Start by marking “The Necronomicon” as Want to Read:
The Necronomicon

The Necronomicon

3.07 of 5 stars 3.07  ·  rating details  ·  1,651 ratings  ·  131 reviews
The Simon Necronomicon is a purported grimoire written by an unknown author, with an introduction by a man identified only as "Simon" a possible alias of Peter Levenda. Materials presented in the book are a blend of ancient Middle Eastern mythological elements, with allusions to the writings of H. P. Lovecraft and Aleister Crowley, woven together with a story about a man k ...more
Published March 1st 1980 by Avon (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Necronomicon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Necronomicon

Mormon Doctrine by Bruce R. McConkieThe Necronomicon by SimonInside Scientology by Janet ReitmanThe Book of Mormon by Joseph Smith Jr.The Satanic Bible by Anton Szandor LaVey
Books I Don't Believe In
2nd out of 8 books — 13 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsTwilight by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
Great Books with BLACK covers
410th out of 1,201 books — 678 voters

More lists with this book...

Forrest
Well, this was written.

When I was a teenage wannabe Satanist, I shoplifted this and was very disappointed that this was all I got for my petty theft.

Hey, don't judge - it seemed really appropriate at the time!

". . . I was bored before I even began."
Gabriel
Damn love spell didn't work, fucking piece of shit book.
nichole
Dec 29, 2007 nichole rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone left all alone...like a rainbow in the dark.
i learned how to laugh and, more importantly, how to love.
Chris
When you enroll in Pagan Worship 101 at the local community college (perhaps the only class I actually attended) this promising-looking volume is thrust upon you and heralded as the True Testament of the gods. It doesn’t even take until the conclusion of the Preface or Introduction to immediately recognize that this is not the truth, and you’re immediately crushed that “Evil Dead” is no longer the cinematic embodiment of the ruling truths as to the profundities of existence. It might be just as ...more
Michael
Sep 07, 2007 Michael rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nobody
It was December 1999 and all that doomsday shit was in the air so some nutsac at the bar tells me "dude you gotta read this man.. it'll change you bro" so I borrow shithead's copy and get about 3/4 through and the long and short of it is that this is a bunch of horse shit. What kind of sniveling dick drip can sit around and read this all bug eyed and fired up? This is for when you're 13 years old and camping with some other dorks and your all sittin around sniffing glue.

Adults! Do not read this
Jon
Dec 26, 2010 Jon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young adults, DIYers, the recently divorced.
Recommended to Jon by: oprah's book club
I wish that I could give this SEVEN STARS. Judging from the reviews, Goodreads is a refuge for mediocre sorcerers who prefer non-creative fiction to creative non-fiction. A lot of times, I've found neophytes have difficulty procuring properly pure metals for the production of astral seals. I've had pretty good results from a couple of online vendors. PM me if you want their URLs.
Scott
It makes me shudder to think that there are people out there who are convinced that this is real. H.P. Lovecraft admitted he made it up. There is no real Necronomicon, least of all a copy you can buy at your local bookstore. It's (extremely) mildly entertaining fantasy, not a spellbook to reawaken the Ancient Ones.
Monkey C
my book was apparently broken.
H.K. Barclay
Dec 11, 2008 H.K. Barclay rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Bursting on to the literary scene centuries ago, the 'Mad Arab' Abdul Alhazred was hailed as one of the most talented young authors in the ancient Middle East.

Alhazred's flowing and elegant prose could be described as the Faulkner or Melville of the Arabic Occult genre. The descriptions of the sparse desert landscapes and hellish other realms is truly a joy to read. The character development is excellent as well. This epic work deserves a place on every bookshelf next to other great works of it
David
In my opinion, this is a sad little book. It isn't an attempt at a real occult book and its attempt at realism destroys any sense of parody. Any semi-serious occult scholar won't waste time on it, but probably has a copy anyway. Barely fun for Lovecraft fans and "magically" walking out of library collections everywhere, this Necronomicon is just plain boring.
Adam
Sep 07, 2011 Adam added it
what no six star rating?
This book gets funnier every time I read it, and my horns are coming in nicely.
Steve Cran
This is one of those books that is the subject of much discussion. Go to the book reviews of Amazon.com and you will find people that have performed the rituals described in this book and they will claim that they worked. Other people will tell you the book is hoax, a complete work of fiction.

