Start by marking “Structural Anthropology” as Want to Read:
Structural Anthropology

Structural Anthropology

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  918 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The “structural method,” first set forth in this epoch-making book, changed the very face of social anthropology. This reissue of a classic will reintroduce readers to Lévi-Strauss’s understanding of man and society in terms of individuals—kinship, social organization, religion, mythology, and art.
Published June 7th 1974 by Basic Books (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Structural Anthropology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Structural Anthropology

Cărăşălu
This collection of Levi-Strauss' essays, studies and polemic articles often has a manifesto-like tone. However, the chapters vary in style and substance. Some are more ethnographical, others (more numerous) are more theoretical and have a programmatic character. Although Levi-Strauss' analyses are highly competent and thorough and his position supported by solid and sound arguments, I find it hard to subscribe to the approach to anthropology that he advocates. He is a proponent of anthropology b ...more
Andrew
Dec 29, 2008 Andrew added it
Shelves: anthropology
Yes yes, I know this is a remarkably important book, but it was a slog, and a slog I tended to disagree with. While I admire the tenacity of his research and I admire the historical step of applying Saussure's linguistic method to culture, I can't help but be annoyed by Levi-Strauss' hard-line structuralism. Seriously, the chapter on the structure of myth pissed me off.
Anthony D Buckley
This is just a masterpiece. Particularly his study of myth in this book is just astonishing. His study of myth in Structural Anthropology II is even more astonishing.
Firas Jabbour
الأنتروبولوجيا البنيوية أحد الكتب المميزة جداً جداً التي قرأتها هذا العام..
الجانب النظري أو التنظيري كان معقداً في إطار البحث عن المنهج وعلاقته بمناهج العلوم الأخرى فكانت الطروحات والنقاشات دقيقة للغاية إلا أن الاستشهاد بحالات كان أغلبها من نصوص ميثولوجية كندية أو أسترالية أو أميركية (هندية) ترك فجوة إدراك لمحيط النموذج المطلوب سبره..
كتاب مميز وملهم ويستحق قراءة متأنية للغاية..
Dragos C.
Lévi-Strauss changed the face of anthropology with his seminal conference collection turned book. Though anthropology has moved past structuralism this remains a must read book that sheds light into the perceived and neglected (at least before L.-S.) 'structure' of society.
Jim
This is one of those books that is more edifying than entertaining. I have a much better appreciation for all social sciences having read this book, and I do recommend it, if you have any curiosity about this discipline, at all.
Suncan Stone
A good Introduction to structural (and other types of) anthropology (I am sure Claude would hate me for saying that). I think the only downside is that it is one of the founding texts of anthropology, which means it is a bit outdated (some chapters in the book were written as articles in the 40s, and since then anthropology has evolved in leaps). But, yes, a classic, so if you are interested in anthropology is is a must read. (Even tough I wrote at the beginning it is an introduction to..., I gu ...more
Ikhlas
اهم الافكار
Alexandra Brovco
I feel like such a butt giving this book a one star, but it's not that the book is bad -- it's not. It's just that I didn't like it, precisely what the * rating says.

I'm thankful, though. Made me realise that Anthropology is not for me, despite all the other allure of this course.
C.
A classic no doubt, but flawed in its rigid use of structure and not enough recognition of the organic/fluid nature of societal evolution. Also completely atheist. Careful reading makes this a good study but not recommended for the average layperson.
Andrew
I got my B.A. almost ten years ago and only just got around to this anthropology classic. Well, better late than never I guess. I can see how a lot of the courses I took drew on some of L-S's fundamentals, even if we only superficially covered him.
Ta
Jan 06, 2014 Ta added it
Trudno to w ogóle ocenić. Czasem trzeba nadrobić dziury w wykształceniu.
Olivier Boucher
Great, bu tiedious book for the beginner of anthropology. The first half of the book might be a bit arid, but the second half in simply great. A must read for anyone interested in anthropology.
Paul Hoehn
(obvi did not read the whole thing because i mostly hate anthropology hey but did think a lot about language and symbols so that was hepful)
Jayw
Jul 30, 2011 Jayw added it
Defines anthropology, goals and methods. Applies scientific model of linguistics.
Jessica Zu
I'd call it mathematical anthropology and the mathematics of the Unconscious!
Sonia
Anthropology at its best. The true scientist of human nature. J'Adore!
Florin Pitea
I read this back in 1996. My memory of it is foggy, to say the least.
pjr8888
None
Suha
Suha added it
Lily Halstead
Lily Halstead marked it as to-read
Vicvacc
Vicvacc marked it as to-read
  • Patterns of Culture
  • Purity and Danger: An Analysis of Concepts of Pollution and Taboo
  • Writing Culture: The Poetics and Politics of Ethnography
  • Cannibals and Kings: Origins of Cultures
  • The Elementary Forms of Religious Life
  • Coming of Age in Samoa: A Psychological Study of Primitive Youth for Western Civilisation
  • Course in General Linguistics
  • The Rites of Passage
  • Veiled Sentiments: Honor and Poetry in a Bedouin Society (updated with a new preface)
  • Europe and the People Without History
  • The Social Life of Things: Commodities in Cultural Perspective
  • The Myth of the Eternal Return or Cosmos and History
Claude Lévi-Strauss was a French anthropologist, well-known for his development of structural anthropology. He was born on November 28, 1908 in Belgium as the son of an artist, and a member of an intellectual French Jewish family. Lévi-Strauss studied at the University of Paris. From 1935-9 he was Professor at the University of Sao Paulo making several expeditions to central Brazil. Between 1942-1 ...more
More about Claude Lévi-Strauss...
Tristes Tropiques The Savage Mind Myth and Meaning The Raw and the Cooked (Mythologiques, Vol 1) Race et histoire

“Not all poisonous juices are burning or bitter nor is everything which is burning and bitter poisonous.” 8 likes