Start by marking “The Necronomicon” as Want to Read:
The Necronomicon

The Necronomicon

3.12  ·  Rating Details ·  1,946 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews
The Simon Necronomicon is a purported grimoire written by an unknown author, with an introduction by a man identified only as "Simon" a possible alias of Peter Levenda. Materials presented in the book are a blend of ancient Middle Eastern mythological elements, with allusions to the writings of H. P. Lovecraft and Aleister Crowley, woven together with a story about a man k ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published March 1st 1980 by Avon (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Necronomicon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Necronomicon

Forrest
May 06, 2015 Forrest rated it it was ok
Well, this was written.

When I was a teenage wannabe Satanist, I shoplifted this and was very disappointed that this was all I got for my petty theft.

Hey, don't judge - it seemed really appropriate at the time!

". . . I was bored before I even began."
Gabriel
Mar 26, 2007 Gabriel rated it did not like it
Shelves: craphat
Damn love spell didn't work, fucking piece of shit book.
nichole
Dec 29, 2007 nichole rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone left all alone...like a rainbow in the dark.
i learned how to laugh and, more importantly, how to love.
Chris
Jan 03, 2008 Chris rated it did not like it
When you enroll in Pagan Worship 101 at the local community college (perhaps the only class I actually attended) this promising-looking volume is thrust upon you and heralded as the True Testament of the gods. It doesn’t even take until the conclusion of the Preface or Introduction to immediately recognize that this is not the truth, and you’re immediately crushed that “Evil Dead” is no longer the cinematic embodiment of the ruling truths as to the profundities of existence. It might be just as ...more
Nicholas Kaufmann
Jul 26, 2015 Nicholas Kaufmann rated it did not like it
This book is baloney. I can't believe I wasted my money on it. I cast every spell in its pages and nothing-- Wait. What's that noise? No! A clawlike hand at the window! AAAAAIIIIIEEEEEEE!
Michael
Sep 07, 2007 Michael rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
It was December 1999 and all that doomsday shit was in the air so some nutsac at the bar tells me "dude you gotta read this man.. it'll change you bro" so I borrow shithead's copy and get about 3/4 through and the long and short of it is that this is a bunch of horse shit. What kind of sniveling dick drip can sit around and read this all bug eyed and fired up? This is for when you're 13 years old and camping with some other dorks and your all sittin around sniffing glue.

Adults! Do not read this
Adam
Sep 07, 2011 Adam added it
what no six star rating?
This book gets funnier every time I read it, and my horns are coming in nicely.
Monkey C
Aug 08, 2007 Monkey C rated it did not like it
Shelves: occult
my book was apparently broken.
H.K. Barclay
Dec 08, 2008 H.K. Barclay rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Bursting on to the literary scene centuries ago, the 'Mad Arab' Abdul Alhazred was hailed as one of the most talented young authors in the ancient Middle East.

Alhazred's flowing and elegant prose could be described as the Faulkner or Melville of the Arabic Occult genre. The descriptions of the sparse desert landscapes and hellish other realms is truly a joy to read. The character development is excellent as well. This epic work deserves a place on every bookshelf next to other great works of it
Delbert
Mar 28, 2008 Delbert rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young adults, DIYers, the recently divorced.
Recommended to Delbert by: oprah's book club
I wish that I could give this SEVEN STARS. Judging from the reviews, Goodreads is a refuge for mediocre sorcerers who prefer non-creative fiction to creative non-fiction. A lot of times, I've found neophytes have difficulty procuring properly pure metals for the production of astral seals. I've had pretty good results from a couple of online vendors. PM me if you want their URLs.
Scott
Nov 05, 2009 Scott rated it did not like it
It makes me shudder to think that there are people out there who are convinced that this is real. H.P. Lovecraft admitted he made it up. There is no real Necronomicon, least of all a copy you can buy at your local bookstore. It's (extremely) mildly entertaining fantasy, not a spellbook to reawaken the Ancient Ones.
David
Feb 15, 2008 David rated it did not like it
Shelves: back-shelf
In my opinion, this is a sad little book. It isn't an attempt at a real occult book and its attempt at realism destroys any sense of parody. Any semi-serious occult scholar won't waste time on it, but probably has a copy anyway. Barely fun for Lovecraft fans and "magically" walking out of library collections everywhere, this Necronomicon is just plain boring.
Steve Cran
This is one of those books that is the subject of much discussion. Go to the book reviews of Amazon.com and you will find people that have performed the rituals described in this book and they will claim that they worked. Other people will tell you the book is hoax, a complete work of fiction.

