Start by marking “U2: The Road to Pop” as Want to Read:
U2: The Road to Pop

U2: The Road to Pop

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Carter Alan tracks the U2's incredible rise in America. Alan, a freelance writer and music director for WBCN Boston, one of the country's most important modern rock radio stations, has traveled extensively with U2 and hosted several syndicated radio specials with the band. Using material from years of exclusive interviews with the group and its management, he explores the ...more
Published September 1st 1997 by Faber & Faber (first published October 31st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about U2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about U2

Trevor
This is the updated and released book formally known as Outside is America: U2 in the U.S. For some reason a lot of hard-core U2 fans hold luke-warm feelings when it comes to The Road to Pop. I happened to have enjoyed reading this book. It was a very easy novelesque read for even the casual fan. I will say that the author does interject his own theories behind certain aspects in the bands history. In the end I would recommend The Road to Pop to a casual-big fan of U2.
Jeanette
As much as I love U2, I just could not get into this one. I've read a ton of books about my favorite bands, but this one just couldn't keep my focus for long at all. Luckily there are plenty of books on U2 to choose from. I will move on to one of those :)
Grindy Stone
Hagiography, reads like a U2 press release or a fan club newsletter.
Allison
carter allen played the first u2 song in the united states. this was on the now non existent wbcn in boston.

back in the day when they weren't a household name, everytime they toured he would host u2 a-z. this was with songs like j swallo, and walk to the water included. sometimes u2 would be there, sometimes not. but carter knows his stuff.
for one thing he knows the lead guitarist name isn't Ed.
Mlewis91
Dec 12, 2009 Mlewis91 is currently reading it
I bought U2 CDs and listened to them as I read the parts of the book that focused on each CD.
I got Boy, October, War, Under A Blood Red Sky, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Three, and Achtung Baby so far.
Paul Chandler
I really really like U2. And I like behind the scenes stories. Great Match
Lafcadio
Jan 14, 2008 Lafcadio rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lafcadio by: Mike
Shelves: medium, nutshell, suite
Too bad it ends at Pop... not a very good album.
Brandon Mata
Brandon Mata marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Peter Cortissos
Peter Cortissos marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2012
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2012
Luke
Luke marked it as to-read
May 13, 2012
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2011
Emma
Emma added it
Nov 14, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Radio Free Boston: The Rise and Fall of WBCN Outside Is America: U2 in the U.S. U2 Wide Awake in America Outside Is America Life on the Road: The Incredible Rock and Roll Adventures of Dinky Dawson