Start by marking “Oranges and Peanuts for Sale” as Want to Read:
Oranges and Peanuts for Sale

Oranges and Peanuts for Sale

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Many of the twenty-eight essays in Oranges & Peanuts for Sale have appeared in translation in seventeen countries; some have never been published in English before. They include introductions for books of avant-garde poets; collaborations with visual artists, and articles for publications such as The New York Review of Books, The London Review of Books, and October ...more
Published June 23rd 2009 by New Directions

To ask other readers questions about Oranges and Peanuts for Sale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oranges and Peanuts for Sale

Jim
Weinberger's essays are one of my favorite discoveries of 2010. Oranges & Peanuts is (I think) his latest collection, and it's excellent. It kicks into gear with a comically dyspeptic review of E. B White's 1948 essay for The New Yorker. "Here is New York," which along with disparaging White's "insularity" includes a sharp kick at The New Yorker's refracted "witty prose." For Weinberger this is not a compliment. "Discounting late publications of the inescapably famous, it is safe to say that ...more
Andrew
A wonderful collection of short, intriguing essays. Weinberger seems very much in the tradition of those he most admires (Pound, Williams, Oppen, etc.) and has a beautiful taste and feel for the art of poetic translation. While I loved the essays about translation and various Chinese poets I prove his point by never having heard of, I find I most appreciate his 'political essays'. That is, Weinberger gives blunt voice to the too-often unspoken spinelessness of the modern poet, as she or he retre ...more
Paul Secor
Many fine essays included here. Some I'm sure I'll return to over time: "Oppen Then", "Niedecker/Reznikoff", "James Laughlin", the title essay, "The Arts and the War in Iraq", among them.
For me, Mr. Weinberger misses the mark at least a couple of times. "Where Was New York?" is an attack on a straw man. No one reads E.B. White for cutting edge writing about his times, at least I don't. I read him for the grace of his prose.
And Mr. Weinberger, like many of us, got caught up in Obama's con game -
Beth
The more of his work I read, the more convinced I become that Eliot Weinberger is among the finest minds in English-language letters today---perhaps in letters period. This collection highlights his incredible range and his incredible skill, and includes a number of pieces that should be required reading for every American. Here's a writer who will make you think and think about what matters.
Mike
Weinberger gets only one thing wrong in this book--he claims he's not an artist. I don't know if there's anything in this book to match his very best work--"The Dream of India," "The Falls," "Muhammad"--but it's a superb collection, both beautiful and scholarly, marred only by the occasional bit of crotchetiness.
Tuck
the essay alone "What I Heard About Iraq in 2005" is worth the price of admission. these are widely ranging essays on things like the 3 Gorges Dam in China to reviews of poets like Oppen, Huidobro, Paz, and the color blue and exotes. my favorites are about the political world of usa.
Lisa
As usual lots of interesting stuff to ponder upon. I didn't enjoy this book as much as his wonderful collection, Karmic Traces. Particularly liked the section on Chinese poetry...
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Keegan Swenson
Keegan Swenson marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Ethan
Ethan marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Yasir Husain
Yasir Husain marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Julio Montesinos
Julio Montesinos marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Dustin A
Dustin A marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Jacob
Jacob is currently reading it
Mar 13, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
pigeon
pigeon marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Malcolm Brown
Malcolm Brown marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2013
Rebecca Foster
Rebecca Foster marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2013
Jerrod
Jerrod marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2013
Rose Linke
Rose Linke marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Eliot Weinberger is a contemporary American writer, essayist, editor, and translator. His work regularly appears in translation and has been published in some thirty languages.
Weinberger first gained recognition for his translations of the Nobel Prize winning writer and poet Octavio Paz. His many translations of the work of Paz include the Collected Poems 1957-1987, In Light of India, and Sunston
More about Eliot Weinberger...
An Elemental Thing Karmic Traces The New Directions Anthology of Classical Chinese Poetry Written on the Sky: Poems from the Japanese Works on Paper