Start by marking “Horowitz Horror: Nine Nasty Stories To Chill You To The Bone (Volume 1)” as Want to Read:
Horowitz Horror: Nine Nasty Stories To Chill You To The Bone (Volume 1)

Horowitz Horror: Nine Nasty Stories To Chill You To The Bone (Volume 1)

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,234 Ratings  ·  127 Reviews
Some mysterious deaths linked to a second hand camera, a boy trapped inside a computer game, a frightening journey on a bus that doesn't seem to exist and a terrifying dream that comes true. These are some of the horror stories in this collection.
Published July 1st 2008 by Orchard (NY) (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Horowitz Horror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horowitz Horror

Marco
Sep 14, 2010 Marco rated it really liked it
I have read countless short story collections but this collection and its sequel are ones I favour the most. This is because of two reasons;

When I was like 6 or 7, I used to pop around our local library and borrow the smaller collections of these stories - the thin little books with two or three stories in each volume. I've loved them ever since and have since, bought a copy for myself.

Second reason? These stories at the same time, were coldly-humoured, chilling and sort of freaky in a way and s
Klara
Jun 24, 2010 Klara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young horror fans.
Shelves: teen-fiction
I must admit, I judged this book by its cover. I am a fan of Anthony Horowitz, but I didn't pay attention to the book's author or description; the word "HORROR" boldly emblazoned on the spine and the bloody handprint dominating the cover were all it took for me to conclude I'd like the book. In this case, my first impression was fairly accurate: the book is a collection of horror stories, albeit none too horrible since the target audience is a younger once. Given that demographic, the stories' i ...more
Kiki
Jul 25, 2011 Kiki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jumpy preteens
Recommended to Kiki by: A sick, sick, sicko
Nostalgic, clever, twisty horror for teens and adults alike. I'm not ashamed to say that I first read this book when I was about eleven, then again when I was thirteen, then again when I was fifteen, and though it's been a while now, it still scares the living shit out of me. Why?

Because the lovely Mr. Horowitz does this really annoying thing where he takes everyday objects and makes them into evil deadly supernatural devices of cruelty. I was scared to bathe without leaving the door open and ta
Rocio Pritchett
Aug 18, 2009 Rocio Pritchett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read these stories to my students before Halloween. We turned off the lights and I read the part of a story, with voices, per day. Although they didn't mention liking them at the time, they talked about it for a month afterward. "Do you remember that voice you did for that creepy guy in that story? We had a sub who sounded Just like that, and I was creeped out all hour long!" Mission accomplished.
Giselle
Aug 09, 2012 Giselle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Giselle by: Blasterbot
Shelves: horror
I'm not into horror. Maybe it was a test of willpower or something for me to read this book, but I read it. Maybe I was desperate for reading material. I passed on the other Red Jericho books. Apparently I'd rather be scared than bored.

But, er, I wasn't scared. It wasn't that bad.

In a sick and slightly twisted way (perhaps the way that people enjoy all horror stories), I liked this book. However, I realize that this book is definitely a children's/young teens' horror book. None of the main cha
Nan Silvernail
9 Spooky Tales

1) Bath Night - A deep, old Victorian claw-foot tub, with a secret.
2) Killer Camera - A rather sinister second-hand bargain.
3) Light Moves - An old computer that wasn't plugged in comes to life.
4) The Night Bus - Take a tour around London on it. You'll never be the same.
5) Harriet's Horrible Dream - It has to be a dream, it just has to be.
6) Scared - Out in the country? Stay on the paths.
7) A Career in Computer Games - This is no Beta Test.
8) The Man with the Yellow Face - Twilight
Taylor
Jun 14, 2011 Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another time when I don't remember much. . . . but I do recall what I think was the first story about the girl and the bath tub. Haha right? A girl in a haunted bath tub, how scary can that be- No. It was terrifying (I see you laughing!). I mean a guy that used to take girls home and chop them up with a victorian axe in the bath tub that this girl now has, scary right, but no the ending was the worst part. The son and the mom get in a really bad fight and the son is taking a bath to cool off. Th ...more
Mark Soone
Nov 03, 2012 Mark Soone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bath Night- 5 stars- Why does the new/old bath tub that her parents bought fill Isabella with fear? Why does no one else feel the panic and terror that she does? Is it just imagination or a wickedly evil device w/ a past to horrifying to imagine??? You will have to read it to find out!