Necronomicon is actually mentioned in several of HP Lovecraft's books with regards to the mythology of Ctulhu. The book is only mentioned and contents are not really spilled out. According to the mythology
Peter
May 21, 2015 Peter rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: A box of matches
Shelves: h-p-lovecraft
Really... This is not real OK. NONONONO. This is just silly cashing in on Lovecraft's fiction, please grow a brain. On page 53 you can ask your Nanna (babytalk for Grandmother) to open the gate, me, personally I would always open the gate for my Nanna. One more thing shouldn't it be Lady Nanna, NOT Lord Nanna. Do not waste money on this trash.
sologdin
Mar 03, 2014 sologdin rated it did not like it
following the etymology of economics (oikos + nemein, or household & to manage), this text purports to instruct the reader in the management of death. ambitious in conception, the execution leaves something to be desired. maybe next time don't rely on a lunatic as the primary authority, and instead retain an occultist of merit?
Saskia
Aug 22, 2013 Saskia rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
Did not go insane. Severely disappointed.
Tone
Aug 18, 2007 Tone rated it it was ok
Shelves: beliefs, scripture
Sumerian mythology with some H.P. Lovecraft shoved in.
No historical credit.
R.
Sep 23, 2007 R. rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: chumps
Shelves: 1974-2002
Shit. When did I write the review below?! Fawkin' crazy. Anyway, I wanted to point out that William S. Burroughs blurbs this edition thusly: "Let the secrets of the ages be revealed. The publication of the Necronomicon may well be a landmark in the liberation of the human spirit."

Shuffling around Hastings, I flipped through the latest volume of Weird Tales wherein they count down the top weird writers of the past 85 years. Yep, Burroughs is there. Lovecraft? Of course! Kafka? Sure. But also Tom
Charles
Jun 21, 2013 Charles rated it it was amazing
All of H.P. Lovecraft's work are a wonder to get lost in. When I first read this, I had nightmares for 2 years afterwards. It was if I had became the "Mad Arab" himself. I climbed the ladder of lights! Created the sacred seals! And talked to multitudes of dis-embodied spirits -if you could call them that. I walked among the ancients beyond the veils of space and time!!!

But seriously folks. The book comes with a warning!!! Beware! Once you read this little epic piece of literature, you will never
Jaybird Rex
Apr 20, 2010 Jaybird Rex rated it liked it
Though I've seen them shelved together, this book is nothing like Anton LaVey's Satanic Bible. Rather, it can safely to be added to the New Age shelf.

The text is a jumble of some actual ancient mythology lovingly tossed together with various creations of fiction writer H. P. Lovecraft. Worth a glance and a grin if Lovecraft's to your taste but absolutely not scholarly in any way, shape, or unnameable form.

I read this in a Midwestern high school in the '90s and was asked if I worshipped the Devil
Ron
May 13, 2012 Ron rated it liked it
Often in Lovecraft's work, he makes mention of certain mythic books. The Necronomicon, is just one such book. Yet there are those who believe it to be an actual occultic tome of great and dark power. It is a work on fiction inspired by Lovecraft. It is interesting so long as one accepts it as such and might have wondered what it might actually look like.
Alabaster
Oct 29, 2009 Alabaster rated it it was amazing
Shelves: occult
While a tremendous amount of 'astral interference' surrounded the publication of this ground-breaking modern grimoire, it has had a lasting and powerful impact upon modern occultism ever since it first appeared. True, it's mostly a recapitualtion of some sort of pseudo-Sumerian magick and not the literal Necronomicon of H. P. Lovecraft, but it delivers more real magick than 90% of what most newage publishers have churned out this year, or any previous year.

