heart!
John
May 25, 2014 John added it
Recommended to John by: Leah
No star ratings given for short children's books.
As a snippet on the back cover boasts, this is an excellent addition to our cultural body of mythology.
Meghan Brigan
Grandfather Twilight is a traditional bedtime story for children ages two to eight years old. Grandfather Twilight goes out on a stroll every evening. As he walks a string of pearls is created. The pearl represents the moon which Grandfather Twlight is in charge of hanging in the sky. This book is so peaceful and serene. The images and text would work perfectly to create a sleepy mood. I really enjoyed that when Grandfather Twilight went to bed he was surrouned by his animal friends. I think for...more
Candice
Nov 22, 2011 Candice rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
I remember reading this to Ellen and never forgot how beautiful the illustrations are. It's a good book to put little ones in a sleepy mood. Every evening Grandfather Twilight opens a wooden chest, takes out one pearl, and goes for a walk. That pearl grows larger with every step until, "Gently, he gives the pearl to the silence above the sea." With poetic words and soft-focus illustrations of a kind man, lovely landscape, and friendly animals, this is a good book to snuggle with. Some of the pag...more
Nancy (Colorado)
Still in my quest to find a favorite children's bool for a baby shower!
Alexandra Chauran
I really loved this book and would love to own it. A short bedtime story with simple language that sounds nourishing to young kids. The illustrations are fabulously beautiful and memorable. This paints a lovely myth before sleep.
Donna
This is a soothing, wonderful book to transition your child to bedtime. I don't think it is sold as a board book, but there is not a lot of text on each page, so you can read it to a very young child. Grandfather Twilight is in charge of creating dusk, then night, and he does it slowly, beautifully, almost (you may hope) hypnotically. Read in a soft, soothing voice, this is a wonderful choice for a last book if you read more than one at bedtime. Any child who is ready for text and won't rip page...more
Tanya Presse
My favourite storybook growing up.
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
I can remember being read this story when I was about 7 years old. I remember the illustrations. I absolutely love the gentle story and the illustrations. As Grandfather takes the pearl and it grows and grows. It's a great book for predictions with Kidnergarten and 1st Grade. Having them predict what the book will be. The book is well written and the gentle illustrations make this one of the greatest final stories to read to children before bed.
Toree Howe
•This story is giving a fantasy version of how the time of day (twilight) happens.
•The illustrations are mesmerizing.
•This book helps the students understand when twilight is and can open up discussion about other times of day and introduce new vocabulary, for example, dawn and dusk.

A great picture book and read aloud for younger students, K through 2nd. The concept of twilight can be taught to all grades up to 6th.
Tracy
A picture book about Grandfather Twilight who every night opens a wooden chest to take a pearl from an endless strand and release it in the night sky to become the moon.

A nice goodnight story for young children. It is a fantasy book because of the unexplainable magic displayed in it. The illustrations have a dream-like quality. It could be a book in the class library of a second grade classroom or lower.
Jendolphina
Oct 24, 2007 Jendolphina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, especially those with children
This is my all-time favorite children's book. I love the illustation and the nighttime relaxing story. You will read to your children as a bedtime story over and over again, and you will love to read it every now and again for yourself and for your grandchildren! A must have in your book collection, and a great gift to give. My grandson Noah loves this book - it's the first book I could get him to sit through!
Brooke Devarennes
This book is a great fantasy book! At first I wasn't so sure about it because it was so simple (maybe 3-6 words per page). However, after I read it I realized how enchanting it was. There are even 3 pages with no words at all. The book lets the pictures tell the story. This book is great for imagery because of that. This book would also be great for a bed-time book.
Alex
This fable tells the story of twilight, the time between bright sun and dark night. It combines elements of children's books in that it has written words as well as tells the story without words through the beautiful artwork. My son (almost 5) did have a bit of a hard time with the part of the story without words, but it was enjoyable to us both.
Aaron Alexander
This would be a good book to read to kindergarten or first grade students when talking about day and night cycles. The book tells the story of grandfather twilight, an old man who brings a pearl, which represents the moon, out every night and puts it into the sky. As he takes his nightly walk, he leaves a trail of light behind him, which is the twilight.
This was one of my favorite books as a kid. I remember that i loved the illustrations as well as the story, as a child the 'grandfather twilight' title worked for me because I grouped it in with 'father time' and 'mother earth' though I did wonder why there want a 'grandmother ...'. This would be a must have for me if I had children to read to.
Keri
Oct 13, 2008 Keri rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents to read to their young children, Jessica
Shelves: children-s
I think this is my favorite of the Barbara Berger children's picture books. She is an artist in the Pacific Northwest and the artwork is beautiful. The stories are wonderful too. I see there are more now. When my children were small I tried to get them all. So I should put the new ones on my to-read list for potential grandchildren.
Dylan Reisz
Feb 01, 2008 Dylan Reisz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my friend Taliana
The moon is a big pearl. Grandfather Twilight likes to vacuum. The dog and cat have a tense relationship.

Daddy's version seems to be different from Mommy's version (dog and cat are friends in the mom-read; grandfather twilight is having psychedelic flashbacks in the dad-read, etc.). It's all very interesting to me.
  • The Sun Egg
  • Peter Spier's Rain
  • William's Doll
  • The Sign of the Seahorse
  • Imagine a Day
Barbara Helen Berger grew up loving to draw and paint. She studied Art at the University of Washington in Seattle, her home town, where she earned a BFA degree in Painting. During her five years of study, she also went to Yale Summer School of Music & Art, and to Tyler School of Art in Rome, Italy. In Italy she saw the art she had loved from childhood, seen in her father's art books at home.

Fo...more
More about Barbara Helen Berger...
Gwinna The Donkey's Dream When the Sun Rose A Lot of Otters All The Way to Lhasa: A Tale from Tibet