Killer Camera- 3.5 stars- This likely would have been a 4 star read, had I not found the ending extremely unrewarding. A young boy buys his father a camera for a birthday gift. For soe reason the boy has uneasy fe
Geert Daelemans
Aug 22, 2013 Geert Daelemans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jeugd, horror
Nine ltittle gems

Horowitz Horror was first published in 1999 and contains nine short stories where the protagonist is predominantly a younger person, as such is seems to be written for a preadult audience.

The nine stories:
-When it's Bath Night Isabel has to deal with a rather hostile, old Victorian bath.
-Do not by that Killer Camera, because is has a certain influence on the subjects it photographs.
-The future is no secret anymore in Light Moves, but Ethan Sly should get worried when other peopl
Patrice Sartor
GENRE: Fiction, short stories, horror, thriller.

SUMMARY: In a number of different tales, ordinary objects take on creepy characteristics. A Bathtub seems sinister, a camera may be deadly, and dreams might not be dreams.

EVALUATION: Even though I used to enjoy Stephen King (far from literature, I know), I am not a fan of horror these days. I added this because it is popular among tweens, especially tween boys, and I wanted another short story entry and another horror entry. This fulfilled both nee
Mimi
Jun 22, 2010 Mimi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Waleed Salam
The hitchhiker is a short story in this book that talks about this family in a storm driving back home from a long drive and the father is nice to everyone they saw this man standing in the rain the father asked the man were you heading the man answered the father said its on our way we will drop you off on our way home. As time passed by the child saw the man take out a knife ready to stab the mother but because the boy saw the knife he kicked the knife out of the mans hand opened the door of t ...more
Carter
Dec 20, 2015 Carter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book I read was Horowitz Horror Stories You'll Wish You'd Never Read by Anthony Horowitz. This book impacted me because to never spill your secrets or else they will hurt you, and that you should always inspect everything over before you buy it or use it. This made me make sure of not to trust anyone or anything and always get you parents permission and all ways call if you need help in a situation.
In this book there was story's in it that talked about what happened to them and what they d
Lostaccount Darkpool
A decent collection of kiddie horror stories with children as the main characters, with Horowitz's usual wit and pace. All were fun to read and most of the endings reminded me a bit of EC comic endings.

Bath night: parents buy a claw-footed bathtub in a Chelsea antique shop, girl is scared of washing in it because she thinks it's haunted. Turns out it is, of course. For kids (or even big dirty kids) who hate bath night.

Killer Camera: title gives it away. A boy buys a camera at a carboot sale (boo
Chroniques Littéraires
Ces neuf nouvelles sont plus terrifiantes les unes que les autres !

C’est avec un art consommé que l’auteur nous entraîne dans des histoires dignes des plus grands films d’horreur. Notre intérêt est captivé dès les premières lignes. Comment imaginer qu’un simple appareil photo ou une baignoire puissent faire trembler ? L’intrigue est subtilement amenée, la tension monte, on ne peut pas lâcher l’histoire avant la fin, on se surprend à sursauter et à frissonner. Et puis, surtout… on ne regarde plus
Natalie Bowers
Jul 30, 2011 Natalie Bowers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, short-stories
This book of short stories, although aimed at readers about twenty years younger than myself, was both entertaining and educational. Anyone interested in writing horror or short stories (or both) would be well advised to read this collection. The prose is swift and lean, the suspense masterful and the humour/horror balance pitched just right. Horowitz takes everyday objects, people and places and gives them a creepy, unexpected twist.
Dany Hdz
Jan 06, 2014 Dany Hdz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
El libro está muy divertido. Todos los cuentos te transmiten cierto terror, es casi como si te imaginaras a ti mismo como el personaje del cuento. Mis cuentos favoritos fueron: El hombre de la cara amarilla, El horrible sueño de Harriet y Hora de bañarse. :)
Petra
Mar 16, 2014 Petra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nečekala jsem žádné extra strašidelné příběhy, proto mě kniha nezklamala - obzvláště v těch koncích, protože z některých dobře mrazilo. A další dva díly si taky přečtu, snad brzy.