Necronomicon is actually mentioned in several of HP Lovecraft's books with regards to the mythology of Ctulhu. The book is only mentioned and contents are not really spilled out. According to the mythology
Peter
May 28, 2015 Peter rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: A box of matches
Shelves: h-p-lovecraft
Really... This is not real OK. NONONONO. This is just silly cashing in on Lovecraft's fiction, please grow a brain. On page 53 you can ask your Nanna (babytalk for Grandmother) to open the gate, me, personally I would always open the gate for my Nanna. One more thing shouldn't it be Lady Nanna, NOT Lord Nanna. Do not waste money on this trash.
sologdin
following the etymology of economics (oikos + nemein, or household & to manage), this text purports to instruct the reader in the management of death. ambitious in conception, the execution leaves something to be desired. maybe next time don't rely on a lunatic as the primary authority, and instead retain an occultist of merit?
Tone
Sumerian mythology with some H.P. Lovecraft shoved in.
No historical credit.
R.
Jun 18, 2008 R. rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: chumps
Shelves: 1974-2002
Shit. When did I write the review below?! Fawkin' crazy. Anyway, I wanted to point out that William S. Burroughs blurbs this edition thusly: "Let the secrets of the ages be revealed. The publication of the Necronomicon may well be a landmark in the liberation of the human spirit."

Shuffling around Hastings, I flipped through the latest volume of Weird Tales wherein they count down the top weird writers of the past 85 years. Yep, Burroughs is there. Lovecraft? Of course! Kafka? Sure. But also Tom
Alabaster
While a tremendous amount of 'astral interference' surrounded the publication of this ground-breaking modern grimoire, it has had a lasting and powerful impact upon modern occultism ever since it first appeared. True, it's mostly a recapitualtion of some sort of pseudo-Sumerian magick and not the literal Necronomicon of H. P. Lovecraft, but it delivers more real magick than 90% of what most newage publishers have churned out this year, or any previous year.

Many occult traditions arise form ambig
Feliks
Its a horrible book; offering nothing truly of value for the fan of magic and the supernatural. I've read extensively in this genre and this is one of the few books I've ever tossed aside in disgust. It goes to great lengths to suggest a very limited, constricted, alternate history for the universe--describing a hierarchy of gods which most people would never have heard of--okay, that's not so alarming. But then it goes on to suggest how many of the world's civilizations were really based on the ...more
Charles
All of H.P. Lovecraft's work are a wonder to get lost in. When I first read this, I had nightmares for 2 years afterwards. It was if I had became the "Mad Arab" himself. I climbed the ladder of lights! Created the sacred seals! And talked to multitudes of dis-embodied spirits -if you could call them that. I walked among the ancients beyond the veils of space and time!!!

But seriously folks. The book comes with a warning!!! Beware! Once you read this little epic piece of literature, you will never
Jaybird Rex
Though I've seen them shelved together, this book is nothing like Anton LaVey's Satanic Bible. Rather, it can safely to be added to the New Age shelf.

The text is a jumble of some actual ancient mythology lovingly tossed together with various creations of fiction writer H. P. Lovecraft. Worth a glance and a grin if Lovecraft's to your taste but absolutely not scholarly in any way, shape, or unnameable form.

I read this in a Midwestern high school in the '90s and was asked if I worshipped the Devil
James
This book is purportedly a "real" translation of the fictional book made up by H.P. Lovecraft. Lovecraft repeatedly made references and even explicitly stated that the book was fictional.
With that in mind, Simon's Necronomicon, as it is known, should be viewed as a work of fiction - Despite what the authors say otherwise.
The book begins with a lengthy introduction about the context of the "translation" as you may expect for an important text like The Inferno of Dante for example.
The book then
Ed Nemo
This book is beyond ridiculous. While there have been many "Books of the Dead", this one was made up to capitalize on FICTIONAL work.