Many occult traditions arise form ambig
Feliks
Jan 02, 2013 Feliks rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Its a horrible book; offering nothing truly of value for the fan of magic and the supernatural. I've read extensively in this genre and this is one of the few books I've ever tossed aside in disgust. It goes to great lengths to suggest a very limited, constricted, alternate history for the universe--describing a hierarchy of gods which most people would never have heard of--okay, that's not so alarming. But then it goes on to suggest how many of the world's civilizations were really based on the ...more
Bailey Fernandez
Nov 27, 2015 Bailey Fernandez rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic
I think a lot of people are approaching this book wrong. OF COURSE it's a work of fiction, I don't think any of us would be here if it weren't. It's such an obvious homage to Lovecraft that I'm surprised that it's even a question for anyone, let alone that people would get offended over it not being real.

Now whether you like this is a completely different person. I'm somebody who has a really strong interest in mythologies (fictional or otherwise), alternate realities, and esoteric writing/poet
ʍous ƃuıʞ
Sep 13, 2009 ʍous ƃuıʞ rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anybody with a interest in the necronomicon or occult history.

My advice... dont open it unless you are willing to finish it.

It changed my life forever. And the lives of any of my friends who ever picked it up and read it when we was in high school all those years ago...

I think we all still own copies of it and carry them with us through life...

Its no hoax.

Ed Nemo
Jul 03, 2011 Ed Nemo rated it did not like it
Shelves: utter-crap
This book is beyond ridiculous. While there have been many "Books of the Dead", this one was made up to capitalize on FICTIONAL work.

The books uses prints from the Key of Solomon and other books to make a rather pathetic book that appeals to the little hipsters that think using Thoth Tarot cards they bought from Walden books actually mean something.

Really? Are people this idiotic?
Sean Seger
Jan 31, 2008 Sean Seger rated it it was ok
I don't know if this book was supposed to be funny, but it's just so wierd and lame I couldn't help but laugh.

This book DOES NOT add anything to Lovecraft's mythos. So read it for what it is - an unitentional farce. If you feel the need to read it at all.

As a matter of fact, the unintentional humor is the only thing keeping this book from getting 1 star.
PrestonThecommunist
Oct 31, 2016 PrestonThecommunist rated it it was amazing
I would HIGHLY recommend this to your satanist/occult friends/Crazy ones just to watch and laugh at them for trying to preform the wacky spells within this book. I tried to bring back the dead but it cost me an arm, A leg and, a brother (FMA Reference)
Peregrine 12
Dec 12, 2010 Peregrine 12 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Beginners of Yog-Sothoth (but not Cthulhu)
Recommended to Peregrine 12 by: Zar Yamon, the Mad Arab; Ash
Dude, it would be alot easier to use this thing if winged, hooved monsters would quit STEALING it from my library every new moon. And those little black candles that it comes with - they don't even work. I couldn't resurrect anything larger than a cat. Seriously, what a rip-off.
Justin
Aug 22, 2016 Justin rated it did not like it
Wish I would have read this earlier on in life. I always thought the Preliminary Purification Invocation required GARNET, not lapis lazuli.

(Don't bother reading this. Just read Lovecraft.)
Review needed 2 11 Jul 05, 2013 08:01AM
  • Nocturnicon: Calling Dark Forces and Powers
  • The Satanic Rituals
  • The Magician's Companion: A Practical and Encyclopedic Guide to Magical and Religious Symbolism (Llewellyn's Sourcebook)
  • The Book of the Law
  • Complete Enochian Dictionary: A Dictionary of the Angelic Language as Revealed to Dr. John Dee and Edward Kelley
  • Condensed Chaos: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • Luciferian Witchcraft
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft
  • The Goetia the Lesser Key of Solomon the King: Lemegeton, Book 1 Clavicula Salomonis Regis
  • Liber Kaos
  • Lords Of The Left Hand Path: A History Of Spiritual Dissent
  • The Urban Primitive: Paganism in the Concrete Jungle
  • A Field Guide to Otherkin
  • Enochian Vision Magick: An Introduction and Practical Guide to the Magick of Dr. John Dee and Edward Kelley
  • Llewellyn's Complete Book of Correspondences: A Comprehensive & Cross-Referenced Resource for Pagans & Wiccans
Librarian note: This author uses only one name.
More about Simon...