Vstupte do temného a děsivého světa Horowitzových hororů a očekávejte nečekané!
Je to svět, kde vše vypadá celkem normálně. Ale hned za nejbližším rohem číhá leccos tajemného, zlověstného a skutečné hrůzného. Jako zdánlivě obyčejný fotoaparát ukrývající zlé síly, cesta domů autobusem, jenž zahne do nejhorší noční můry, a
Jien
Jun 12, 2011 Jien rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Even bearing in mind this was written for younger audiences, the stories were not at all 'scary,' 'creepy,' or otherwise 'horrific.' The language was perhaps a bit too childish, the stories did not build strong plots, the climaxes were entirely predictable. The characters were not relatable or particularly believable.
rose
Mar 09, 2011 rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i liked this book very much! the cover looked very cool also haha. i like reading scary stories like these. i also read the other book, which was like, more stories? but yeah. this book was really good. some of them gave me the creeps haha
Gwen Guerrero Maciel
Es el primer acercamiento que tengo con este autor. Su pluma es bastante sencilla y amena, y bueno, son cuentos o relatos cortos que te los terminas muy rápido. Los primeros me sentí como si estuviera en los programas de "Le temes a la oscuridad" y "Escalofríos", o también en "La dimensión desconocida.
Son bastante entretenidos y las ilustraciones que trae ayudan aun más a imaginar el entorno, que bueno, no es tan tétrico, sino que utiliza lo cotidiano y lo vuelve algo terrorífico.
Mis cuentos f
Nick Schmitt
I chose this book at random because it looked interesting. I expected much more scare of them then a few plot twists. The book was a compilation of stories actually. I like "The Man with the Yellw face" the most. It was a kid who took a picture in a photo booth and saw a disgusting yellow faces he was worried who the picture had come up. Then 10 minutes after the kid gets into car crash and is lit on fire. He wakes up and 30 years later, he sees that same face in the mirror. The authors writing ...more
Manbir Gill
Sep 28, 2011 Manbir Gill rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The book is called horowitz horror but ironically i wasn't scred even a tiny bit.Seriously i expected so much from this book but it turned out to be the same old stories in every so-called horror book.
Lewis
Oct 13, 2011 Lewis rated it liked it
I got told by my friends that these books where spost to be scary. I was very disapointed, they were good storys but they were not scary! Read if you like fantasy (cause these storys are not scary!)
☠ Tiger Lady II ☠
Spooky... not at all like some other authors. Others merely attempt to place some random elements together to scare people, but this collection is spine chillingly good.
Sleep tight....
Pindari N.
this book of assorted horror stories was ok. Only the fist story could really be considered scary, the other ones were just 'twilight-zoney'.
Jhernandez107
Nov 05, 2009 Jhernandez107 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had multiple short stories which really kept my attention and the endings of some of these stories left me mystified.
Riannon
It was a fun light read. Some of the stories were stereotypical, some were clever, overall it was not amazing but not bad.
Alejandro Niebla mares
Se supone que deberían ser cuentos de terror ya que en la contraportada ponen que se te pondrá la piel de gallina y se te erizaran los vellos.. ¡Pues no! Al contrario, aunque llevan una temática "paranormal", siempre terminan tornandose graciosos o de ciencia ficción...

El mejor cuento de esta colección (Y el único que no da risa, y hasta causa sugestión) es "El Hombre de la Cara Amarilla"...

Mientras que el peor podría ser "La Cámara Asesina" o ese de la bañera poseída, cuyo nombre no recuerdo...
Marissa
Oct 29, 2010 Marissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book! Some of the stories were a little weird, but some of them were really good! I liked this book!
  • Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth (Tales of Terror, #3)
  • Fear: 13 Stories of Suspense and Horror
  • Devil's Footsteps
  • The Riddles of Epsilon
  • Darkness Creeping: Twenty Twisted Tales
  • Crandalls' Castle
  • Promises to the Dead
  • Mr Mumbles (Invisible Fiends, Book 1)
  • Mirror, Mirror
  • The Hunting Ground
  • Het ei van oom Trotter
  • The Long Weekend
  • Tightrope
  • Sorcerers of the Nightwing (The Ravenscliff, #1)
  • The Virago Book of Ghost Stories
  • Evil?
  • Cry of the Cat (Raven Hill Mysteries, #4)
Anthony Horowitz, OBE is ranked alongside Enid Blyton and Mark A. Cooper as "The most original and best spy-kids authors of the century." (New York Times). Anthony has been writing since the age of eight, and professionally since the age of twenty. In addition to the highly successful Alex Rider books, he is also the writer and creator of award winning detective series Foyle’s War, and more recent ...more
More about Anthony Horowitz...