The books uses prints from the Key of Solomon and other books to make a rather pathetic book that appeals to the little hipsters that think using Thoth Tarot cards they bought from Walden books actually mean something.

Really? Are people this idiotic?
Sean Seger
I don't know if this book was supposed to be funny, but it's just so wierd and lame I couldn't help but laugh.

This book DOES NOT add anything to Lovecraft's mythos. So read it for what it is - an unitentional farce. If you feel the need to read it at all.

As a matter of fact, the unintentional humor is the only thing keeping this book from getting 1 star.
Ron
Often in Lovecraft's work, he makes mention of certain mythic books. The Necronomicon, is just one such book. Yet there are those who believe it to be an actual occultic tome of great and dark power. It is a work on fiction inspired by Lovecraft. It is interesting so long as one accepts it as such and might have wondered what it might actually look like.
ʍous ƃuıʞ
Sep 13, 2009 ʍous ƃuıʞ rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anybody with a interest in the necronomicon or occult history.

My advice... dont open it unless you are willing to finish it.

It changed my life forever. And the lives of any of my friends who ever picked it up and read it when we was in high school all those years ago...

I think we all still own copies of it and carry them with us through life...

Its no hoax.

Peregrine 12
Dec 12, 2010 Peregrine 12 rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Beginners of Yog-Sothoth (but not Cthulhu)
Recommended to Peregrine 12 by: Zar Yamon, the Mad Arab; Ash
Dude, it would be alot easier to use this thing if winged, hooved monsters would quit STEALING it from my library every new moon. And those little black candles that it comes with - they don't even work. I couldn't resurrect anything larger than a cat. Seriously, what a rip-off.
Marcus
No, this is not the book described in the works of Loecraft, not by far... No mention of the Elder Things and others. The forgers could at least have paid more attention to details and the canon.
Markus
Fun read. Half decent source on names of sumarion-babylonion dieties. Beyond that you would be a moron to practice anything in these pages without intensive research beyond just this book.
M. A. P.
Garbage, which attempts to make justice to Lovecraft's carefully crafted mythos, but fails miserably. A soulless prop, a fancy beer mat.
Rich Tetnbneruot
Apr 08, 2014 Rich Tetnbneruot rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovecraft Fans
The book is a novelty and most likely only appreciated by fans of H.P. Lovecraft or Clark Ashton Smith... The book is NOT a historical occult tome, it is purely fictional and is essentially just a "prop" in a way that it adds a little bit of substance outside of the few stories that actually make mention of the Necronomicon ~ it really serves no purpose otherwise, and without having read the stories that mention it, this book would be highly misunderstood out of context. It's sad that many peopl ...more
Review needed 2 11 Jul 05, 2013 08:01AM
  • The Satanic Rituals
  • Nocturnicon: Calling Dark Forces and Powers
  • The Book of the Law
  • Liber Kaos
  • Condensed Chaos: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • The Magician's Companion: A Practical and Encyclopedic Guide to Magical and Religious Symbolism (Llewellyn's Sourcebook)
  • The Bible Of The Adversary
  • Enochian Vision Magick: An Introduction and Practical Guide to the Magick of Dr. John Dee and Edward Kelley
  • Lords Of The Left Hand Path: A History Of Spiritual Dissent
  • The Goetia the Lesser Key of Solomon the King: Lemegeton, Book 1 Clavicula Salomonis Regis
  • Might is Right
  • Three Books of Occult Philosophy
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft
  • The Magus: A Complete System of Occult Philosophy
Librarian note: This author uses only one name.
More about Simon...
Necronomicon Spellbook Dead Names: The Dark History of the Necronomicon The Gates of the Necronomicon Papal Magic: Occult Practices Within the Catholic Church Necronomicón: El libro de la Ley de los Muertos (Bonus)